Drive Belt vs Chain, Rohloff Hub vs Derailler, and other questions.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cycle tramp

Re: Drive Belt vs Chain, Rohloff Hub vs Derailler, and other questions.

Post by cycle tramp »

..additional... I think you may have mentioned that this tour might not be happening for a while... which is good gives time to think...
Rather than invest money in an expensive bike, why not invest money in an adequate bicycle and use the financial difference in investing in your own skill set.
..take a professionally recognized course in bike maintenance, take a course in wheel building and perhaps even a course in metal braising, and perhaps even take some time out working at a bicycle recycling charity... this way you would (a) have the skills to repair your own bike if it breaks on route (b) be able to fix any number of broken bicycles at the organic farms you visit (and from my experience there may be a fair few) and even work in bike shops as you tour.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
doodah

Post by doodah »

A little off topic but how does one start about finding these organic farms before starting and also en route?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

doodah wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 9:33pm A little off topic but how does one start about finding these organic farms before starting and also en route?
https://wwoof.org.uk/

Mentioned by OP
doodah

Post by doodah »

Thank you - I will now digest that.

I had missed the link to the site from the OP but was aware of his MO and was honestly at a loss to wwoofing was until Simon explained.

Cheers for that BB
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

...additional... so the longest tour I was ever on was Land End to john O'Groats, it was only 3 weeks. I had toured before but nothing more than a week and a half.... and although I enjoyed it half way through the last week I was ready to come home. I had packed my tools, clothes, toiletries and a book. I missed my art, I missed my board games, I missed my small library.... Your plan is to be gone alot longer than three weeks and you'll be staying on farms where you might have time on your hands in the evening.... if you enjoy playing a musical instrument then you may need to factor that in, if you enjoy art, then you are going to have to think about that too.
At the start you asked what we would choose for such a trip. Well I wouldn't take the bike I had at the moment.. I would infact tour with a Surly Big Dummy- lots of space for clothes, art stuff, telescope, and tools. Plus when I was at the farms I could use it to carry stuff.... when cycling between farms i would 't attempt to cycle any more than 40 miles a day on it, but then I wouldn't have to. It's my tour, not someone else's and it will go on as long as i want it to.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

geocycle wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 12:56pm .... I'd favour a chain over a belt for ease of replacing if anything went wrong. ....
Belts last 10,000s km. With my frame (that splits on the drive side seat stay), it take a couple of minutes to change the belt. A spare weighs 80 grams and is easily stored.
doodah

Post by doodah »

Hi BikeBuddha,

Don't know if you are still interested in your round the world tour but maybe I can help out?

My situation has drastically and dramatically changed since our last exchanges and I will be selling all of my touring equipment, including bike - obviously - camping and cooking equipment and gps etc.

You can PM me for more info before I split it all up. There will be a bargain to be had for you if the bike is the right size.

To be eloquent, there is no crap amongst it and it will virtually be a one stop shop.

Regards

Doodah
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

BB was last active in April.