Real capacity of panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
horizon

Re: Real capacity of panniers

Post by horizon »

slowster wrote: 7 Mar 2021, 5:59pm
nsew wrote:That pannier looks like it preceded the Super C which was first produced in the late 80s. I have the front Super C’s here from the 90s that had the unfussy top clip but they’re a pain to attach to a 10mm Tubus, so swapped them out for the newer attachment. I’m no fan of the lower strap attachment either. I might ask Carradice to retro fit them but ideally want a pannier sized between the two.
Carradice stil make Kendal panniers, which are 32 litres each. Maybe they would be willing to make a pair with Super C fittings (shaped lid and webbing handle and plastic buckles).

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/0-c ... -32-litre/
https://www.carradice.co.uk/ranges/orig ... mitstart=6
Capacity: 32 litres (pair)

Somewhere is a post of mine pleading for people always to quote clearly whether the volume is for a pair or single. It's an easy mistake to make and seems to haunt us. I think my plea was prompted by a manufacturer themselves not saying which it was!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Back to bucket mode.

Super C's have the main canvas body, an inner nylon drawstring cover and the outer canvas lid. You can load so the outer lid is tightly down, is this full. Or you can get lots more in with the drawstring cover in bucket mode and the outer cover just going over the top with straps at full stretch.

I wonder which is quoted capacity, probably a 25% difference.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 7:45pm
I've used the "extra capacity" in the roll top of the Ortlieb
What I think of as bucket-mode...
I quite like that. I have thought about it that way, but without naming it. I will happily steal your name for it. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

A friend of mine checked the Ortlieb panniers by filling them with water, and they they are indeed what it says on the tin, with lid properly closed.
Last edited by willem jongman on 29 Apr 2021, 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

steal your name for it
You're welcome! Once I'd worked out that all my bitsNbobs seemed to stay safely in place "in bucket-mode", I've tended to leave them like that unless it starts to rain, especially bearing in mind that the two panniers are in front of me, on my Moulton. The luggage behind me, an Ortlieb rack-pack, would be tightly rolled up and strapped firmly to the rack.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I generally only use bucket mode for shopping, or maybe near the end of a day on tour, when I stop to get some food & don't want squish something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe also a good idea to keep those sweaty Ortliebs open as much as possible.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I don't keep anything wet in the Ortliebs. The often wet and dirty tent goes on top of the rack.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re bucket mode. Somebody higher up referred to filling panniers with water to measure their capacity and that's the only simple way to do it accurately. IMO the obvious drawback is that on its own, it doesn't tell you much about what you can actually squeeze in, which depends as much on shape, both of pannier and load. Coupled with horizon's point about is it per pannier or per pair of panniers and the fact that some people wouldn't know what a litre looked like if they met one .....

(I do appreciate that bucket mode was used to apply to roll top panniers in unrolled mode.)
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Vorpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 10:01am I generally only use bucket mode for shopping, or maybe near the end of a day on tour, when I stop to get some food & don't want squish something.
Or when I’ve bought too much shopping and the only way for it all to fit is to use bucket mode on an Ortlieb or Vaude.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

simonhill wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 8:11am Super C's have the main canvas body, an inner nylon drawstring cover and the outer canvas lid. You can load so the outer lid is tightly down, is this full. Or you can get lots more in with the drawstring cover in bucket mode and the outer cover just going over the top with straps at full stretch.

I wonder which is quoted capacity, probably a 25% difference.

See here:
colin54 wrote: 7 Mar 2021, 2:20pm Just because I could...I filled one of my current model Carradice Super C's up with water, using a 4 pint (2.3l) milk container to measure the bag's capacity. The main compartment took 11 fillings, so 11x2.3 = 25.3l; the rear pocket took just over another bottle full, another 2.3l approx. So 27.6 litres in total x 2 panniers = 55.2l pretty close to the stated 54 litres (edited using figure from Carradice site), bearing in mind the rough and ready measuring method I employed.

and here:
nsew wrote: 7 Mar 2021, 2:59pm Well done filling your pannier with water for the cause. There’s another 2” (20%) of carrying capacity under the pocket hood and about 4” (30%) under the main hood. Carradice should definitely produce a smaller Super C rear pannier as quality modern kit has far less bulk than yesteryear. Gone are the duffle coats, chunky knit sweaters and army mess tins.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Modern gear is a lot more compact indeed, so smaller panniers have become desirable, but quite rare, unless you go for front panniers used at the rear. But if you do that, size matters quite a bit again, because in my experience many front panniers are just a bit small if that is all you use.