Summer Plans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Summer Plans?

Post by Jdsk »

IATA Travel Pass Initiative:
https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I would like people who I travel with to have been vaccinated. I am aware that that doesnt mean that those people arent actually infectious. The only body that can certify that particlar Brits have been vaccinated is the NHS. Self certification is not safe. I am not trusting of some EU country's that I am very familiar with to certify anything.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My summer holiday plans are a week in a cottage the week after next in the other side of Northumberland, in the Breamish Valley.
John
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

al_yrpal wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:22pm I would like people who I travel with to have been vaccinated. I am aware that that doesnt mean that those people arent actually infectious. The only body that can certify that particlar Brits have been vaccinated is the NHS. Self certification is not safe. I am not trusting of some EU country's that I am very familiar with to certify anything.

Al
I would also like people I travel with to have been vaccinated.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
glucas

Post by glucas »

Oldjohnw wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:35pm My summer holiday plans are a week in a cottage the week after next in the other side of Northumberland, in the Breamish Valley.
Thanks John. Northumberland was the underrated gem from my bike tour last year. Lovely countryside and hardly any people.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I agree the system has to be secure and ultimately only vaccination data will probably be secure enough, if only because every country will need a system for batch tracing in case something went wrong with a particular batch, and for when new doses will be required to deal with mutations.
I was pretty concerned about people in the UK using counterfeit testing results to travel. I suspect this may also happen elsewhere. I happen to know Germany is very restrictive in what kind of testing proof it accepts, but that is all I know. The testing part was relevant in an earlier stage when we had no or only few vaccines, but soon we will have far more vaccines than we need. At that time the testing will serve as a token alternative for those who refuse vaccination. So I would like it to be as inconvenient as possible, to serve as a not so gentle nudge.
millimole

Post by millimole »

al_yrpal wrote: The only body that can certify that particlar Brits have been vaccinated is the NHS. Self certification is not safe.
Al
This is a key point. If I want to travel to (say) Belgium then either my vaccination data is linked electronically to the NHS data, or I self certify on the Belgian (or EU) app. I know which I'd trust if I were the Belgians!
We need to get over our little island mentality and start cooperation.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

millimole wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 1:39pmWe need to get over our little island mentality and start cooperation.
Co-operation is way ahead of economic force for addressing this.

And economic force, for example based on income from British tourists, might not work at all for those of us who want to go somewhere unusual for pleasure, work or family reasons.

Jonathan
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

glucas wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:41pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:35pm My summer holiday plans are a week in a cottage the week after next in the other side of Northumberland, in the Breamish Valley.
Thanks John. Northumberland was the underrated gem from my bike tour last year. Lovely countryside and hardly any people.

The remote beaches are fantastic too, and the Tyne Valley and Hadrian's Wall.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Here in the UK your NHS patient record does confirm your vaccinations even if administered by a private hospital or vaccination centre like the one located at Taunton racecourse near here. I have looked at my patient record and there the confirmation is with the date, type of vaccine, location, and name of the doctor who administered it. I am not familiar with EU nations health systems and wonder whether they have reliable national systems like us?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

al_yrpal wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:22pm I would like people who I travel with to have been vaccinated. I am aware that that doesnt mean that those people arent actually infectious. The only body that can certify that particlar Brits have been vaccinated is the NHS. Self certification is not safe. I am not trusting of some EU country's that I am very familiar with to certify anything.

Al
The International Air Traffic Association system is not a self-certification system. That's the problem with the NHS App, it doesn't seem to be able to forward the relevant data to the IATA gateway (which is then shared with airlines to signal that you're allowed to board).

Nor is the EU Green Pass a self certification system, it requires input from a national health system.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:50pm I was pretty concerned about people in the UK using counterfeit testing results to travel. I suspect this may also happen elsewhere.
Who needs to counterfeit? At least one of the UK government approved testing companies has been caught sending out negative test certificates to people who had not yet sent in their test samples!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 2:08pm Here in the UK your NHS patient record does confirm your vaccinations even if administered by a private hospital or vaccination centre like the one located at Taunton racecourse near here. I have looked at my patient record and there the confirmation is with the date, type of vaccine, location, and name of the doctor who administered it. I am not familiar with EU nations health systems and wonder whether they have reliable national systems like us?
Interestingly, my records say mine was done by unknown staff member in unknown location! Date and type are accurate, but is the system as "reliable" as you think?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

In the world of laboratory medicine there's enormous concern about the use of unaccredited laboratories eg :
https://www.ibms.org/resources/news/ibm ... -panorama/

(This isn't about the initial emergency response... that's widely accepted as a special case.)

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 28 Apr 2021, 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Wouldn't know, never managed to get the NHS app to load without crashing.

I've sent them the error log and the fix needed.
A novice learning...