Isle of Mull - Loch Buie

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Adamcycles17

Isle of Mull - Loch Buie

Post by Adamcycles17 »

Looking at the OS maps, there is a track west of Loch Buie to Carsaig. How doable is this by bicycle? Anyone been that way?
roubaixtuesday

Re: Isle of Mull - Loch Buie

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Adamcycles17 wrote:Looking at the OS maps, there is a track west of Loch Buie to Carsaig. How doable is this by bicycle? Anyone been that way?

Not done it, but happy memories of cycling the road to Lochbuie.

Just a path according to my OS.

Description here includes scrambling with a rope.

So should be fine on a bike!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/mull/ca ... buie.shtml
Adamcycles17

Post by Adamcycles17 »

Thanks. I think will stick to the road!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've only been as far as Lochbuie. Beyond there the track continues but only for a short distance. Thereafter it's walkable but I wouldn't fancy carrying a bike.

The Geograph site is very useful for reconnaissance. Just click on the squares to view photographs.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

When i cycled on mull i purchased the footprint visitors' map on the ferry over. Necessary since I had done precisely no days planning and went up on a whim because the weather looked nice :oops: .
http://stirlingsurveys.co.uk/visit.php
It shows all footpaths, and also paths suitable for cycling (the route you're looking at is defintely not shown!)
Importantly (for me), it gets the whole island on one page, but is at a large enough scale to be easy to navigate with. Also shows relief, places of interest etc.
Waterproof too (though fortunately I am unable to verify that).
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Pendodave wrote:When i cycled on mull i purchased the footprint visitors' map on the ferry over. Necessary since I had done precisely no days planning and went up on a whim because the weather looked nice :oops: .
http://stirlingsurveys.co.uk/visit.php
It shows all footpaths, and also paths suitable for cycling (the route you're looking at is defintely not shown!)
Importantly (for me), it gets the whole island on one page, but is at a large enough scale to be easy to navigate with. Also shows relief, places of interest etc.
Waterproof too (though fortunately I am unable to verify that).

I've not seen these maps before, nice clear cartography

http://stirlingsurveys.co.uk/images/map ... sample.jpg

Good for route planning I'd have thought looking at the sample, though for me I'd stick with OS 25k for on the ground navigation off road.

All the best,

Keith
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

It’s an on and off path. Rocky in places, one bit has a fixed rope. Would not fancy it with a bike, definitely not with a loaded bike
dondelion

Post by dondelion »

We were there touring last autumn and spent a lovely night camping on the beach at the beginning of that track. Comments from walkers put us off riding the track and we had 2.5 inch tyres. There's a cafe on the beach too. The track along the beach to Moy castle was a nice ride. We just did it as an overnight in and out from the A849 but felt it was totally worth it.
Adamcycles17

Post by Adamcycles17 »

Thank you for the map. I've ordered it.