What Are The Concerns With The New Disc Trucker?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

What Are The Concerns With The New Disc Trucker?

Post by simonhill »

In the current post about N to S America, there are a couple of mentions about 'concerns' with the latest iteration of the Surly Disc Trucker.

Out of interest for me and maybe as information to others, what are these concerns?

Ta.
rotavator

Re: What Are The Concerns With The New Disc Trucker?

Post by rotavator »

I have no direct experience of this bike but I do collect comments for and against such things from forums like this. Most of the negative comments that I have seen are about the fork:
1. Being very stiff and giving "a horribly harsh ride" (previous thread on this forum)
2. Poor QC on a Surly fork (this forum). I am not sure if this was for a SDT but I would hope for good QC especially considering their price.
3. Poor fit of Tubus Tara rack (yacf)

Then there is the common comment about these bikes that they are great when loaded but heavy and sluggish when unloaded.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

You can also check out Alee Denham's review of the 2021 SDT here:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/2021-surly-disc-trucker-touring-bike/

He still rates it but critisises:
1. fewer spokes 36 down to 32
2. no kickstand mount
3. standover height on the smaller models
4. Alivio gear downgrade
5. Sora shifters
6. 26" wheels on smaller ones, he would prefer 27.5"
PH

Post by PH »

Also shorter chainstays, which for someone looking for an expedition bike might be the big one.
I made the point when it was announced last year, that Surly had moved it away from the dedicated tourer to a possibly better day ride bike, that made some sense when the Long Haul Tourers had the option of a rim braked LHT, but now that's discontinued I'm not sure it does. What I can't figure is if there's any point in the overlap between the DT and some of the other models, like the Straggler. Of course, they'll understand their market better than I will.
djb

Post by djb »

my take on the changes are that they are clearly aiming the marketing / look of the bike more at the "bikepacking' crowd. My take on this is simply because they are responding to the market, and want the bike to be attractive to the new folks looking into bike touring, but lets be honest here, any young person is going to be looking for images and whatnot of "bikepacking", so the changes to the LHT will still be attractive to a 20 something looking to get into things, as the majority of the imagery and blah blah about travelling by bike is more "bikepacking".

(I say this rather in a general sense, of how I observe the market now and what attracts 20 somethings--but I want to stress, I have nothing against bikepacking, Im just trying to be realistic about the optics going on here)

-to me, the shorter chainstays aren't an issue, I ride a Troll and I love how it handles, unloaded or loaded, and I've got mine in dropbar mode too (could be an issue with really big shoe people)
-being able to take wider tires is a plus (why I got the Troll actually, along with the shorter chainstays for a quicker handling bike)
-I get the sales pitch/visuals of using the higher "riser bars", they look neat.
-the gearing is still good, but hey, component choice is really about the sti compatibility thing (which leads back to the marketing of sti's as so many "gravel" bikes out there have this, lets face it, bar end shifters are "old fogeyish")
-I use a rear Tubus rack, the two level one, Logo, on my Troll and it works fine with the shape of my frame, I don't know if the slope of the new disc trucker will limit the use of rear racks to those like mine that come with longer attaching rods. Mine works fine.
-re spokes, the surly site specs wheels as 36h wheels, and the tough alex adventurer 2 rims, so should be fine.
- re 26in wheels, despite what is said, on smaller frames 26in are still a real advantage, no toe strike and all that. Plus lower gearing for touring, always a plus. I admit I am biased. I see no disadvantage to them at all, other than less newer tires available to us now unfortunately.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

The biggest turn off for me is the new tech thru axles. Not commonly found, so repair/replacement could be an obstacle, especially on a tour.
I agree, they seem to want the gravel crowd and moving away from the long distance touring crowd
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I have been vaguely thinking of one of these. My conclusion is that choosing one based on a past reputation is a bit like buying a new Land Rover Defender as I liked my last one. Different thing, pointless comparison. Result. Looked elsewhere.
Nothing wrong with any of the changes but just not for me. Things like through axles probably are not an issue as they tend not to fail and virtually all those who buy a bike for that " big expedition" are pedalling around Europe at best or more likely Suffolk. :D
Possibly we chose a bike the wrong way. By name and reputation not specification but I guess we have to start somewhere.
Oh for an online system where we enter all our needs and the best match pops up.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mattsccm wrote:Things like through axles probably are not an issue as they tend not to fail

The problem with thru axles isn't them breaking, but them seizing in place.
e.g. https://www.mtbr.com/threads/cant-remov ... el.921302/
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nprmKzBRlg (see the comments below)

Finding a seized axle mid-tour, with a flat tyre, wouldn't be amusing.
djb

Post by djb »

andrew_s wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Things like through axles probably are not an issue as they tend not to fail

The problem with thru axles isn't them breaking, but them seizing in place.
e.g. https://www.mtbr.com/threads/cant-remov ... el.921302/
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nprmKzBRlg (see the comments below)

Finding a seized axle mid-tour, with a flat tyre, wouldn't be amusing.

I see this possibility as similar to never greasing a pedal thread, been overtightened a bit, never removing it for years and then having a bear of a time getting it off. I realize that lots of people don't think of stuff like this, but it would simply be a matter of being aware of this and greasing it, like we do with seatposts and pedals, and would take care of the problem easily.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Had my thru axle on my MTB for 7years. Lubed it a couple of time but it has never been an issue. Preparation prevents poor performance. Same as anything.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Extortionate price for both the frame and the complete bike along with downgrades on equipment compared to previous years.

The previous incarnations of the frame were good value but this years is eye wateringly expensive.

The complete bike was never good value but this year’s cost is significantly higher and follows a model, during the last 5-6 years, of Surly and Salsa having massive price increases.

Why do I mention Salsa? Well, they and Surly are owned by the same company and have suffered the same increases.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
djb

Post by djb »

The price increases, as you say, were indeed quite a shock about 5 or 6 years ago.
I kicked myself that I didn't buy a troll new before the prices increased, but then managed later to find a used one.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Interesting to read of these changes. My random thoughts:
The new fork is an improvement. They stuck with a single mount for far too long, especially given they virtually invented the multiple points now found on every other touring fork.
The thru-axles are not a big deal in practice. They're not really a likely failure point.
The move to STIs makes sense. This is what most people are used to. However, bar ends fitted the character and likely uses of the bike. Nine speed is not a problem -- more versatile in fact, cos road and mtb mix and match -- but it's still a downgrade for more money. Importantly though, the lower gears are more or less the same.
I can't see the point of shortening the chain stays.
There are arguments for and against 26" wheels.
Wider tyres are appropriate.
They've added a plate for a kick stand, which is good.

Overall, if they're really going for "the gravel crowd" I think they'll miss. It's still a Surly, therefore it's a big lovable lump! I think they should make it more of an unashamed out and out tourer: return to the longer chain stays, add a rack and mudguards, maybe offer either sTIs or bar ends as option.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The problem with all new 9 speed tourers is that Shimano no longer make mechs at levels above Deore, so the budget options are all there is.

STI on a tourer? I've had one fail (on my daughter's bike) at the top of a hot climb in Provence, and it stayed broken for the remainder of the trip. She had to ride on the smaller of the two rings all the time, or hold the left lever to keep on the big ring for a minute or so. I avoid having them on my bikes.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

True: but they haven’t even provided Deore level kit but Alivio which is even lower.

The specification, in comparison to the previous years, is atrocious and I suspect a large part of the cost is swallowed up by the stupid idea to have expensive STI’s.

Last year had triple XT drivetrain (10 speed) - replaced with 9 speed Alivio.

Last year had 36 cassette - replaced with 34.

Last year had 36 spokes - replaced with 32.

Last year had bar end shifters - perfect for touring- this year has expensive STI’s.

Poor choices from Surley in every area.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.