Summer Plans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Summer Plans?

Post by simonhill »

I'm not saying an "anti tent movement" just that some are doing it. Likewise some of the new pop ups don't allow c'vans and m'homes, but this is of less concern to cycle tourists.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I think there are 2 hassles that people are dealing with:
1) The cleaning of facilities - cleaning after each person takes a shower - some facilities I used last summer were timed access, I was allowed in between 4 and 5 am
2) The number of no-shows. Local companies to me are complaining that they're limited to 20% usual occupancy and they've had 40% no-shows for the bookings.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

simonhill wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 1:39pm For those eschewing overseas touring here is some bad news that I suspect may be increasingly common viewtopic.php?f=42&p=1597769#p1597769

basically campsites on a well used cycle route (C2C) not taking tents anymore and other sites having a 3 or 5 day minimum.

Bivy bag anybody?
The minimum stay thing has been the norm on many sites for a long time during busy times. Why would you take a booking for a single night over a weekend when you can guarantee to fill the same pitch for 3 days?

As a single tourer with a small one man tent I've found that lot of sites will go out of their way to squeeze you in somewhere if you just pitch up and ask nicely if they can fit you in for a night. I believe that the C&CC club have a policy of not turning backpackers and cyclists away?
A dull read for a rainy day - https://pperratt.weebly.com/
glucas

Post by glucas »

That seems like a reasonable explanation. I don't think there is a conspiracy anywhere.

Would prefer to book in advance myself, as I am of a nervous disposition :) But hardened cycle tourists I guess will try their luck.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

In normal years we never book in advance, but if we fear there may be a problem because there is no alternative nearby we give them a ring. What you risk is that they say no whereas if you just turn up they will almost always give you a place. But it differs a lot between countries: in France or the Netherlands there are many sites and a tradition of tent camping, elsewhere less so.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

glucas wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 3:51pm
I am not a mover or shaker, so I hope the powers to be in the cycle lobby can put a word in to the upper echelons of the C&CC and other campsite organisations and mention that if this is a business move - to maximise profit - it's pretty sad.
The latest C&CC magazine has the results of a Twitter poll, asking "If you had to camp in one type of unit for the rest of your days, what would it be?

The results: 6% said tent, 2.3% cabin/yurt, 50.4% caravan and 41.3% 'motorhome'...

So tenters pretty much a minority on this basis.

all the best,

Keith
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Traction_man wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 4:13pm
glucas wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 3:51pm
I am not a mover or shaker, so I hope the powers to be in the cycle lobby can put a word in to the upper echelons of the C&CC and other campsite organisations and mention that if this is a business move - to maximise profit - it's pretty sad.
The latest C&CC magazine has the results of a Twitter poll, asking "If you had to camp in one type of unit for the rest of your days, what would it be?

The results: 6% said tent, 2.3% cabin/yurt, 50.4% caravan and 41.3% 'motorhome'...

So tenters pretty much a minority on this basis.

all the best,

Keith
Definitely a minority; but all things being equal, few businesses would willingly throw away 6% of revenue.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Today's Guardian has a report that as of 29 April the French app will allow you to download your vaccination data into the app.
glucas

Post by glucas »

What does the french app allow you to do Willem? Is it an EU passport, or just access to France?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

For now it appears to be a France only thing, but the idea is that it will be compatible with other countries' systems. It allows the user to upload data from the national databank on immunity from previous infection, test results, and vaccination status. It will show a secure QR code. Of course, I am as interested as anyone in the details.
What it will allow you to do is a different thing, of course, and that could well be different from one country to the next.
glucas

Post by glucas »

Thanks. That is interesting. Just hope that the variants going around will be able to be caught by the vaccine. There are some rumours the latest Indian variant evades vaccines. This is worrying.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

At population level even a less effective vaccine will work well if the vaccination rate is high. The Pfizer Biontech vaccine seems to be quite good with mutations, and technically it can quickly be adapted. Cheer up - we are getter there, but only if you live in a rich country. And that may indeed come to haunt us. And of course, if the UK fails to contain this Indian mutation the EU may have to ban travel not only from India but also from the UK. We shall see.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

glucas wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:09pm What does the french app allow you to do Willem? Is it an EU passport, or just access to France?
willem jongman wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 1:41pm For now it appears to be a France only thing, but the idea is that it will be compatible with other countries' systems. It allows the user to upload data from the national databank on immunity from previous infection, test results, and vaccination status. It will show a secure QR code. Of course, I am as interested as anyone in the details.
What it will allow you to do is a different thing, of course, and that could well be different from one country to the next.
Comparison of national apps:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_apps

Official French advice for visitors, including use of the app and details of exemption certificates:
https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Aren't those apps contact tracing apps rather than access apps?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What's the name of the French immunity app, please?

Thanks

Jonathan