6-Day Inverness Loop!!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Samurray

6-Day Inverness Loop

Post by Samurray »

Hi
Catching the train to Inverness in a couple of weeks. Intend doing a 6-Day cycle-camping loop from/to Inverness. Would like to take in as many wilder trails as possible and take advantage of wild camping opportunities. Heavy duty touring bike, balloon tyres, panniers.
Have done all of my cycle travelling abroad and not been to Scotland before (on bike). Am considering loops out West and back or even South East into Cairngorms. The wilder the better but will need to get supplies once in a while.

Any suggested routes from those in the know?

Thanks
Oldjohnw

Re: 6-Day Inverness Loop

Post by Oldjohnw »

A trip to Kyle of Lochalsh can be fun.
John
irc

Post by irc »

Head for Tomintoul to join the Cairngorms outer loop. Off road via Braemar and Glen Tilt to Blair Atholl. Then north via Gaick Pass to Kingussie. Then west o er Corrieyairick pass to Fort Augustus.

https://welovemountains.net/bikepacking-cairngorms

/
Heading to the Gaick Pass
Heading to the Gaick Pass
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Have you checked out Lee Cragie's page?
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/lee-c ... -highlands
I had the route to Kyle of Lochalsh bookmarked for this year but a damned virus got in the way.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

If you're up for some off road on estate roads there's a nice route northwards via Strath Vaich, Gleann Mòr and Strath Carron to Bonar Bridge. Continue northwards to Lairg and then take the A838 along the shore of Loch Shin to Loch Merkland. At the top of Loch Merkland head off road again via Bealach nam Meirleach to Gobernuisgach and then on the minor road through Strath More and past Ben Hope to the north coast at Hope.

At Hope you have various options to return to Inverness. To the west via Durness and the A838, and possibly Cape Wrath if time allows. And to the east via Tongue and/or Bettyhill.

Plenty of opportunities for wild camping, bunkhouse accommodation at Altguish and Invershin, YH at Tongue and Durness. Also camping at Crask Inn.
Samurray

Post by Samurray »

Thanks very much for the route suggestions, everyone. I shall examine all and make a plan ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Applecross.
Over the top from Lochcarron to the summit at Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle) and then back via Sheidaig.

"Highly" recommended.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Here are a couple of routes I've done that may be of interest:
a) Inverness - Alness - Strath Rusdale - Oykel Bridge - Glen Cassley - Tongue - Lairg - Strath Vaich - Muir of Ord - Inverness
Includes some of Norman H's suggestion. The off road is all estate tracks, though there was a short (500 m?) stretch after leaving the forestry at the top of Strath Rusdale that was heather up the middle rather than grass up the middle, to the extent that seeing the ex-tarmac wasn't easy.

b) Cairngorm Circuit
Kingussie - Loch Morlich - Nethy Bridge - Glen Brown - Tomintoul - Loch Builg - Braemar - Glen Tilt - Blair Atholl - Loch Garry - Loch Rannoch - Corrour - Loch Laggan - Loch Pattack - Dalwhinnie - Kingussie
There are hike-a-bike bits getting out of Glen Brown, at the upper end of Glenn Tilt, between Loch Garry and Duinish, and for about a mile just north of Loch Pattack.
Will

Post by Will »

Have you got a bike reservation to/from Inverness?

You will need one if you are travelling on the Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Aberdeen services to/from Inverness. There is a limited amount of space for bikes on these trains, and they are much in demand by people doing LEJOG/JOGLE. When I was in Inverness with my bike queueing for the Edinburgh train, ScotRail staff were coming down the queue checking bike reservations, and if you didn't have one then you were not allowed on.

Will
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Will wrote:Have you got a bike reservation to/from Inverness?

If it's a problem, the Cairngorms loop can be done from Aberdeen as easily as from Inverness, just by starting at Ballater, say, instead of Aviemore or Tomintoul.

Update:
I see on today's teletext that the Aberdeen line will be closed for "several more weeks", on account of the landslide and derailment on the 12th. That will probably mean replacement bus services - not so good with a bike.
Samurray

Post by Samurray »

Will wrote:Have you got a bike reservation to/from Inverness?

You will need one if you are travelling on the Edinburgh, Glasgow, or Aberdeen services to/from Inverness. There is a limited amount of space for bikes on these trains, and they are much in demand by people doing LEJOG/JOGLE. When I was in Inverness with my bike queueing for the Edinburgh train, ScotRail staff were coming down the queue checking bike reservations, and if you didn't have one then you were not allowed on.

Will

Yes, thanks, all sorted
Samurray

Post by Samurray »

Thanks for the further suggestions. It's going to be a challenge just deciding! However, I think it will either be a jaunt north - a la Andrew S and Norman H - or connect up some routes (partly inspired by Lee Cragie's page) that would make up a loop out west including - and thanks for the suggestion Mick F - the Applecross circuit. Still to decide though...

What's the water situation like up there? Worth taking a filter or is clean/fresh water access pretty easy?
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I'm just back from 6 days on the West coast.
I passed through Inverness coming and going from my home near Aberdeen.
Checkout my blog on crazy guy:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Nort ... andAug2020

Top tip. Bring a midge net hat/ head covering. Have long sleeve top, leg coverings and gloves.
For me, lotions didn't work.

Enjoy.
Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Samurray wrote:What's the water situation like up there? Worth taking a filter or is clean/fresh water access pretty easy?

The Highlands and the west of Scotland are generally wet (hence the midges), and there's plenty of water about.
My general rule is that above human habitation and fenced/walled fields, any fastish flowing water is OK without filtering - i.e. streams with small rapids or waterfalls at fairly frequent intervals. Low down, and in any flat wet areas, water gets filtered.
Sample camping spot and small stream (Loch Merkland): https://goo.gl/maps/a24stdXKoDwbY25r7
Samurray

Post by Samurray »

andrew_s wrote:Here are a couple of routes I've done that may be of interest:
a) Inverness - Alness - Strath Rusdale - Oykel Bridge - Glen Cassley - Tongue - Lairg - Strath Vaich - Muir of Ord - Inverness
Includes some of Norman H's suggestion. The off road is all estate tracks, though there was a short (500 m?) stretch after leaving the forestry at the top of Strath Rusdale that was heather up the middle rather than grass up the middle, to the extent that seeing the ex-tarmac wasn't easy.

b) Cairngorm Circuit
Kingussie - Loch Morlich - Nethy Bridge - Glen Brown - Tomintoul - Loch Builg - Braemar - Glen Tilt - Blair Atholl - Loch Garry - Loch Rannoch - Corrour - Loch Laggan - Loch Pattack - Dalwhinnie - Kingussie
There are hike-a-bike bits getting out of Glen Brown, at the upper end of Glenn Tilt, between Loch Garry and Duinish, and for about a mile just north of Loch Pattack.

Hi Andrew S. Which maps - shown in your post - did you use for your trip please?