Summer Plans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Summer Plans?

Post by willem jongman »

Latest research shows that last summer travel corridors were responsible for quite a few imported cases into the UK. The reverse is almost certainly also true.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote:Latest research shows that last summer travel corridors were responsible for quite a few imported cases into the UK. The reverse is almost certainly also true.

Searching for "Latest research" found no publication by that name.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

willem jongman wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-56453686

Plus Brazil is busy desperately trying to create plenty of new variants for us to deal with.

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

That is right. The same was true last year when the UK government did not want to do what had to be done and hence allowed the British mutation to come into existence. We closed our borders almost immediately, but we were already too late.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I did the Pennine Cycleway a few years ago (mainly because of the description Richard gave it on Cycle.travel) and it was a fantastic, amazing ride.

This summer I'm planning on doing a few days cycling with my 10 year old, probably the Devon Coast to Coast again. It's close and we like it.
I'm also hoping to get a few days hiking in the Lake District, but if I can squeeze it in I'm doing the Lon Las Cymru from Chepstow with camping gear this time.
glucas

Post by glucas »

honesty wrote:I did the Pennine Cycleway a few years ago (mainly because of the description Richard gave it on Cycle.travel) and it was a fantastic, amazing ride.

This summer I'm planning on doing a few days cycling with my 10 year old, probably the Devon Coast to Coast again. It's close and we like it.
I'm also hoping to get a few days hiking in the Lake District, but if I can squeeze it in I'm doing the Lon Las Cymru from Chepstow with camping gear this time.

Thanks for this.

Yes - I too was inspired by the description of the Pennine Cycleway, only by proxy, because it was ripped off by Komoot (as I have come to understand). Actually doing it was something else - I did it in July/August, and it was virtually empty.

Like you, I am looking at my next route. Lon Las Cymru, which I had never heard of, is definitely now a bucket list entry to do at some point. This summer, I will probably do the North Sea Cycle Route - Eurovelo 12 Scotland leg, from Inverness up to the shetland islands. Unless there is a clear and safe route to Europe.
Last edited by glucas on 19 Mar 2021, 3:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:

Plus Brazil is busy desperately trying to create plenty of new variants for us to deal with.

That's a rolling news page. What was the story when it was linked?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Sorry about the rolling messages. It was a report about research by Public Health UK or whatever it is called. The travel corrdors and more generally international travel were responsibelfro quite a few infections.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

That's a rolling news page. What was the story when it was linked?

Just search the age for "corridor" and it will scroll to (thats a search in the page NOT a search engine search. Or scroll down to 13:22.
Travel corridors linked to higher rates of Covid spread, study shows
Allowing quarantine-free travel to Greece last summer may have had a significant contribution to the spread of coronavirus, according to a Public Health England study.

Travel corridors, which exempted people from needing to self-isolate when returning, were linked to higher rates of onward transition of imported cases, the researchers said.

They argued the genomics study demonstrates the effectiveness of travel restrictions in reducing the spread of Covid-19, with restrictions linked to a 40% lower rate of contacts.

Travel from the European countries accounted for 86% of imported cases between May and September, according to the study, which is yet to be peer-reviewed.

Greece, which had quarantine-less travel for the entire period, was "the source of greatest imported" Covid-19 cases, accounting for 21% of travel-linked cases, or 882 infections in the study of 4,207 cases.

A Department for Transport spokesman says: "As this report rightly points out, travel restrictions imposed by government were effective in reducing the transmission of imported cases of Covid-19.

"Guided by the latest scientific data, the government acted rapidly to remove travel corridors with Greece and Spain, and we continue to have robust measures in place to protect the country against imported cases of the virus."

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Thanks both. DfT's argument there seems a bit bonkers, claiming they did the right thing when they'd left borders open for so long.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks Glucas, excellent idea except i have already cycle down to Santander from Plymouth and also rode up from Santander to Caan then portsmouth, poole, both great tours, I'm sure i read about using a train through the Channel tunnel down to Italy then cycle home but now i can't find it, Anyone know about it ? Cheers T .
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

newbootclimbco wrote: I'm sure i read about using a train through the Channel tunnel down to Italy then cycle home but now i can't find it, Anyone know about it ? Cheers T .

I don't think you can take bikes on Eurostar, nor, mostly, on French TGVs. You can take them though the tunnel on Le Shuttle, then regional trains all through France – slower than TGV, you'd need at least one overnight stop, but still an enjoyable ride. There are local trains through the Frejus tunnel into Italy that take bikes, but they only run at weekends. That's all as of 2019.
glucas

Post by glucas »

newbootclimbco wrote:Thanks Glucas, excellent idea except i have already cycle down to Santander from Plymouth and also rode up from Santander to Caan then portsmouth, poole, both great tours, I'm sure i read about using a train through the Channel tunnel down to Italy then cycle home but now i can't find it, Anyone know about it ? Cheers T .

Ahh...you are an expert on northern Spain already! Should have kept my mouth shut. I know where to go for some advice!