Made to fit or Off the rack tourer for long distance touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cycle tramp

Re: Made to fit or Off the rack tourer for long distance touring

Post by cycle tramp »

I can understand the concerns about bike security. The first week long tour on did way back in 2004, was on a bike purchased less than 6 months before the start... it looked so shiny and new, I thought it was a proper thief magnet. I did the usual things of getting a big lock for it and swapping the quick release levers on the wheels for security ones and I also got a cover for it...
...but there's no substitute for wear and tear on a bike for making it less of a thief magnet. 17 years on and the top tube is covered in three layers of different paint, there's scratches elsewhere, the mudguards have been swapped twice, (I've got some very old dented alloy mudguards at the moment) and because I use steel handlebars, I've got some small patches of rust too. The bike looks like a garage find - and no ones gonna be interested in it. If you get a chance really put some miles on your new bike, and don't get upset if you scratch or ding it either - it's a tool not a work of art :-) if you google search 'ultra romance bicycles' that's that sort of finish that keeps thieves away - worn, repaired and very much used.
Because I live close to Bridgwater, Somerset, my last four frames and wheels have come from Thorn, Saint John Street Cycles. Two brand new ones, two second hand. Because I like to carry stuff I use their expedition rated frames - I wouldn't describe them as 'fast bikes' but they handle really well either loaded up or not and over a wide variety of surfaces too, they've also got loads of clearance for wide tyres and mudguards. They're sturdy too, I tend to fall off once every year and I've not broken a frame yet :-)
pq

Post by pq »

A few things.

1. Bike security. That never goes away. Your bike isn't just a thing of financial value - if it gets stolen that's your tour ruined and likely all or most of your gear gone as well. I never leave my bike unattended for that reason.

2. A really fundamental decision you have to make is wheel size. When I was doing the sort of trip you're planning, that was 26" becasue tyres could be found in that size absolutely everywhere. You need to check but once you get away from rich countries that's probably still the case and therefore is the size you should use.

3. I have a very quirky fully custom expedition tourer. It gathers dust these days but was a superbly reliable machine - I thought a lot about the spec. It cost far more than you're willing to spend and is so old now that I'm not suggesting you'd build something like it today, but the thought process I went through is maybe still interesting: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 65310&v=3t Since I wrote that the bike has stayed pretty much the same except it now has V brakes.
One link to your website is enough. G
djb

Post by djb »

Pq, such good advice to add to others here. We'll see if the person ever returns.

I would add that really other than rim brakes, and your choice of shifters, it's very possible today to set up a bike in the same vein as yours. Years past when I followed Hugh and Pauline Symonds trips on crazyguy (think i have names right) i found their bikes to be very neat and i liked the general approach. Robert Roughstuffs comes to mind, maybe I'm not remembering correctly, with similar characteristics as yours.
Similar frame, take wide tires, drops. Now theirs use rohlofs, mechanical discs, but your and their bikes very much influenced me in my choice of using a surly troll as a base.

I figure the real issue nowadays is the reduced existence of mtb triples, which I still feel is the most appropriate for this type of touring.
pq

Post by pq »

On reflection I'm not sure I'd do it much differently even now. I don't really want discs, and I've solved one of the big disadvantages of rim brakes by fitting those Rigida CSS rims which essentially never wear out. Things like downtube shifters and MTB triple chainsets are easily sourced, even NOS if the fancy takes you, although I'd probably go wth a Rohloff nowadays - not an option back then.
djb

Post by djb »

I was surprised that you didnt go CSS, and while probably very rare now to find, yours will last and last from what the little I've read. I get the dt super tough thing, out of the way of any throwing of bike on top of stuff on top of a truck or whatever. Unlike you, although I rode them for decades, I'm not inclined to go back to them, but not keen on bar end shifters either, why I went the Gevenalle route (although am realistic that they are exposed to bashing a certain amount, but haven't been in compromising situations that bad so far, touch wood)

and yes, as you say, triples are easily sourced.
pq

Post by pq »

When I wrote that journal the bike didn't have CSS rims, I don't think they were even available. I hate replacing things before they've worn out, but as I recall, the front rim I had then got sold to a couple on a tandem who'd wrecked theirs in Tajikistan just as I was about to head home and the rear wore out.
Me Ol Badger

Post by Me Ol Badger »

So much useful info here.

Whilst I’ve done much cycling over the years on and off road I have never done any touring (What have I been missing out on????)

The idea of building my touring bike has been sitting there for many years and it’s only now I have decided to build it. So after much searching, reading and watching YouTube and trying to find places that had a Genesis in stock I ended up at the Oxford Bike Works (nice and local for me). Interestingly I only came across this group today (no idea why it took this long). I am very happy to note that much of what has been said in terms of components and frames I’ve found very reassuring that I’m making good decisions (forgive me, so much has been said can’t recount all of it). However brakes has been an interesting subject; I’ve gone with v-brakes because getting the frame made to take disc brakes was more than I wanted to spend, I even asked the question whether the frame could be made to take both types - I was encouraged not to consider that.

One thing I did notice was tyre size a few said 2” - I’ve gone with 1.75. I plan to take my trusty stead where ever I can, tarmac, gravel, mud sand etc. So that has me thinking...

Just like to say thank you to all contributors I found it very useful and reassuring. :D
Bensonater

Post by Bensonater »

All – Apologies wasn’t expecting this many responses and after working all week decided to check this morning expecting one or two. So thankyou all for all of your advice. I’ll try and respond to all questions below!

For the questions on size I am a slightly larger rider. 6’2 and around 105kg so not your typical cyclist frame but should be fine with a larger stock frame.

PH – Thankyou for the knowledge that British bike makers are still using non british hardware. It would still give me a sense of pride riding around on a British brand but makes me feel better knowing if I don’t go down this route I’m not giving up too much!

DJB – The low gearing advice has been fantastic and something that I hadn’t heard or thought about from cycling in central America. After reading a bit more into it using MTB gearing seems like a must for this section and some of the steeper sections of the trip. Thankyou for this and the advice of your heavy fellow and the sturdy 36 spoke wheels. May need to heed this advice. Lovely bike as well btw. In terms of going alone with others there’s no one else I know that would join haha but I prefer the challenge of going alone and getting it done solo.

Sid Aluminium – Thankyou for the bike suggestion and fun fact!

Mistik-ka – This was exactly what I’d posted this for haha Someone to gush about getting a custom fit. I would ask where you went to get this but posting in Canada might be a bit different. I’ll still ask though! What brand or company did you use?

Thehairs1970 – I haven’t heard about cyclingabout.com but will take a look now!.

Simonhill - Again thankyou for the advice. The plan is to get the rig setup and do a few test rides through Europe so buying in the US would save money but I don’t think will be an option. Thankyou for the advice on thefts. It’s not something that I want to be overly concerned about but it sounds like the concern will be there regardless of the cost of the bike so shouldn’t worry about it too much. The covid point is something I’ve ummed and arred about but I feel like this is going to be around for years either way you cut it. So if I don’t do it now I don’t know whether it will ever get done!

Haven’t had a chance to read through the other responses in depth apologies but I will come back.

Thankyou for all of your help so far it has really helped clarify a few things.