Real capacity of panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Real capacity of panniers

Post by willem jongman »

My interest has mostly been in the real capacity of smaller panniers because for my purpose of lightweight tours the 2x20 litre Ortlieb backrollers are unnecessarily large and heavy (I don't use front panniers), but the 2x12.5 litre front rollers are too small, even with the tent in my usual location on top of the rack. After a lot of searching I found the Altura Arc 15 panniers that are 2x16.5 litre (measured with water) and weigh only 1050 gram the pair. These are now my go to panniers for summer tours (my Backrollers are still used for early Spring and late Autumn tours, or tours with my wife). Unfortunately Altura has discontinued this size, yet I think there is a real niche in the market for smaller and lighter panniers.
pq

Post by pq »

I use Carradice Super C fronts mounted on the back for any tours where I'm not camping. Recently due to covid restrictions in France I had to carry much more food than usual and they were still fine. They also don't make your stuff rattle when they're only partly full. I have no idea what their capacity is, nor their weight (but they seem quite light) but in practical terms, for me they do what you're talking about.
One link to your website is enough. G
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

willem jongman wrote:My interest has mostly been in the real capacity of smaller panniers because for my purpose of lightweight tours the 2x20 litre Ortlieb backrollers are unnecessarily large and heavy (I don't use front panniers), but the 2x12.5 litre front rollers are too small, even with the tent in my usual location on top of the rack. After a lot of searching I found the Altura Arc 15 panniers that are 2x16.5 litre (measured with water) and weigh only 1050 gram the pair. These are now my go to panniers for summer tours (my Backrollers are still used for early Spring and late Autumn tours, or tours with my wife). Unfortunately Altura has discontinued this size, yet I think there is a real niche in the market for smaller and lighter panniers.

sounds good, are these the equivalents:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/alt ... 1=a&mx02=a

cheers,

Keith
djb

Post by djb »

Willem, it seems to me that the Canadian brand arkel has some models that are inbetweenish in size. Don't have details in front of me but check them out. I've never owned arkels but friends do, and I've always been impressed by arkels build quality when looking at them in hand in stores. They use a very sturdy looking bungee , hook system and an interesting and also sturdy cam system on the top hooks to stop the hopping off rail thing.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that it also depends on how (well) you pack. Putting things in a pannier is rather like doing a puzzle. I usually spend some time before a tour trying different arrangements and packing order, both for space efficiency & access (i.e. spare gloves,extra clothing layer, rain gear, etc.) I can get approximately 50% more in a pannier, freezer, cupboard, or boot than Mr. V can, mostly because I take the time to work it out. I also seem to have a little better spatial perception (i.e. what / how much fits into a particular space), but I don't know how much of that is just practice.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
djb

Post by djb »

Vorpal wrote:I think that it also depends on how (well) you pack. Putting things in a pannier is rather like doing a puzzle. I usually spend some time before a tour trying different arrangements and packing order, both for space efficiency & access (i.e. spare gloves,extra clothing layer, rain gear, etc.) I can get approximately 50% more in a pannier, freezer, cupboard, or boot than Mr. V can, mostly because I take the time to work it out. I also seem to have a little better spatial perception (i.e. what / how much fits into a particular space), but I don't know how much of that is just practice.

so true, so true.
In our case Mrs djb is the one who has inherently less spatial perception. I also always laugh/shake my head at how the inverse happens in our tent, how a reverse "Tardis" or "Harry Potter magical Hermione camping handbag" thing happens, with a seemingly inexplicable explosion of items that take up the entire tent, which then leads back to a harried "argh, why won't this all fit in my panniers" sort of thing slash repeat.
But she is a million times smarter than me in so many ways, we all have our strong points and weak points, what makes us human.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

"Willem, it seems to me that the Canadian brand arkel has some models that are inbetweenish in size". Yes they do, and no they don't. If anything, their real size is smaller than the Ortlieb front rollers. Also, and unlike other Arkel panniers, these are not very rugged. But they are impressively light at under a pound if I remember correctly.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote:I think that it also depends on how (well) you pack. Putting things in a pannier is rather like doing a puzzle. I usually spend some time before a tour trying different arrangements and packing order, both for space efficiency & access (i.e. spare gloves,extra clothing layer, rain gear, etc.) I can get approximately 50% more in a pannier, freezer, cupboard, or boot than Mr. V can, mostly because I take the time to work it out. I also seem to have a little better spatial perception (i.e. what / how much fits into a particular space), but I don't know how much of that is just practice.

It's that way round for us too. And things live in panniers in the tent porches which adds another objective.

Who photographs as they unpack? I do try to follow the mantra of reviewing everything that wasn't used, but I don't go that far.

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Traction_man wrote:
willem jongman wrote:My interest has mostly been in the real capacity of smaller panniers because for my purpose of lightweight tours the 2x20 litre Ortlieb backrollers are unnecessarily large and heavy (I don't use front panniers), but the 2x12.5 litre front rollers are too small, even with the tent in my usual location on top of the rack. After a lot of searching I found the Altura Arc 15 panniers that are 2x16.5 litre (measured with water) and weigh only 1050 gram the pair. These are now my go to panniers for summer tours (my Backrollers are still used for early Spring and late Autumn tours, or tours with my wife). Unfortunately Altura has discontinued this size, yet I think there is a real niche in the market for smaller and lighter panniers.

sounds good, are these the equivalents:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/alt ... 1=a&mx02=a

cheers,

Keith

Not sure. They look the same size, but not the same shape. And their weight seems a closely guarded secret.
djb

Post by djb »

willem jongman wrote:"Willem, it seems to me that the Canadian brand arkel has some models that are inbetweenish in size". Yes they do, and no they don't. If anything, their real size is smaller than the Ortlieb front rollers. Also, and unlike other Arkel panniers, these are not very rugged. But they are impressively light at under a pound if I remember correctly.

you are thinking of the Dry-Lites, yes they are lightweight ones, I have a pair (they use velcro to attach to rack)

I just looked, and sure enough, they have other tough models, Orca in 25l, 35l and 45l,
and the Dolphin model in 32l and 48l, so there are 32 and 35l options, kind of inbetween the usual 25 and 40l Ortlieb options.

like I said, as long as I can remember when I've looked at Arkel stuff in stores, I've always been impressed by the overall quality of them, the stitching, the mounting hardware etc of their various models. The Dry-Lites are very much a more delicate pannier, but neat in its own way.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Yes the Dry Lites. They were too small for anything other than a weekend trip (I still have them for that).
BritishEagle

Post by BritishEagle »

I’ve used my Carradice Super Cs for ten years for everything from touring to shopping. They have Always been big enough, even with a full checkout at the weekly shop and I wonder how on Earth I’ll get it all in. I don’t know how they do it - some tardis magic I guess. And they have never leaked, seem totally waterproof and as tough as nails. I’ve loaded 20kg in each one at times.
They are still as good as new and I think the best kit I’ve ever bought.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've used the "extra capacity" in the roll top of the Ortlieb
What I think of as bucket-mode...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 7:45pm
+1 :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

foxyrider wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 8:22pm
simonineaston wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 7:45pm
+1 :D
Same for Vaude panniers as well: very handy.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.