29er MTB tyres for off road touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
VinceLedge

29er MTB tyres for off road touring

Post by VinceLedge »

What 29er tyres are a good mix of lightweight, grip , toughness and rolling resistance for bikepacking on mix of off road and gravel?
Currently got the original Bontragers which seem fairly heavy and probably sticking with tubes.

Cheers!
simonhill

Re: 29er MTB tyres for off road touring

Post by simonhill »

This is always a good place to start for touring tyres https://schwalbe.com/en/city-tour
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

I've used 26" Marathon Mondials on the Camino. A mix of gravel, earth and bare rock tracks as well as road. Bulletproof with very good performance on all surfaces including mountain bike type stuff
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

using schwalbe marathon mtb 29 2.25 for the last year.. zero punctures and ride moorland tracks and single track no issues, good grip good rolling tyres even fine recently off road in some snow and ice.. slipped slightly on steep climbs on ised snow.
Pete... I think
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

VinceLedge wrote:What 29er tyres are a good mix of lightweight, grip , toughness and rolling resistance for bikepacking on mix of off road and gravel?
Currently got the original Bontragers which seem fairly heavy and probably sticking with tubes.

Cheers!

Define off-road. Garden path or bouncing of a rock strewn mountain with a generous helping of mud? In the latter case ignore all advice which contains the word "Marathon' and go for a proper MTB tyre. Probably no need for the heaviest sidewalls on offer, but don't go for the lightest casing either. Some tyres will run better on tarmac than others, but modern tyres have improved a lot compared to those when the sport was in it's infancy.
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Well..... probably the rockier option!
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

I've recently picked up a new bike with 29*2.6" Mezcals. Haven't taken it over rocks, but it's coping well with mud and tussocky fields so far!
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

WTB Nano 2.1 would be my recommendation, came as standard on my Surly Ogre and have impressed from the start. Reasonably light and with a centre strip to aid fast rolling on road and hard surfaces. Not a tyre for muddy or really soft conditions but an excellent off road tourer. I've just bought a replacement for the rear which is showing it's age and noticed a blurb on the packaging which states it is the most popular tyre for those brave souls riding the Great Divide Race!
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

Galloper wrote:WTB Nano 2.1 would be my recommendation, came as standard on my Surly Ogre and have impressed from the start. Reasonably light and with a centre strip to aid fast rolling on road and hard surfaces. Not a tyre for muddy or really soft conditions but an excellent off road tourer. I've just bought a replacement for the rear which is showing it's age and noticed a blurb on the packaging which states it is the most popular tyre for those brave souls riding the Great Divide Race!

Which is probably just a roundabout way of saying the Surly is the most popular bike on the trail. Or that QBP is biggest ;)

And tracks are local, what works there might not be optimum in your neck of woods
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm