Real capacity of panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wheelyhappy99

Real capacity of panniers

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

I'm looking for larger capacity rear panniers for planned longer trips, Covid control permitting. But it's proving tricky to reconcile the claimed capacity of some with the dimensions quoted. This may in part be because often just HxWxD is given when there are roughly rectangular external pockets and or a tapered body. There's no indication I've seen of where W is taken or H is measured to. Is it to the top of the semi rigid back or to the top of the cap/rolled seal when packed to the max?

For example, quoted dimensions of Super C's at 56L are very similar to Ortlieb Backrollers at 40L, a 40% difference.

Since it's impossible to go and look/measure, even assuming any shops have stock, I'd be grateful for any info on real life useable capacity and/or more detailed measurements of larger sized panniers to supplement what's in the ads.

By the way I don't want to start a re-run of past debates about the pros and cons of brands or styles or F&R panniers v just R etc.
Thanks.
Jdsk

Re: Real capacity of panniers

Post by Jdsk »

Ortlieb give dimensions, eg:
https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/back-roller-free-ql3-1

Jonathan
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I have rear Super Cs and could measure them if you want.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

It may sound daft but also a lot depends on the shape and sizes of different things you are putting in. With my Ortliebs (back) my tent has to go in diagonally (in order to be able to roll the tops down) which means I need to have other smaller stuff that can go in with a wet tent to fit below/under and above/beside the diagonal tent. If your tent would fit vertically then what else fits and how it fits could make a big difference to the effective volume of the panniers.

I find I'm often putting my tent in my panniers wet (even in glorious weather it is normally well soaked with dew each morning) so I end-up with one rear "wet" pannier and the other for dry stuff.

Ian
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Psamathe wrote:It may sound daft but also a lot depends on the shape and sizes of different things you are putting in.

What he said.

Also, one of the disparities comes from how they close. I think this will account for the difference between Super C and Ortlieb. The Ortlieb has a roll top closure so that means some of its H is unusable leading to the ‘lost’ capacity.

I suspect some manufacturers also include pockets whose capacity is pointless to add in but provides useful storage - do3s that make sense?

My biggest problem with packing is shoes. Size 13 doesn’t like to fit in.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Those are the real capacities. Volume. The Super C quoted measurement doesn’t account for the large pocket, which look to be about 4 litre in size. As a side note, the Ortlieb bags magnify and trap heat so fresh produce ruins quickly and used clothing festers, stinking out the pannier and it’s contents. I should probably replace mine after years of heavy use but I can’t see myself moving away from Super C’s. They’ve been faultless and the on and off is fast. Carradice should produce a medium size between the front and rear of about (2x20L) 40L capacity. I’d definitely buy those.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Just because I could...I filled one of my current model Carradice Super C's up with water, using a 4 pint (2.3l) milk container to measure the bag's capacity. The main compartment took 11 fillings, so 11x2.3 = 25.3l; the rear pocket took just over another bottle full, another 2.3l approx. So 27.6 litres in total x 2 panniers = 55.2l pretty close to the stated 54 litres (edited using figure from Carradice site), bearing in mind the rough and ready measuring method I employed.
I also measured a small pair of Ortliebs (so presumably they will use the same measuring system as the larger ones ).They came in at 5.5 bottles a side so 2.3l x5.5 =12.65 litres in total x 2 panniers = 25.3 litres, again fairly close to the stated figure of 25 litres a pair total.
Both sets of bags measured to the top of the main part of the bag, level with the top of the metal strip on the inside of the Carradice bag and with the top of the plastic strip on the outside of the Ortlieb.
As mentioned above there's a bit of spare capacity beyond the stated size of the Ortlieb I should think in the folding bit.
To summarise; the main compartments of a pair of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics is stated as 40 litres, and as measured above on the Carradice, it's 50.6 litres for the main compartments and another 4.6 litres for the pockets, giving 55.2 litres approximate total capacity per pair (stated capacity 54litres, ref Carradice site). https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/pannie ... r-panniers
EDIT ; For clarity, grammatical failings, stated capacity from Carradice site amendment etc.
... Also as noted by others down-thread and which I neglected to mention, there is also more room within the draw-corded fabric collar under the lid of the Carradice as well (beyond the stated capacity of the main compartments).
P1130424.JPG
Last edited by colin54 on 9 Mar 2021, 9:34am, edited 2 times in total.
Nu-Fogey
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

colin54 wrote:....
As mentioned above there's a bit of spare capacity beyond the stated size of the Ortlieb I should think in the folding bit.....

I've used the "extra capacity" in the roll top of the Ortlieb "rollers" type on a few occasions - where the campsite destination is a fair distance from town so on my way through town (laden with already full panniers) I've done my food shopping for lunch/evening/breakfast and cycled on with the front panniers unrolled/open filled with shopping just the top strap holding outside/inside. Never had anything fall out and very useful temporary extra capacity.

Ian
colin54

Post by colin54 »

nsew wrote: Carradice should produce a medium size between the front and rear of about (2x20L) 40L capacity. I’d definitely buy those.

The older Super C (?)from the 1980's was a bit smaller and had a less fussy system of attachment ( just one size of plastic clips at the top and a strap low down), you see them on ebay occasionally.
P1130427.JPG
Last edited by colin54 on 7 Mar 2021, 2:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
djb

Post by djb »

Wheely, if serious about extra capacity, and if you've toured before and know you need more volume, ortlieb makes the Super Duper Gigantico size 70 litre rear panniers. I've seen them in a store once and they are indeed supersized

You may consider these
djb

Post by djb »

colin54 wrote:Just because I could...I filled my current model Super C up with 4 pint (2.3l) milk containers, the main compartment took 11 fillings, so 11x2.3=25.3l ;the pocket took just over another bottle so say another 2.3l. So 27.6 litres in total x 2 panniers = 55.2 pretty close to the stated 56 litres, bearing in mind the rough and ready measuring.
I measured a small pair of Ortliebs (so presumably they will use the same measuring system as on the larger ones ).They came in at 5.5 bottles a side so 2.3l x5.5 =12.65litres a side pretty close to their figure of 25 litres a pair total.
Both sets of bags measured to the top of the main part of the bag, level with the top of the metal strip on the inside of the Carradice bag and with the top of the plastic strip on the outside of the Ortlieb.
As mentioned above there's a bit of spare capacity beyond the stated size of the Ortlieb I should think in the folding bit.
The main compartment of a pair of Ortlieb Back Roller Classic is stated as 40 litres, as measured above on the Carradice it's 50.6litres and another 4.6 litres total approx for the pockets per pair.
$matches[2]

Hey there Cleopatra, at first my brain was thinking, "he filled his pannier with milk because he could, maybe he's a dairy farmer??"

I did the same once on a commute with an ortlieb, got a flat and my spare tube had been in my seatbag for so long, it had gotten abraded with a big hole. Did have patch kit but to find hole in orig tube I found a tap behind a building and partially filled pannier you be sure I'd see the hole or holes in tube.
Worked a treat.
Another rare use of waterproof panniers.

And yes, I too regularly overfill my ortliebs with groceries,but we don't get as much rain as you poor Poms ;-)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

colin54 wrote:Just because I could...

Your results are noted, your dedication is applauded.
nsew

Post by nsew »

colin54 wrote:Just because I could...I filled my current model Super C up with 4 pint (2.3l) milk containers, the main compartment took 11 fillings, so 11x2.3=25.3l ;the pocket took just over another bottle so say another 2.3l. So 27.6 litres in total x 2 panniers = 55.2 pretty close to the stated 56 litres, bearing in mind the rough and ready measuring.
I measured a small pair of Ortliebs (so presumably they will use the same measuring system as on the larger ones ).They came in at 5.5 bottles a side so 2.3l x5.5 =12.65litres a side pretty close to their figure of 25 litres a pair total.
The main compartment of a pair of Ortlieb Back Roller Classic is stated as 40 litres, as measured above on the Carradice it's 50.6litres and another 4.6 litres total approx for the pockets per pair.
$matches[2]

Well done filling your pannier with water for the cause. There’s another 2” (20%) of carrying capacity under the pocket hood and about 4” (30%) under the main hood. Carradice should definitely produce a smaller Super C rear pannier as quality modern kit has far less bulk than yesteryear. Gone are the duffle coats, chunky knit sweaters and army mess tins.
Last edited by nsew on 7 Mar 2021, 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

wheelyhappy99 wrote:I'm looking for larger capacity rear panniers for planned longer trips, Covid control permitting. But it's proving tricky to reconcile the claimed capacity of some with the dimensions quoted. This may in part be because often just HxWxD is given when there are roughly rectangular external pockets and or a tapered body. There's no indication I've seen of where W is taken or H is measured to. Is it to the top of the semi rigid back or to the top of the cap/rolled seal when packed to the max?
Thanks.

Slightly off topic... earlier this year I purchased and mounted a surly nice front rack to my own bike. I'm impressed. The front rack allows me to mount two large rear panniers over the front wheel, plus it provides a flat surface over the wheel for strapping things like bed rolls or sleeping bags to it. So far the maximum load I've had on this rack was 16kg, which with hindsight did slow down the steering somewhat. But it does mean that if I i return to loaded touring or even cycling to festivals I can use 4 rear panniers, plus strap stuff to the top of each (front and rear) rack and when I go shopping now I'm able to take full advantage of those breakfast cereal and toilet roll multi buy offers without worrying about pannier space :)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just wait a few years and the fronts will be as big as the earlier rear ones. Probably much heavier though.

With the extending draw string top and the design of the lid, you can load a Super C well above the high water mark.

Full marks for your eureka moment Colin.