Summer Plans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
glucas

Re: Summer Plans?

Post by glucas »

willem jongman wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 2:32pm Back from where we started. Assuming there is a possibility for some cross border cycling in the EU at some stage during the summer, and assuming you would take the Harwich Hook of Holland ferry, this is an interactive map of many cycling routes all starting from the Netherlands: https://www.europafietsers.nl/fietsrout ... sweb#kaart
For tours within the Netherlnads, see this route planner: https://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/
Campsites in the Netherlands may be crowded, of course, but less so if international travel will be easier again.
Thanks for these Willem. I have bookmarked them.
glucas

Post by glucas »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 3:04pm
glucas wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 2:44pmHowever, I am still interested in knowing if anybody is still planning anything - and others maybe too.
I'm sure that lots of people are following this, and that it's contributing to their own plans.

Jonathan
Thanks for the support Jonathan. Yes, it's nice to get a consensus of opinion about what is being planned. At the moment, Europe looks dead in the water this year.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

As I said before, I am not as pessimistic. Vaccination is the key, and here in the Netherlands we expect everyone who wants to to have been vaccinated by early July with at least one dose, which should be enough for a fair amount of protection. Many will have had their second dose as well, or will not need one: we are expecting 3 million one shot Janssen doses before the end of June. So if you are planning an August vacation you may well be fine, provided the EU vaccine passport system will be operational, and provided the UK system will be compatible (and it would be utter madness if it is not).
See here for German vaccination data: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19- ... nd#Planung
French data here: https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/vaccins
Both Germany and France are running a bit behind the Netherlands, but not dramatically so.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

mjr wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 1:16pm
PaulaT wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 1:01pm According to Prof Sharon Peacock, director of the UK's genetic surveillance programme, the Indian variant was first detected in the UK in October last year.
Are you sure about that? https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56813025 says "Prof Sharon Peacock, director of the UK's genetic surveillance programme, Covid-19 Genomics UK, said the variant had been around for "some time" and was first identified in October last year." The report noticeably does not say it was identified or detected in the UK then.
That's the same BBC piece that I read. And given the Professor's position, I read it as being detected by her programme and thus detected here. But I agree that you could interpret it otherwise. Interestingly the Groniad is claiming that the 1st detections in this country go back to February.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Do not expect to travel to the Netherlands too soon, however. Vaccination may be progressing very well, but the government has this week annouced that some restrictions are about to be lifted. All experts say that this is too early, so although vaccination will soon reduce hospitalization and mortality for the over 60, for a while their places in hospital will be taken by younger people getting sick.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

As a single tourer with a small one man tent I've found that lot of sites will go out of their way to squeeze you in somewhere if you just pitch up and ask nicely if they can fit you in for a night. I believe that the C&CC club have a policy of not turning backpackers and cyclists away?
They normally do, but it's bookings only at the moment. We'll have to hope that at some point this excellent policy, which dates back to the cycle touring roots on the C&CC, is reinstated!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Shetland Bods.

An email today informed me that they could be opening in 3 weeks.
Great value for basic accommodation. Cooking facilities and most with an open fire.
A great way to tour our most northerly isles.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:07pm
al_yrpal wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:04pm By the same token variants from Turkey, Indonesia and North Africa may mean the UK will have to consider banning entry and produce from their ex colonial masters too.
Who colonised Turkey, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
The Ottoman Turks did from the Byzantine (later Roman) Christian population. Or, to be more pedantic, as Turkey didn’t exist, Asia Minor was colonised by the Ottoman Turks which established the Ottoman Empire which evolved to modern day Turkey after the shock of defeat in the Great War.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
glucas

Post by glucas »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 8:51pm Shetland Bods.

Great value for basic accommodation. Cooking facilities and most with an open fire.
That is very interesting! Thank you. I was looking at the shetlands and there seemed to be a paucity of options at the time I was looking. I can see the location here is fairly central on the island, which would be great to use as a base and pivot around the island.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

glucas wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 4:12pm
matt2matt2002 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 8:51pm Shetland Bods.

That is very interesting! Thank you. I was looking at the shetlands and there seemed to be a paucity of options at the time I was looking. I can see the location here is fairly central on the island, which would be great to use as a base and pivot around the island.
I've used them X3. Usually The Windhouse which is quite central for the islands.

Highly recommended
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 11:24am
Jdsk wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:31am If you're going to have certification it seems smart to have a single app that covers both TTI and certification.
How does it seem smart to you? It seems to me like it would limit uptake of a simple certification app to those willing and using the few phones able to run the exposure tracking apps, similar to how the UK has messed up on the check-in app. It is so little used that now even NHS sites here have the (large, slow to scan) check-in QR codes partially hidden and unscannable and no-one seems to notice.
"COVID-19: NHS app to be used as coronavirus passport for international travel, Grant Shapps confirms"
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nhs ... s-12289071

"It will be the NHS app that is used for people when they book appointments with the NHS and so on, to be able to show you've had a vaccine or that you've had testing,"

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

But please realize that it is not only about being allowed to get out of the UK, but also about being allowed into e.g. the EU. That requires compatibility with EU systems, but it looks a bit as if the UK is dragging its heels there, trying to negotiate with individual EU countries rather than the EU itself. That may be politically attractive, but is neither effective nor efficient. Conversely, the EU and the US are already in advanced technical discussions.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Brits are inveterate travellers. Countries which wish to benefit from Brit tourist income will have to be prepared to accept whatever WE set up as a secure method of vaccine passporting. The NHS App is a great existing system to add it to because it securely identifies us and can presumably be more easily and securely linked to our vaccination and health records.
We are no longer members of the EU or subject to EU red tape.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

But it is our country and our European Union. Treat us with respect for our sovereignty within our borders. I am sure the UK will have a good system, but for travel it has to be compatible, that is all, and technically that should not be difficult. If for silly political reasons it is not, UK travellers are the losers. It takes two to tango.
Collaboration is not hard: right now the British led carrier task force on its way to Asia will have its electronic surveillance and air defence provided by a Dutch frigate in the group.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

al_yrpal wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 9:36am Brits are inveterate travellers. Countries which wish to benefit from Brit tourist income will have to be prepared to accept whatever WE set up as a secure method of vaccine passporting. The NHS App is a great existing system to add it to because it securely identifies us and can presumably be more easily and securely linked to our vaccination and health records.
We are no longer members of the EU or subject to EU red tape.

Al

The main flaw with the NHS app is that not all GP surgeries chose to use it. There's 3 or 4 apps in use.

Also the main NHS app that some GPs use does not match the IATA travel spec that airlines are using. I can't see a way for the NHS app to provide the data to the centralised database that uses.

The EU app is designed to interact, the NHS app isn't.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”