Device charging off the bike, long trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Northumberlander

Requesting tech advice on Power Bank for touring

Post by Northumberlander »

Having tried to research my specific needs by reading around, I'm now totally confused about power bank specs - so thought I'd come here to ask for advice. I see one or two other refs to power banks in the forum, but not found any to untangle my confusion.

I want a powerbank to take bicycle touring. I don't expect to be off-grid for many days at a time, so it could be recharged regularly on tour.
    I think I want something around 20000maH (but, convince me otherwise, by all means)
    I want one which will sit between a hub dynamo and my devices, so that a stable charging current is delivered to devices whilst on the move. In other words, it needs to output a charge whilst receiving a charge.
    The devices on tour needing sporadic but regular charging would be: (maybe two) mobile phones, (HTC and Samsung) both with USB-C inputs; multiple and various USB lights with micro-usbB sockets; two rear lights which plug directly in to the USB output (female) socket. I have all cables etc for charging.
    I don't expect to be charging super-hungry devices like a computer - although an iPad is possible on longer/European trips, and I'm toying with taking a proper (but small/light) camera instead of just using the phone.
    I want (at least) two intelligent USB output ports
    I want to be able to 'fast charge' it when eg stopping for a few hours in a pub/cafe, rather than always requiring a 15 hr overnight charge or whatever. Does this require a separate purchase/charging unit - with a particular spec?
    I don't know any of the other questions and considerations I should be asking about here...

I've read so much stuff about specs, capabilities, standards, output types, reliability, brands etc that I'm actually quite confused about what features I really 'need'. I'm hoping that some tourers with tech understanding might have solved this issue for themselves - and if so, I'd be very glad for advice.

Getting the right bank with the right spec(s) is more important than sourcing a super-cheap discount deal, for me. Although, I'd be pleased to be pointed towards a particular brand or unit that would do the job.

Hope someone here can help. Cheers!
PH

Re: Requesting tech advice on Power Bank for touring

Post by PH »

I'd suggest you get at least two, the advantages are;
You don't have to bother about pass through charging, which some report as troublesome.
You can use one while the other is charging, which is IMO a better way to monitor usage
If/when you do get access to some mains power you can charge them at the same time
You can sometimes, depending on the bank,charge more devices quicker with separate banks
Redundancy, it's always an advantage!
If you need it for a shorter trip you don't have to lug the big brick around

I use two Anker Powercore 10,000, that's enough for Garmin, phone, headphones, camera and occasionally Kindle. My lights are running from the dynamo. I have a hub charger, but I'm rarely away from mains long enough to use it, if I start with everything charged, it's at least five days before I have to think about it. I don't do anything so remote that I'd need long term self sufficiency. If you were to do so for long periods, you'd have to tailor your usage to your input. I don't think the choice of powerbank is going to have a great effect on that.
These are the ones I use. though they don't have USB-C
https://www.anker.com/products/variant/ ... k/A1263011
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As above, I'm not bothered about "pass through".

It works much better for me to charge the extra battery off the dynamo all day and then charge all of the other devices at night.

I use a TeckNet PowerZen 2nd Gen 16000mAh 2-Port with a built-in torch. I imagine that current versions store even more energy. That gives me at least three days capacity to keep everything running.

And If I'd known how well these work I wouldn't have bothered with a B + M fancy light with a USB charger.

Jonathan
Northumberlander

PH, Jonathan, thanks. Good advice - two is a good idea, I see that. I can share the weight across both bikes :wink:
So, I started with only one criterion in mind before I got all confused, and that was the mAh number - not too small, not too big. Is this the only important thing, as far as you're concerned?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You've got the "pass through" issue.

I like having the torch.

Number of ports.

I don't think that there's much else.

Jonathan
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Northumberlander wrote:PH, Jonathan, thanks. Good advice - two is a good idea, I see that. I can share the weight across both bikes :wink:
So, I started with only one criterion in mind before I got all confused, and that was the mAh number - not too small, not too big. Is this the only important thing, as far as you're concerned?

You also need to ensire the power bank can output a high enough current for each device.

Most modern ones will.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Northumberlander

st599_uk wrote:
Northumberlander wrote:So, I started with only one criterion in mind before I got all confused, and that was the mAh number - not too small, not too big. Is this the only important thing, as far as you're concerned?

You also need to ensire the power bank can output a high enough current for each device.

Most modern ones will.

Thanks - but this illustrates the problem I ended up with once I started researching. What is 'a high enough current'? How does one work out what's high enough? Most of my devices - even phones and iPad - don't provide me with information about the spec of any current it needs to be recharged efficiently, as far as I can see.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

It's a minefield (like most to do with USB). USB has so many optional capabilities that it's hard to find what each device can do.

There's "Quick Charging" which is a trademark of Qualcomm who make some USB chips.

Other brands call it "Fast Charging". Both require about 2-3A.

Then there's a new standard, which only 2020 models have, which is beyond the capabilities of any battery bank I've seen.

I would go for 2 decent brand battery packs - the one I have can provide 5.5A split across 3 outputs.

Beware of the size though. A 26800mAH battery is 26.8 AH, if you provide it with a 2A charge, it will take 13.4 hours at least to charge.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Northumberlander wrote:Most of my devices - even phones and iPad - don't provide me with information about the spec of any current it needs to be recharged efficiently, as far as I can see.

You can get that from the type of charger that Apple originally supplied, and using a value of 5V for any type of USB charging to convert between power and current. Or by using any well-known search engine.

But with a modern USB battery pack and typical devices and typical usage I wouldn't worry, it will all work fine.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Northumberlander wrote:Thanks - but this illustrates the problem I ended up with once I started researching. What is 'a high enough current'? How does one work out what's high enough? Most of my devices - even phones and iPad - don't provide me with information about the spec of any current it needs to be recharged efficiently, as far as I can see.

I'd be surprised if any of the options from any of the well known brands couldn't charge all you devices (Possibly with the exception of the tiny lipstick size variations)
st599_uk has given a good summary of the complexity of different manufacturers fast charging standards, but as far as I can tell all your devices will still charge at the standard USB 1Amp if that's the only thing available. Worst case scenario is it takes three times longer to charge, but it shouldn't be hard to plan that while not in use. I think with all these things a bit of planning and routine goes a long way, keeping stuff topped up is easier than running everything down.
I'd find a brand you like the look of, work out your power requirements and check they're compatible, your requirements are not exceptional so that information should be readily available.
Summary of Anker's fast charging here
https://www.powerbankexpert.com/anker-p ... echnology/
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote:But with a modern USB battery pack and typical devices and typical usage I wouldn't worry, it will all work fine.
Jonathan

Yep, Jdsk has said what I was typing but with less words :wink:
Northumberlander

st599_uk wrote:It's a minefield (like most to do with USB). USB has so many optional capabilities that it's hard to find what each device can do.

There's "Quick Charging" which is a trademark of Qualcomm who make some USB chips.

Other brands call it "Fast Charging". Both require about 2-3A.

Then there's a new standard, which only 2020 models have, which is beyond the capabilities of any battery bank I've seen.

I would go for 2 decent brand battery packs - the one I have can provide 5.5A split across 3 outputs.

Beware of the size though. A 26800mAH battery is 26.8 AH, if you provide it with a 2A charge, it will take 13.4 hours at least to charge.

Thanks for your help, in staying with me on this... I'll take your advice; so I'm looking for 2 separate banks, c10000-15000mAh, capable of providing 5.5A across at least two outputs. This getting definitive, at last!

I have a couple of other questions, if you don't mind;

what does 'PD' mean, and is it an important feature? The way it's often written I'm guessing it's a particular protocol (like QC3 which presumably refers to Qualcomm quick charge, as you wrote above).
    It looks like the 'Qualcomm quick charge' is worth having - because even though I don't know whether my devices use QC chips and therefore may or not benefit from it, if the power bank uses it then it is likely to have a faster recharge time (than the example you gave above). Or, am I misunderstanding this?
    some power banks are described as 'airline friendly'; what breaks such a friendship apart?
    different output voltages are specified - is this relevant, or is it just the total Amps which matters?
    If 2.4A is the number many/most devices seem to look for, and the bank can provide 5.5A across 3 outputs like yours - what happens then?!

Sorry to take advantage... It is indeed a minefield, as you say. Cheers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't know where you're seeing "PD". If you tell us I'll have a look.

Ditto "output voltages". All USB charging is at about 5V, it's the current that differs between devices.

Jonathan
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Northumberlander wrote:
    what does 'PD' mean, and is it an important feature? The way it's often written I'm guessing it's a particular protocol (like QC3 which presumably refers to Qualcomm quick charge, as you wrote above).
    It looks like the 'Qualcomm quick charge' is worth having - because even though I don't know whether my devices use QC chips and therefore may or not benefit from it, if the power bank uses it then it is likely to have a faster recharge time (than the example you gave above). Or, am I misunderstanding this?
    some power banks are described as 'airline friendly'; what breaks such a friendship apart?
    different output voltages are specified - is this relevant, or is it just the total Amps which matters?
    If 2.4A is the number many/most devices seem to look for, and the bank can provide 5.5A across 3 outputs like yours - what happens then?!

Sorry to take advantage... It is indeed a minefield, as you say. Cheers.

PD - not sure

It's probably worth having

Airlines have a maximum Li-ion battery size you can carry in hand-luggage

It delivers 5.5A - it will limit the current on all outputs and items will charge more slowly.
A novice learning...
Northumberlander

Jdsk wrote:I don't know where you're seeing "PD". If you tell us I'll have a look.

Ditto "output voltages". All USB charging is at about 5V, it's the current that differs between devices.

Jonathan

This random unit on Amazon (not necessarily on my shortlist!) refers to both the PD protocol, and specifies '9-12V high voltage output':
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073FJ6Z8D/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B073FJ6Z8D&pd_rd_w=LgcEf&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=cQHOW&pf_rd_r=M8QQTN6RTKWZC0NNCBVJ&pd_rd_r=16343c1e-8f9b-4520-ac5a-ef250515a707&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQlAwNEtTNU1GRUMxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTA0MjU2SVlVQkpFOFMyR1dDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMzczNTUzTlVCNklQQUhEQ1NJJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==