Summer Plans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: Summer Plans?

Post by Psamathe »

Although it's all supposition and input from science/experts (and does anybody expect Johnson to listen to them?), if overseas holidays/travel does have significant restrictions or risks I'd suspect a big knock-on effect in the UK with fully booked campsites, B&Bs, etc. (plus they'll all be after longer 1 week or longer bookings rather than having a space taking for a night on the off-chance somebody might or might not want it tomorrow.

Ian
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

nirakaro wrote:
newbootclimbco wrote: I'm sure i read about using a train through the Channel tunnel down to Italy then cycle home but now i can't find it, Anyone know about it ? Cheers T .

I don't think you can take bikes on Eurostar, nor, mostly, on French TGVs. You can take them though the tunnel on Le Shuttle, then regional trains all through France – slower than TGV, you'd need at least one overnight stop, but still an enjoyable ride. There are local trains through the Frejus tunnel into Italy that take bikes, but they only run at weekends. That's all as of 2019.

Not sure there's any certainty about 2021 rules, but Eurostar did take a couple of fully assembled bikes plus another 4 or 5 disassembled in boxes (which they supply) or bags on most routes. There were limitations on where you could leave the train at intermediate stops. Need to be booked by phone through Eurodispatch, cheaper if booked early.

Both TGV and German ICE trains take bikes in bags (check size requirements) and I believe a very few TGV have limited spaces for assembled bikes.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ll be happy with Butlin’s in Bognor this year. If we’re allowed.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

I'm certainly no expert on spain or anywhere else but i certainly enjoyed cycling there and getting over the lower Pyrenees was an achievement i'm pleased about. Do they still have those 4 wheeled bikes at Butlins or are they now outlawed by the health and safety brigade? Happy cycling, cheers T.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

newbootclimbco wrote:...I'm sure i read about using a train through the Channel tunnel down to Italy then cycle home but now i can't find it, Anyone know about it ?

The Man in Seat 61 does:
https://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm
https://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm

Jonathan
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Jdsk wrote:
newbootclimbco wrote:...I'm sure i read about using a train through the Channel tunnel down to Italy then cycle home but now i can't find it, Anyone know about it ?

The Man in Seat 61 does:

Jonathan

Amazing information.
Many thanks
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote:

Although it's all supposition and input from science/experts (and does anybody expect Johnson to listen to them?)...

And a Minister joins in. (With some bizarre logic, although it is a newspaper report of a television interview.)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/21/uk-minister-hints-covid-rules-on-foreign-travel-could-extend-to-summer

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

The Man in Seat 61 does:

Amazing information.
Many thanks

: - )

And he always appreciates more information and updates.

Jonathan
pal

Post by pal »

Neither the Eurostar nor the Eurotunnel bike services are operating at the moment, unfortunately, so I think a ferry is the only way to get a (non-dismantled) bicycle to continental Europe (via surface travel, at least). Though of course, and hopefully, things might change a few months down the line...
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

pal wrote:Neither the Eurostar nor the Eurotunnel bike services are operating at the moment, unfortunately, so I think a ferry is the only way to get a (non-dismantled) bicycle to continental Europe (via surface travel, at least). Though of course, and hopefully, things might change a few months down the line...

Not sure you can use the ferry either as you have to present a form at check in stating why you're travelling (criminal offence to be in a port without one)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

And it is not just about permission to leave the UK, but also about permission to enter for example the Netherlands.
pal

Post by pal »

Yes, of course, I should have added the caveat: if/when international travel becomes legal again! (But this is a thread for daydreaming, at least in part, no...? :D )
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Oh yes indeed. I am also dreaming. My dream is a a tour in Italy in June, but right now it looks as if a tour in Germany is the most I can hope for.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A hypothetical thought about UK "self-isolate on return" rules were they to be imposed:
Suppose you cycle home to ferry (3 days cycling in UK) across to France for a few weeks and whilst in France UK imposes the "self-isolate on return" rules so, when you return you must go home and self-isolate for 10/14 days. But you are a 3 day cycle ride from UK ferry port to home so can you spend 3 days cycling home to self-isolate? or do you book a bike on the train (maybe for tomorrow or day after) and find local accommodation until your train ...

Maybe this just highlights the shortcomings of "go home THEN self-isolate".

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:A hypothetical thought about UK "self-isolate on return" rules were they to be imposed:
Suppose you cycle home to ferry (3 days cycling in UK) across to France for a few weeks and whilst in France UK imposes the "self-isolate on return" rules so, when you return you must go home and self-isolate for 10/14 days. But you are a 3 day cycle ride from UK ferry port to home so can you spend 3 days cycling home to self-isolate? or do you book a bike on the train (maybe for tomorrow or day after) and find local accommodation until your train ...

Maybe this just highlights the shortcomings of "go home THEN self-isolate".

For sure it does. I don't think anyone has explained what is expected in this situation. I suspect they couldn't touch you if you travelled home directly by the fastest reasonable route and reasonably minimised contact while doing so.

And let's remember that this is not only a concern for foreign travel, as self-quarantine (let's call it what it is) could yet be required when moving between the nations within the UK or even between regions of England, if things go badly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.