If Europe's out where in the UK??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
KTHSullivan

Re: If Europe's out where in the UK??

Post by KTHSullivan »

Lincolnshire Wolds are nice and quiet but one would need to be quite imaginative to concoct a 2 week tour.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

From what the tourism expert said on the TV this morning, you may be too late.

They reported that most holiday lets, hotels and campsites were already fully booked for the summer.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

st599_uk wrote:From what the tourism expert said on the TV this morning, you may be too late.

They reported that most holiday lets, hotels and campsites were already fully booked for the summer.

Does not surprise me.

Plus, if you were a campsite after all the lost income last year would you want a plot booked for a full week with associated income from your shop/burger stall/etc. or would you want a cyclist in tent for one night on the off-chance somebody might appear and use the plot in the next few days?

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There was a report on my news feed a couple of days ago - admittedly highlighting the environmental risks - talking about easing of planning restrictions on temporary campsites. The implication was that there will be lots of them springing up - sounds a bit like the solstice, although then, most were virtually empty.

Not sure how you find these temporary sites, possibly through council tourist info - if these still exists in these straitened times.

Edit: Just read that Glastonbury site has applied for a 56 day campsite licence. Family orientated, no festival, that is planned for later in September.
ossie

Post by ossie »

This is typical of a pop up camp site that opened last year in Dorset on one of my cycling routes.

https://www.tarrantvalleycamping.co.uk/

Glorious location, pub nearby. No showers and a few portable loos. From what I saw it never got that busy, however that's probably about to change pending the news on overseas holidays.

I still think for us cyclists Archies is a valuable resource. There are plenty of small sites completely off the beaten track that I doubt would fill up and I'm sure would accommodate a cyclist. Just keep away from the large commercial sites, most of them down here will be rammed.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

ossie wrote:This is typical of a pop up camp site that opened last year in Dorset on one of my cycling routes.

Glorious location, pub nearby. No showers and a few portable loos. From what I saw it never got that busy, however that's probably about to change pending the news on overseas holidays.

Looks nice, but it's £25 a pitch per night. Maybe OK for a family of nnn, but for a solo or twin camper it's quite a lot. I've looked at a few of these type of (back to basics) sites nearer to me and they seem to charge more than sites with facilities.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Not sure what accommodation the OP is looking for and at what budget. Anyway, this is an extract from a reply I made to another thread:

keyboardmonkey wrote:... Something like staying in a pub from (we hope) March onwards... If someone was staying near me my suggestion might the highest pub in the Yorkshire Wolds: the Wolds Inn, Huggate. Less than £200 in accommodation for a four-night stay if it's just you plus grub and your fuel to get there and back...

... Staying in this part of Yorkshire (or Pocklington or Sledmere etc.) means that as well as exploring the unspoilt Yorkshire Wolds you have access to the North York Moors, the 'heritage' coast (e.g. Flamborough and Bempton) as well as being able to cycle over the best bridge in the world for a spot of coffee and cake in North Lincolnshire (or flapjack from a petrol station if things are still a bit grim)...

With an eight-year-old - just about anywhere in this country - I would be looking to borrow someone's tandem. Just a thought.

Sticking with a fixed base in the Yorkshire Wolds I'd be looking for a self-catering cottage or similar. Looking at this web site with the filters 'Yorkshire Wolds' and 'self-catering...

https://www.visiteastyorkshire.co.uk/ac ... &poly=3271

... I'd be going for somewhere in these places from those currently available:

Huggate
Goodmanham
West Lutton
Sledmere
Helperthorpe
Pocklington
South Dalton.
Last edited by keyboardmonkey on 25 Mar 2021, 6:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

simonhill wrote:
ossie wrote:This is typical of a pop up camp site that opened last year in Dorset on one of my cycling routes.

Looks nice, but it's £25 a pitch per night. Maybe OK for a family of nnn, but for a solo or twin camper it's quite a lot. I've looked at a few of these type of (back to basics) sites nearer to me and they seem to charge more than sites with facilities.

some of these featured sites are topping £40 per pitch, for places described as "best almost-wild, off-grid campsites":

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... britain-uk

ouch, not for me!

all the best,

Keith
ossie

Post by ossie »

simonhill wrote:

I must admit I didn't even go so far as looking at the price ouch, more just an example of one of these pop up sites. Additionally if I'm paying for somewhere as a cyclist the minimum I'd expect is a shower or might as well pick one of the numerous wild camping spots nearby. If push came to shove as a solo and I was desperate I'd try and negotiate a price at the farm shop but yes agree these places aren't priced for cyclists.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote:

(I've not really camped much in UK in recent years) Don't campsites in UK have an open field area where tents just pitch in a "fairly sensible way", find space in the area and pitch not too close, not to far from the other tents. Seems fairly common in France, some in Germany, etc.

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Psamathe wrote:(I've not really camped much in UK in recent years) Don't campsites in UK have an open field area where tents just pitch in a "fairly sensible way", find space in the area and pitch not too close, not to far from the other tents. Seems fairly common in France, some in Germany, etc.

Ian

Ian, I think there are as many variations as there are campsites.

I camp a lot (with my VW van), but usually use 2 nearby sites that are very basic. Just weekends away in the country for easy access to good cycling. I also use a few more organised ones during a normal year with friends and groups, and see a wide variety, from laid out pitches for everybody, to 'rally fields' where it is go where you want.

Browsing a number of sites looking for a group I go away with, I get the feeling that many sites now charge per pitch which is car and family. Backpackers and cyclists are sometimes catered for, but getting rarer.

In the old days, the C&CC had their little sites which were often a small field or even at the bottom of someone's garden, etc. These have greatly reduced for a number of reasons: run by old people who have given up; onerous rules from the Club; high charge to be in the Club book; etc. In fact my favourite site is an ex Club site. His trade has dropped off as people want better facilities, including internet. I still use it as do a few others plus some rallies, but he has a planning application for part of the field.

In fairness, the C&CC do have a backpacker rate at their organised (Club) sites and I imagine that there are still backpacker/cyclist campsites near to major walking trails, just not so widespread anymore.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Whenever I've camped for the last few seasons, whether in the UK or on the continent, mine's been the only, or almost the only, tent – everyone else in caravans or campervans. If the demand slows to a trickle, I guess it's natural that the supply dries up too.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

In fairness, the C&CC do have a backpacker rate at their organised (Club) sites and I imagine that there are still backpacker/cyclist campsites near to major walking trails, just not so widespread anymore.

I used to just turn up to C&CC sites, but that rule that they would always find room for a solo hiker/cyclist was temporarily removed last year as they needed to know how many people they would have each night. I don't think it has been reinstated yet. I'm thinking of doing fixed point cycling holidays rather than tours.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

When we've camped in France, Netherlands and Belgium recently almost all the sites were fairly regimented with numbered pitches you had to stick within. IIRC only one in Belgium was open plan for tents.

Here in the UK we have both and probably in equal measures. It depends on the area and type of sites IME. Lakeland sites in a field are simply pitch where you can or fancy if slightly empty in most. Some have numbered pitches. The NT site in great langdales has a free for all area, free for all group field and a family field which has numbered pitches. So both types.

Sites like C&CC in Newquay had regimented, numbered pitches. IME sites near coastline, tourist areas tend to be more about numbered pitches you have to stick to.

Prices IME depends on type and level of amenities as you'd expect. £25 gets you a lot but £10 gets you the basics of field and toilet block. You want electric hookup and you're into £30 or more in most sites.

We've camped from Cornwall to the isle of Skye. Mostly lakes but with Yorkshire and North Wales a fair few times as well. Even the open field types you often end up with people pitching in an organised way. Usually regularly spaced around the field edges them sensibly fill out the middle. Only when really full do you see the gaps being filled in randomly. Others are chaos that effectively reduces capacity because there's gaps that are big but not big enough to fit a family tent in. Those sites probably be happy for a small, backpacker tent to squeeze another in.

I must admit I love camping. Right now we've got a converted van but we'll probably still pitch tents in preference in summer.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

simonhill wrote:Easy Anglia may be worth a look. It is close to NL and B (tee hee), but the cycling is not as safe or well signposted. You can find plenty of quiet roads to cycle, but you are always at risk of ending up on a B road that has fast and fairly heavy traffic.

Careful route planning can avoid, but some of the roads may then be a bit substandard. I speak as someone who has ridden some awful roads on the National Cycle routes in Suffolk. Nonetheless well worth a look for you. No major hills and some great scenery - coastal and rural, not to mention plenty of old historic towns.

As soon as we get some set weather after lockdown lifts, I'm off for a mini Travelodge tour of Norfolk and Suffolk.

A somewhat biased Essex Boy.

I generally agree about the East. I think that safe routes are possible without too much trouble, but it may be best to stay in a village or small town, and plan to use quiet roads. Although from someplace like Ipswich, Chelmsford, or Colchester, longish off-road routes are possible, there's probably only 2 or 3 days of that sort of thing, and then the risk of ending up on a busy road increases.

The NCNs tend to have a fair number of barriers, but otherwise are good routes for a child, and go places with things to do with kids, like Colchester Zoo, Country Parks, National Trust sites, etc.

The quietest lanes in Essex tend to be somewhat better condition than in Suffolk, but the roads in Suffolk tend to be a bit quieter.

Norfolk is a possibility, as well, though I would recommend avoiding any coastal roads. You would like be best off on either end (King's Lynn or Norwich), and exploring from there.

Some other place to consider are New Forest or Lee Valley? There are lots of routes around & through them that are suitable for kids, and some other things to do in those areas, as well. They may be busy this summer, though, with many people taking holidays in the UK.

In both cases, it would probably be easier to stay in just one or two places, and make day trips.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom