Made to fit or Off the rack tourer for long distance touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thirdcrank

Re: Made to fit or Off the rack tourer for long distance touring

Post by thirdcrank »

its worth putting money into a really good wheels

In spades. I've no experience of recent off-the-peg higher-end bikes but as a general point, when bikes are sold to suit retailing "price points" the money will be concentrated on high profile component such as the gears and chainset. Stuff not immediately and easily recognised as Campag (Campy?) this or Shimano that will be where the economies are made. Spokes and wheel building are in that latter category. Get the strongest you can afford.
djb

Post by djb »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'll just leave this here :lol:

https://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/produc ... quill-stem

Not too shabby ain't it?
Even though ive toured on rim brakes for decades, I still would recommend someone who is going to spend the money on a new bike anyway, to go the disc route, simply from knowing that a trip like this will entail a lot, lot of riding on dirt and very possibly wet, gritty riding. I think its fair to say that finding a top quality 26in rim is a lot harder nowadays, so a really good strong disc wheelset will at least not have rim wear as a factor in such a long trip (1 year, 1.5 years?)

I've only had one disc bike now, but even then, I have to say that I'm sold--especially for a very high possibility of % gritty riding down mountains, and a bike with lots of stuff on it.
Of course we used, and still use rim brakes and they are fine, but starting from scratch like this fellow, I have to give the nod to disc.

but that bike is a beaut isnt it?

re racks, again , for such a long and tough trip, I also think its worth getting top racks like Tubus for the long run.
I also set up my panniers without the Ortlieb inserts, and fattened up the rack rails with tubing, to almost eliminate any rattling and movement. Worked really well.and nice over so many rough roads.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

If I was going to sit on a bike for a year I’d spend what I could afford. You’ll need to spend a significant amount and whether £1k or £3k it will stick out like a sore thumb. The first week on gravel roads will help and your peace of mind will improve with your confidence. There are lots of good options mentioned above. For me it would be a Thorn nomad with a rohloff, but I am biased...
djb

Post by djb »

geocycle wrote:If I was going to sit on a bike for a year I’d spend what I could afford. You’ll need to spend a significant amount and whether £1k or £3k it will stick out like a sore thumb. The first week on gravel roads will help and your peace of mind will improve with your confidence. There are lots of good options mentioned above. For me it would be a Thorn nomad with a rohloff, but I am biased...

re sticking out----there is no doubt that in any non first world country, us and our bikes and stuff are always going to stick out, and its obvious that we are "rich gringos".
re security and being on your own certainly is trickier, and why I preferred to do them with others. Even simple stuff like buying food, checking out hotels, border crossings, are all so much easier when one person can watch the bikes and the other can safely take the time to do whatever needs doing.

of course its doable on your own, its just easier with two (but not easy to find traavelling companions that you can get along with and have similar pace and views on things)
djb

Post by djb »

thirdcrank wrote:
its worth putting money into a really good wheels

In spades. I've no experience of recent off-the-peg higher-end bikes but as a general point, when bikes are sold to suit retailing "price points" the money will be concentrated on high profile component such as the gears and chainset. Stuff not immediately and easily recognised as Campag (Campy?) this or Shimano that will be where the economies are made. Spokes and wheel building are in that latter category. Get the strongest you can afford.

I realized that my friend who did alaska to bottom of south america, his bikes were pretty much stock EXCEPT that as a really big and heavy guy, he had custom wheels that he knew could handle him and his very heavy load---so I was off base saying that they were stock.
He is a heavy heavy fellow, but I know that a good quality 36 spoke touring wheel for lighter riders can be sufficient.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

As others have said, strong hand-built wheels are a must. I'm partial to disc brakes (only if you have spare pads in your kit for roadside replacement; this bit of foresight saved us on a tour of Britain when we discovered that the most common disc brakes in Canada were almost unheard-of on your side of the water) but there is room for argument on that question.

As far as a custom-built, fitted frame goes, it was with some fiscal trepidation that I paid an experienced fitter with a very fancy measurement/adjustment rig to spend the time required to sort out the ideal positions of seat, bars, bottom bracket, and crank length, and submitted those measurements to a custom frame-builder. Worth it? Oh yes, many times over. At 6' 2" (as I was then) I had never before ridden a bicycle that was truly a good fit. What a revelation!

Not just for touring, when I might spend eight hours a day in the saddle, but for a quick trip to the grocery store or for my daily half-hour ride to or from work, a well-fitted bicycle made the whole experience so much better. Mrs. M-k and I scraped and saved and had a custom-fit tandem built to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary — best money we ever spent.

In the long run a custom-framed bicycle has actually saved money: I no longer dream of getting 'just one more bicycle' in the search for something better. There are prettier bicycles out there, but when I get on my bicycle I realize it's just right — the only one I'm likely to need for the rest of my life.
djb

Post by djb »

Mistik-ka wrote:As others have said, strong hand-built wheels are a must. I'm partial to disc brakes (only if you have spare pads in your kit for roadside replacement; this bit of foresight saved us on a tour of Britain when we discovered that the most common disc brakes in Canada were almost unheard-of on your side of the water) but there is room for argument on that question.

As far as a custom-built, fitted frame goes, it was with some fiscal trepidation that I paid an experienced fitter with a very fancy measurement/adjustment rig to spend the time required to sort out the ideal positions of seat, bars, bottom bracket, and crank length, and submitted those measurements to a custom frame-builder. Worth it? Oh yes, many times over. At 6' 2" (as I was then) I had never before ridden a bicycle that was truly a good fit. What a revelation!

Not just for touring, when I might spend eight hours a day in the saddle, but for a quick trip to the grocery store or for my daily half-hour ride to or from work, a well-fitted bicycle made the whole experience so much better. Mrs. M-k and I scraped and saved and had a custom-fit tandem built to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary — best money we ever spent.

In the long run a custom-framed bicycle has actually saved money: I no longer dream of getting 'just one more bicycle' in the search for something better. There are prettier bicycles out there, but when I get on my bicycle I realize it's just right — the only one I'm likely to need for the rest of my life.

Who wudda thunk, two canucks on here.
I'm curious, what brakes and pads were hard to find. Hopefully I'll ride in the UK one day, oh and how long ago was this? I have avid bb7s.

Re custom, thankfully most of us can fiddle with stems to get a really good fit stockish. I'm glad I have any way, even using a very short stem on my Troll pictured earlier.
But yes, totally agree on getting a bike to fit really well for touring.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

djb wrote:I'm curious, what brakes and pads were hard to find. Hopefully I'll ride in the UK one day, oh and how long ago was this? I have avid bb7s.

Yup, it was BB7s in the "road bike" configuration — rare as hen's teeth in the English Midlands in 2017.

They worked just fine on our tandem, but miles and weeks of wet weather, canal towpaths, bridle and shared-use paths, mud, and sand wore the pads down at a rate I have never seen on the dry Canadian prairies. :shock: (Oh yeah, there were a few hills in Yorkshire and Lancashire, too.)

In fact it's probably a good idea to carry a spare set of brake pads when touring, no matter which brakes or where you'll be riding.
djb

Post by djb »

Mistik-ka wrote:
djb wrote:I'm curious, what brakes and pads were hard to find. Hopefully I'll ride in the UK one day, oh and how long ago was this? I have avid bb7s.

Yup, it was BB7s in the "road bike" configuration — rare as hen's teeth in the English Midlands in 2017.

They worked just fine on our tandem, but miles and weeks of wet weather, canal towpaths, bridle and shared-use paths, mud, and sand wore the pads down at a rate I have never seen on the dry Canadian prairies. :shock: (Oh yeah, there were a few hills in Yorkshire and Lancashire, too.)

In fact it's probably a good idea to carry a spare set of brake pads when touring, no matter which brakes or where you'll be riding.

Mine are mtb bb7, don’t know if diff pads, but thanks for heads up.
I’ve mostly toured in dry conditions,but in lots of mountains. Re wear, I changed my fronts at about 6000kms but I’m sure I could have gotten close to 10,000k if conditions were similar. I was very impressed with pad life, but that’s me and my braking patterns, ie not dragging brakes and as little as possible.
Yes, I’ve carried a spare set generally.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

FWIW

Surely this depends on your route. If you are sticking to tarmac for most of it, you could get away with less than if you go off road or gravel.

I’d look at what others have used. I’m sure Surlys have been used for similar and managed fine. I know the new Trucker has areas of concern over the spec but a frame could be bought and built up - compromise? I’d love a Koga

Have you seen cyclingabout.com? Loads of great advice on loads of bikes. The world traveller starts a5 just over £2k but can be specified more I believe.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A few comments.

As alluded to somewhere above, if you buy something like a Surly in the US you could save about 30% or more. This obviously poses time and logistical problems and also means you could be setting off on an unproved bike.

Again as mentioned, it would be useful to have an idea of expected road conditions, your load, previous experience, etc - who knows, you could be planning a lightweight record breaking speed attempt. Let's hope the OP is still reading.

I have no real position on which frame, apart from steel and tough. What I would say is that you need to choose your components and gear possibly more carefully. Firstly, do you know what is available on the spares front on your route. My guess is that apart from parts of Central America, most of the countries en route will have decent quality equipment available in the larger towns, but this isn't my cycle touring region and I don't know. Browsing crazyguy could be useful. Also googling bike shops in the towns and cities en route will give an idea of stock they carry,

In the UK, Spa Cycles seem to have good coverage for touring components and will build to your spec. I wouldn't buy an off the peg complete bike as there always seems to be compromises on some of the components. Beware of anything too exotic or delicate when choosing components. Solid and dull isn't a bad mantra for touring. Don't shirk on your luggage - it is dead weight and takes a tremendous hammering over time.

I have an LHT which has served me well for over 35,000 Kms long haul touring, plus another 25+ general riding. I had it built with Deore 9 speed in 2012 and this has served me very well. Good wheels are essential - I used 36 spoke Sputniks, now superseded by Ryde Andra.

Re theft, etc. This has never worried me but I am careful, without being paranoid. I mainly tour in Asia and often leave my bike unattended (with small cable lock) while shopping, etc. I have travelled extensively in C and S America and always thought theft more of a problem there. A touring bike soon looks tatty, although drops will set it apart from most local steeds and possibly highlight it's value. Ironically, you may find your biggest risk is in the US.

Your route is a bit of a cycling super highway, particularly for American cyclists. I'm sure that you will quickly meet people who have cycled some or part of the route who can give you lots of advice and opinions. I wouldn't over plan or worry too much.

One final thing. You say next year. I would keep a close eye on the countries you will be passing through re Covid. Even once borders are open foreign cyclists may not find a warm welcome in out of the way places. Paranoia tends to hang around.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote:...... My guess is that apart from parts of Central America, most of the countries en route will have decent quality equipment available in the larger towns, but this isn't my cycle touring region and I don't know......

Bolivia is a nightmare for bike parts. Importing them is a very long process and subject to very high taxes so a nightmare to bet old of anything. (No idea if Bolivia is on OP's intended route).

Ian
djb

Post by djb »

simonhill wrote:A few comments.

As alluded to somewhere above, if you buy something like a Surly in the US you could save about 30% or more. This obviously poses time and logistical problems and also means you could be setting off on an unproved bike.

Again as mentioned, it would be useful to have an idea of expected road conditions, your load, previous experience, etc - who knows, you could be planning a lightweight record breaking speed attempt. Let's hope the OP is still reading.

I have no real position on which frame, apart from steel and tough. What I would say is that you need to choose your components and gear possibly more carefully. Firstly, do you know what is available on the spares front on your route. My guess is that apart from parts of Central America, most of the countries en route will have decent quality equipment available in the larger towns, but this isn't my cycle touring region and I don't know. Browsing crazyguy could be useful. Also googling bike shops in the towns and cities en route will give an idea of stock they carry,

In the UK, Spa Cycles seem to have good coverage for touring components and will build to your spec. I wouldn't buy an off the peg complete bike as there always seems to be compromises on some of the components. Beware of anything too exotic or delicate when choosing components. Solid and dull isn't a bad mantra for touring. Don't shirk on your luggage - it is dead weight and takes a tremendous hammering over time.

I have an LHT which has served me well for over 35,000 Kms long haul touring, plus another 25+ general riding. I had it built with Deore 9 speed in 2012 and this has served me very well. Good wheels are essential - I used 36 spoke Sputniks, now superseded by Ryde Andra.

Re theft, etc. This has never worried me but I am careful, without being paranoid. I mainly tour in Asia and often leave my bike unattended (with small cable lock) while shopping, etc. I have travelled extensively in C and S America and always thought theft more of a problem there. A touring bike soon looks tatty, although drops will set it apart from most local steeds and possibly highlight it's value. Ironically, you may find your biggest risk is in the US.

Your route is a bit of a cycling super highway, particularly for American cyclists. I'm sure that you will quickly meet people who have cycled some or part of the route who can give you lots of advice and opinions. I wouldn't over plan or worry too much.

One final thing. You say next year. I would keep a close eye on the countries you will be passing through re Covid. Even once borders are open foreign cyclists may not find a warm welcome in out of the way places. Paranoia tends to hang around.

first of all Simon, a lot of very good points.

but as you say, the person in question has one post only, and we've been blathering on about stuff on our own. I hope he or she comes back into the conversation if they are serious about this rather large scale trip.

re bike parts, I'd add that from the larger, nicer bike shops in larger cities that I saw in 2017, 2018 in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and Costa Rica (didnt go into any bike shops in Nicaragua) they always had low to mid to even high end mountain bikes, so I'm sure the world standard available stuff like Alivio, Deore rear derailleurs and stuff is fairly common.

**though as you alluded to with one aspect of Covid, another most likely is going to be the long term economic impact in so many countries, which will also translate to very few parts available--heck, even here in Canada stuff is scarce now, and our supply chain issues will get resolved a hell of alot quicker than predominantly poorer latin American countries (which have had a real kicking economically , much worse than us, with the covid situation).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thehairs1970 wrote:FWIW. I know the new Trucker has areas of concern over the spec

Can you say more on this?
Alologies if already covered, double apologies if info upthread.
Sweep
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sweep wrote:
Thehairs1970 wrote:FWIW. I know the new Trucker has areas of concern over the spec

Can you say more on this?
Alologies if already covered, double apologies if info upthread.

A separate thread popped up on this, with ano asking for clarification - should be on front page