Drive Belt vs Chain, Rohloff Hub vs Derailler, and other questions.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BikeBuddha

Drive Belt vs Chain, Rohloff Hub vs Derailler, and other questions.

Post by BikeBuddha »

Hi All

I am brand new to touring and am thinking of going around the world by bike, working on organic farms along the way. If money was not an object, what features on a bike would you have?

Touring or Mountain Bike Are mountain bikes feasible?

Steel, aluminium or titanium frame? I have been told Steel is best because it can be welded.

Chain or Drive belt? I have been told Chain is best as the cutting out a section of the frame builds in weakness, and belt drives are not available in many less developed countries.

Rohloff hub or derailler? There are pros and cons to both, I know.

Dynamo with usb charger, vs no dynamo. No dynamo may be the way to go, as maps rather than gps might be best.

Rim brakes or disc brakes

Optional extras What features on a bike are a must (e.g. Mirror, lights, what paniers and bags?)

I have have looked at an Oxford Bike Works Expedition Model with a Rohloff hub..... what are your thoughts on this model compared to Koga, and the other brands?

https://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/expedition

Thank you for any help you can give.

May you be happy and free from suffering.
Jdsk

Re: Drive Belt vs Chain, Rohloff Hub vs Derailler, and other questions.

Post by Jdsk »

BikeBuddha wrote:No dynamo may be the way to go, as maps rather than gps might be best.

But most tourers now have an array of devices that need to be charged, not only navigation tools. My opening bid would be a hub dynamo and a couple of USB battery packs. In areas with more sunlight than Europe I might consider a solar panel.

Jonathan
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Cyclingabout.com has reviews on a number of these things.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

These are very personal things, but:
I like a steel frame for its feel, and because custom builders build almost exclusively in steel (m-gineering, my frame builder, does). I attach a picture.
I like a Rohloff hub for the convenience of changing gears and the right ratios for touring with luggage.
I think a belt is an expensive solution for a non existent problem, requiring a stiff and uncomfortable rear triangle.
I like my (SON) hub generator for reliable lighting under all conditions. Others also use it to charge gadgets (I don't). If you do, get the SON for 28 inch wheels.
I like navigating by gps but I almost always have maps with me as well.
Attachments
tour in Germany (2).jpeg
hufty

Post by hufty »

I wouldn't worry about frame material - frames don't break IRL. If yours does, you'll be hitching a lift to somewhere and working out how to get a new one, not asking around for welders.

More important is overall fit and comfort - that's why you would go for a tourer over a racer say. I would worry about contact points - handlebars pedals saddle, tyre clearance, mudguard clearance, racking options, and personally I won't have a bike with toe/front wheel overlap.

Rohloffs are for people who can't be bothered with irregular greasy tinkering. They just work, I would definitely get one. There are other benefits to them. Complicated componentry is generally considered a bad thing, a Rohloff is a clear exception to this.

You don't need a belt drive, and you don't need to lose sleep about the various chain tensioning systems. The chain can be as slack as you like as long as it doesn't fall off when you go round corners. Similarly no real need to clean chains with a rohloff - gear changes will be the same with a brand new chain as with a rusty old chain.

Dynamo charging sounds really good in theory. I guess it depends how much tech you take with you, how often you use it, and where you will be cycling. As you can usually find somewhere to charge stuff up every few days, a power bank and/or extra batteries will probably be sufficient.

Disc brakes probably the way to go nowadays although my tourers all have rim brakes. Wouldn't lose any sleep over this one. Similarly wheel size when that crops up.

Bikepacking is fashionable nowadays but you'll probably want panniers if you are stopping in places for longer as you'll want "normal" clothing and some creature comforts. There's a plasticky German brand that people rave about, there's an English brand made of ducks that people rave about, there are other brands that do the job that people just don't get excited about. Sink money into decent racks.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

The only advice I can offer, is make sure the bike has standard fitting components. Meaning compatible parts, one can find in simple bike stores. Many bike producers today like to fit their own components. What does this mean? that even in eastern Europe, you may have to wait 10 days for a part to arrive let alone the middle east or Africa. If you truly intend to tour the world, you will have to repair, either from worn out parts or simple accidents.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

If you’re going on a proper adventure, which will take you to very remote places, you’ll want a simple and reliable bike, with no ‘odd’ components. I’d say go for a steel framed touring type bike, with a chain, and derailleur gears. A Dynamo hub would be a good idea as well. Make sure you are 100 percent confident with any running repairs you will need to do, and pack the sorts of spares you possibly wouldn’t need to on a more normal ride / expedition ( spare rear mech, hanger and some spokes ) for example. Make sure you know how to read a map and use a compass as well. You can’t mitigate for every possible eventually, but make sure all ‘sensible bases’ are covered, take a deep breath, and crack on ( as soon as the pandemic situation allows).
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think the Rohloff hub has proved itself as a reliable unit for even long tours.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

willem jongman wrote:I think the Rohloff hub has proved itself as a reliable unit for even long tours.

Agreed.
All my foreign tours have been with a Thorn Raven Rohloff.
Add a Chainglider and ( for me ) a perfect set up.

I think I'd go for disc if it brought another bike but heck, this one keeps going and going....
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

Thanks, everyone.

I reckon it will be two years before I go on the tour, but will jaunt around UK first, once I buy the bike. Its expensive, but I hope it lasts twenty years, and as such, costs less than car insurance a year. I'm not sure how one can justify £3500+ for a bike, panniers, dynamo, etc.... but hand built wheels sound like a good idea.

Just wanted to say thank you for your kind help.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hopefully you can get something you want and like as there is a shortage of bikes available at the moment, mainly due to Covid problems. Shame you didn't buy back in 2019 when you were first looking.

I don't think you need to spend £3500 - I would think that £2000 would give you a good bike, including decent rack(s) and maybe even the panniers. You know your budget and spend what you can afford, but every pound on the bike is one less for the tour, so a balance is needed. The price of a Rohloff could keep you going for 6 months on the road. Also, bear in mind that if riding for 18 months or so before you set off on the big one, you will be replacing quite a few things on the bike so budget for them.

My (slightly old-fashioned) view is go for strong and simple.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote:I don't think you need to spend £3500 - I would think that £2000 would give you a good bike, including decent rack(s) and maybe even the panniers.

I was surprised at £3,500.

Jonathan
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

Frame: for durability I've found steel excellent. With the right design and construction it can also be very comfortable. The balance between weight and strength will depend on what sort of roads and terrain you want it to cope with.
FWIW, I think the key consideration is making sure the bike is stable and handles predictably both loaded as you expect it to be on tour and with no load. Try test rides including fast descents on iffy surfaces. I wouldn't personally buy without trying.

Rohloff every time for me. Change easily when stationary or caught out be the unexpected. Very reliable, and minimal maintenance, though I'd change the cables before a very big trip.

If you are going outside W Europe I wouldn't fit anything that couldn't be fixed with widely available parts and by limited skills bikeshop or DIY.

Dynohub and good lights are well worth it IMO. Daytime running lights for safety if needed and you don't have to worry about an unexpected late finish. Plus on the go charging option if you want it in future.

Strong rack(s) with capacity much higher than you plan carrying to allow for shockloads from bad road surfaces.

Touring is much more relaxing if you can enjoy what's around you rather than worrying about the bike.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

I think your defining decisions will be:

(1) do you want drop bars, or are you happy with flats? Flat bars make all decisions easier (re braking and gearing) but some of us find drop bars significantly more comfortable and versatile on the road.

(2) how unsporty are you prepared to go? If you really want an indestructable, go-anywhere touring bike something like a Thorn Raven will be absolutely perfect and needn't be £3500, especially if you find one second-hand in your size. Lots have been bought for long-distance tours that never quite happened, and can be bought for reasonable money with low mileage. However the more tractor-like a bike is, the less fun it will be to ride unladen on your sunny evening acclimatisation rides in the UK, such that you may begin to think you've bought a pup. This is why people like the modern gravel and bikepacking bikes, or the slightly older 'audax'-type bikes - more fun to ride when they're not doing the serious business of loaded touring. It's all a compromise - despite any degree of marketing, no bike can excel at both loaded expedition touring and unladen speedy jaunts with your Pinarello-riding mates.

On the other matters, my penn'orth would be certainly yes to the dynamo hub: you'll never notice it's there but the benefits of lighting and charging free at the point of use are marvellous; and probably yes to the Rohloff: it's the perfect thing for a touring bike in so many ways and an absolute pleasure to own as a piece of engineering, but again it's not as light and sporty as some derailleur systems. The Rohloff is a lot of money but it's capital investment. In general terms they do not break, they do not wear out, they do not become obsolete and you could probably use one for twenty years and sell it for 50% of what you paid for it. We've had one on the back of the tandem for a dozen years now and it's as good as new, and we bought it second-hand. I'd have one on all except the sportiest of my bikes if it wasn't for the cost.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

Jdsk wrote:
simonhill wrote:I don't think you need to spend £3500 - I would think that £2000 would give you a good bike, including decent rack(s) and maybe even the panniers.

I was surprised at £3,500.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon

The specs of the bike are on following site...

https://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/expedition

Add to this a rohloff hub, Ortleib Roller Classic panniers front and rear with bar bag , Supply and fit SON 28 dynamo hub with Sinewave Revolution
USB charger.....

This bike has been put together in collaboration with experienced expedition cycle adventurer Tom Allen of TomsBikeTrip.com, using his experience of travelling the world by bike. Every part of this bike has been built with longevity in mind; every component carefully thought through.We've resisted the temptation to up-spec it to justify an inflated price, using top-grade components where it makes sense and simple, easily replaceable parts where it doesn't. A Chris King headset, Tubus racks and supremely strong hand-built wheels are key components of this bike, eliminating as far as possible the chance of mechanical failure in the most critical long-term parts of the bike.