Summer Plans?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Summer Plans?

Post by simonhill »

I quoted the then rules to a friend back in Nov for for getting home and self quarantining. Sorry deleted now. It allowed for travel home including by public transport with an overnight stay if necessary, eg late night arrival at airport. I remembered it because it seemed to invalidate much of the point in quarantining.

It did not say how many nights as I guess it assumed just one would be sufficient. It also didn't exclude any transport method. Presumably a 3 day run would have been within the letter of the law. If you insist that you did not want to go on public transportation then a further justification.

Of course, you might transgress other laws - no unnecessary nights away from home - and then someone would need to decide which one trumped which.

..................but that was then.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote:I quoted the then rules to a friend back in Nov for for getting home and self quarantining. Sorry deleted now. It allowed for travel home including by public transport with an overnight stay if necessary, eg late night arrival at airport. I remembered it because it seemed to invalidate much of the point in quarantining.

It did not say how many nights as I guess it assumed just one would be sufficient. It also didn't exclude any transport method. Presumably a 3 day run would have been within the letter of the law. If you insist that you did not want to go on public transportation then a further justification.

Of course, you might transgress other laws - no unnecessary nights away from home - and then someone would need to decide which one trumped which.

..................but that was then.

I was wondering more as a thought process than considering what I'd need to do in reality. But for me one train link from south coast ferry port to home requires you book your bike on the specific train in advance by telephone with the train operator. On the few occasions I've taken a bike on the service departure from home is OK (you arrive at the right time for the train), but I have on one occasion for return home arrived early, different train arrived, I ask the station guy and been allowed on the train. But if you are meant to be self quarantining you probably should not be hanging around stations on the off chance you'll be allowed on a train requiring a booking when you don't have a booking.

Maybe this also highlights the poor bike service on (some) trains/from some train operators.

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The latest rules are here (March 2021). https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quar ... you-arrive

The overnight stay still stands, but has been tightened a bit.

"Long journeys to your quarantine accommodation
If you have a long journey within the UK to arrive at the place where you will be quarantining, you may be able to stop overnight in accommodation where you can quarantine yourself from others before continuing your journey.

Before doing so, you should check that the overnight stay is necessary and permitted under the national lockdown ‘stay at home’ rules. If so, you must quarantine and provide the address of your overnight stop on your passenger locator form in addition to your declared accommodation address. "

There is also guidance for taking public transport on that link.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

For the more formal quarantine, i.e. returning from a red list country and spending £1750 on a hotel, you can only enter the country at one of the named ports of entry. None of the ferry terminals are on the list, so you'd have to discard your ferry ticket and fly back.
Last edited by st599_uk on 22 Mar 2021, 4:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

st599_uk wrote:For the more formal quarantine, i.e. returning from a red list country and spending £1750 on a hotel, you can only enter the country at one of the maned ports of entry. None of the ferry terminals are on the list, so you'd have to discard your ferry ticket and fly back.

Which would get interesting if you're on bike, no box, etc.

I suppose people's circumstances differ but for myself I can't see all neighbouring EU countries (France and Belgium and Netherlands) all being red listed at the same time so should e.g. France be red listed whilst I was touring there and subject to no other EU movement constraints I'd cycle through to e.g. Germany or Belgium then spend 10 days touring there (cheaper and more fun that stuck in one room in a Travel Lodge at £1750) then take a ferry back from a non-red listed country (as I've have been out of a red listed country for the requisite time, etc.). Could all go wrong if on 9th day e.g. NL got red listed.

But probably all academic the way things are looking right now (subject to change).

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think all of this is indeed pretty irrelevant. For now, any international travel is unwise, and irresponsible, and one could argue that the same applies to travel within countries. At the same time, all this will change with vaccination rates going up. This will take a bit longer in the EU with the UK having scooped up so much EU vaccine production, but even so, the EU will soon be largely vaccinated as well. The only question is 'how soon'. For the Netherlands the plan is to have everyone vaccinated at least once by early July, and some two thirds of those already with a second jab. That will be when the risk is much smaller, and one could argue that the remaining people who refused to be vaccinated are their own problem, although they could still be responsible for permiting the virus to mutate, as it did in the UK under the bungled policies of Boris Johnson. The good news is, of course, that once the vast majority will have been vaccinated, a vaccination passport will be a powerful incentive for those who hesitated. So in my view the public discussion should not be about relaxation of the restrictions, but about the progress with vaccination. Here in the Netherlands we quite simply do not have as many vaccines as we would like, but they will come, and soon in large numbers.
Last edited by willem jongman on 2 Apr 2021, 3:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
glucas

Post by glucas »

Giving this thread a bump. Anybody making any plans yet?

Thinking of doing a 2 to 3 day tour but the arctic weather seems to have come back!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Day trips to the Dales (Hawes) for me early start tomorrow!

First century of the year...

Cheers James
glucas

Post by glucas »

Great !! Weather does not look too bad. Enjoy!

Graham
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Well my current plan – all or part of which may or may not happen – is to set off , late April maybe, from Leeds and ride to Chester, then follow the Mercian way to Salisbury. Then head east to Gravesend, ferry to Tilbury. Up the east side of the country to the Humber bridge, visit Spurn Point, then home. Mostly wild camping, campsites and the odd B&B when available.
glucas

Post by glucas »

Mercian Way? I can see that is 230 miles.

At the end of April? Will the lockdown restrictions be lifted by then? I thought it was just local journeys at the moment.

Graham
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

glucas wrote:At the end of April? Will the lockdown restrictions be lifted by then? I thought it was just local journeys at the moment.

Graham

Maybe I'm being over-optimistic, but from 12 April, "Self-contained accommodation … where indoor facilities are not shared with other households" will be allowed. That should cover a remote wild-camping site shouldn't it? B&Bs hopefully open by 17 May. Campsites perhaps unlikely.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nirakaro wrote:
glucas wrote:At the end of April? Will the lockdown restrictions be lifted by then? I thought it was just local journeys at the moment.

Maybe I'm being over-optimistic, but from 12 April, "Self-contained accommodation … where indoor facilities are not shared with other households" will be allowed. That should cover a remote wild-camping site shouldn't it? B&Bs hopefully open by 17 May. Campsites perhaps unlikely.

Which country is that, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Jdsk wrote:
nirakaro wrote:

Thanks

Jonathan

It is a confusing picture across the home nations but summarised usefully here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

Cheers,

Keith
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Jdsk wrote:
nirakaro wrote:

Thanks

Jonathan

England.