Drive Belt vs Chain, Rohloff Hub vs Derailler, and other questions.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Drive Belt vs Chain, Rohloff Hub vs Derailler, and other questions.

Post by simonhill »

Re Mark Beaumont and Rohloff.

I think he used it on his first big trip. The record breaking round the world that was shown on TV.

I seem to remember he had problems on first few days then all OK. However, he was a bit miserable/grumpy a lot of the time.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
I wasn't aware that Mark Beaumont used a Rohloff.
He didn't use one on his African trip.
Where can I find out about his use of one on his RTW trip?
Thanks

Hit Amazon and search for the book 'The man who cycled the world - Mark Beaumont' It's a great read.

It was his first RTW (not the RTW/80 days) and was unsupported. His bike had a Rohloff hub with chain drive. He had problems with the original wheel build but NOT the Rohloff.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

doodah wrote:Bike Buddha,

Hell, there would even have been enough money left over for a couple of nights in a brothel unless wellies are your penchant. :lol:

Doodah

Bit of a thread divert there, but since you did, there would also be money for that great bargain (a fiver for life last time I looked) OSMand+ on Android, which actually shows brothels. Can't remember under what subheading but they are there.

Good advice upthread by the way on waiting a while and then going for lightly used secondhand.
Sweep
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think it may be of relevance that the OP intends to do the trip as a series of legs between spells working on organic farms, as opposed to a single pedalled event. Now those farms may be a continent apart perhaps, or more frequent, it would be interesting to know.

I must confess, in that context I'm much less in the 'learn your trade' camp, which would have the OP do a series of tours before the big one, spending 2-3 years deciding the pros and cons of each and every nut and widget. Sure careful thought needs to be given to the bike, but there really are several suppliers in the UK, and others overseas, which will equip an explorer with what he or she needs, leveraging their own considerable experience (OBW, Thorn, Stanforth immediately spring to mind in the UK).
PH

Post by PH »

doodah wrote:Mark Beaumont and Alan Denham have both used Rohloffs on their RTW travels.

RTW record holders since Mark Beaumont’s first record: James Bowthorpe took a few days off it with another Rohloff and this one with a belt. Then Julian Sayarer’s unratified ride which took another few days off was also with a Rohloff, though he didn’t like it. Then Vin Cox took another few days off, with an 8 speed Alfine hub in a Genesis frame not designed for it. Then Mike Hall used a different approach and a bike with derailleurs to smash the record, from Vin’s 163 days to 91 by the same rules and incredibly unsupported, though Guinness changed the rules after he’d set off and his ride wasn’t ratified. I don’t think anyone beat Mike Hall’s time before Mark Beaumont’s 80 days, though that was fully supported and on a road bike.
If I’d draw any conclusion, it would be that these are incredible records because of the riders not the bikes.
pq

Post by pq »

I'd get a steel frame, rohloff, rim brakes with CSS rims, chain drive, square taper bb, tubus racks, Chris King headset, 26" wheels. My bike is described in some detail here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=65310&v=3t.. Since then it's acquired V brakes and CSS rims. It doesn't have a Rohloff becasue they didn't exist when I built it.
One link to your website is enough. G
doodah

Post by doodah »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
doodah wrote:Mark Beaumont and Alan Denham have both used Rohloffs on their RTW travels. Here is a link to what Alan Denham has to say about Gates carbon drive.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SKeQ6B2UTk. I hope you find it informative.
Doodah

I wasn't aware that Mark Beaumont used a Rohloff.
He didn't use one on his African trip.
Where can I find out about his use of one on his RTW trip?
Thanks

Here is a link to his 2008 RTW tour. https://bicycletouringpro.com/the-man-w ... -beaumont/

He also used a Rohloff for the Americas tour. Admittedly he used derailleurs for his record breaking tour in 2017. I believe all these tours were supported so make of that what you will as regards ALL the equipment necessary for a RTW tour for Joe Average.

I didn't hesitate for one moment when I spec'd my first touring bike in 2005 and I hadn't done any solo long distance touring at all - only Lejog. I learned a huge amount of knowledge when I did go from Valence to Compostella de Santiago solo and was bitten by the bug. I know of other people who have the dream and have given up after a week because the 'mindset' is not there. I suppose that is what Willem is trying to advise - especially with Covid presenting barriers both domestically and internationally. I paid £1500 for my Raven in 2005 and sold it for £1350 in 2012. I think that is a good return for my investment. If BikeBuddha buys something like that red Raven for £1500, it will physically and materialistically tell him if this is what he wants to do, providing he is psychologically motivated and positive. That bike would see him RTW and would also see him get a good return and inform him what HE wants to spec - hence my offer to lend him my bike.

Yes, one can fish an old bike out of a skip, put some Morrisons plastic carriers on the handlebars, don some open toe sandals, wet your finger and stick it in the air and go, with not a care in the world for the consequences. Fair play to anyone who can do that. I cannot. I have to be organised and set my stall out and buy to the best of my realistic budget for the job in hand. That confidence and peace of mind that good quality equipment -regardless of manufacturer - is worth a lot of money and enhances the tour.

His choice of frame material should be 1st and I would always choose steel purely from the ease of it being able to be repaired virtually anywhere in the world. His next choice should then be the wheels and so it continues until he has researched all the pro's and con's and can then spec his bike. For instance, I have always spec'd a Brooks B17 saddle in tan because they are - I think? - acknowledged as the default and go to saddle. But, on a RTW tour would i spec one again? Perhaps not. I would - I think - spec a Brooks Cambian because of its resistance to sun and rain. It was the rain that buggered one of my B17's when cycling across France, in spite of using the approved covering.So there you go, I have to let common sense dominate emotional feelings and be realistic.

I hope we can all help him in his determination to achieve his dream - even Sweep has come up with an app for a brothel - how good is that? Depending on where Bike Buddha is in the world, he may have enough money left over for a couple of weeks in a brothel, let alone a couple on nights.

Doodah
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Interesting comment C17 Cambrian vs B17 Brookes, something I have pondered occasionally, esp for a winter/bad weather bike.
With a plastic bag (or better) stuffed under my leather Brookes, in 40 years (commuting/club riding/camping up to a World tour) my saddles have occasionally had a slight drizzle coating, nothing worse. Never had a drenching that would ruin it if ridden (I use full mud guards). That said, if you ride the saddle uncovered in rain, be wary of getting the saddle nose soaked (this tends to be rain intensity/wind/jacket design dependent).
Also you need to keep an eye on the nose bolt tension (so keep the Brookes spanner handy), if if goes slack, the sides can splay out (so you get leg rub), once out, not so easy to get them back in unless you tie them in.
Some friends using C17 saddles had a snapped saddle rail in Kazakstan or somewhere, an M4 bolt splint in the hollow rail didn't last long. I think eventually they managed to get a replacement saddle frame couriered out, but she had put her back out in the interim due to the lopsided saddle.
B17 have solid rails. Painted/coated rails are better, anecdotally chrome rails not as durable due to the chroming process.
Also I think Brookes saddle rails have less fore - aft adjustment (Spa equivalents have more adjustment I believe).
Nice interesting thread though.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

pq wrote:I'd get a steel frame, rohloff, rim brakes with CSS rims, chain drive, square taper bb, tubus racks, Chris King headset, 26" wheels. My bike is described in some detail here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=65310&v=3t.. Since then it's acquired V brakes and CSS rims. It doesn't have a Rohloff becasue they didn't exist when I built it.

CCS rims?
I have them on my Thorn Raven Tour, with Rohloff.
Hate 'em. Awful in the wet. And yes, I've tried all the different pads; blue pink salmon etc.
And I believe Thorn no longer use them.
In fact, are they still made?

I'm genuinely interested your own opinion.
Always something to learn here.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
PH

Post by PH »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
pq wrote:CCS rims?
Hate 'em. Awful in the wet. And yes, I've tried all the different pads; blue pink salmon etc.

I've always found it odd that people can have such a different experience with these, I have two front wheels with CSS Grizzly rims and the braking is the same as when using aluminium rims, wet or dry, same bikes and brakes. I don't doubt those who have such experience, just find it puzzling.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
pq wrote:I'd get a steel frame, rohloff, rim brakes with CSS rims, chain drive, square taper bb, tubus racks, Chris King headset, 26" wheels. My bike is described in some detail here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=65310&v=3t.. Since then it's acquired V brakes and CSS rims. It doesn't have a Rohloff becasue they didn't exist when I built it.

CCS rims?
And I believe Thorn no longer use them.
In fact, are they still made?

I'm genuinely interested your own opinion.
Always something to learn here.

I have CSS rims on my Thorn Tandem. The blue pads were great when the rims were new with their slightly rough coating and slightly less efficient now the rims are smoother. I have heard that some changed to softer salmon pads but I have not done so yet. The CSS rims are out of production and Thorn now suggests a rear disc brake so as not to have to re build the Rohloff rear wheel when the rim fails and a V brake on the front.

Mike
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Nobody has mentioned the Pinion frame gearbox as an alternative to Rohloff/derailleur options. Yes it implies a restricted choice of frame, but in specc'ing the perfect bike, it is part of the process of pros and cons. Any comments from the group please?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Pinion has one advantage (more gears and a greater range), but costs some 1000 euros more, weighs one kilo more, has higher internal resistance, and a high Q factor. I am still more than happy with my Rohloff hub, as the range is perfectly fine for me.
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

willem jongman wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
willem jongman wrote:To be sure, I am not suggesting that you should not buy a nice expensive bike, on the contrary. I am only suggesting not just now, until you know more. Spend a few hundred pounds, and go. After a year or two when you know what suits you, sell that second hand bike and spend big.

What are the lessons that the OP should focus on during the intervening years?

1 Does he actually like cycle touring?
Not a clue. Never done it.

2 What kind of roads? Mostly tarmac or off road?
I'd like some off road capacity.

3 How much luggage?
Clothe, tent, cooking gear..a mobile phone and a kindle

4 Frame style, aluminium vs steel?
Everyone says steel...

5 Geometry
Clueless here

6 Wheel/tyre size
Heard 26 " wheels are the strongest...

7 Drop bar or straight
STraight

8 Lights and hub generator
This is probably a good idea?

9 Prefered style of pedals
Not a clue

Not a clue what I am doing. Have real difficulty with decision making, but just acting on instinct, really. Need an alternative way of living.

I read Tom Allen's book and he recommends, and helped design, the Oxford Bike Works Expedition model.

I also test rode a bike for an hour, unladen. It road well and I enjoyed it.
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think it may be of relevance that the OP intends to do the trip as a series of legs between spells working on organic farms, as opposed to a single pedalled event. Now those farms may be a continent apart perhaps, or more frequent, it would be interesting to know.

I must confess, in that context I'm much less in the 'learn your trade' camp, which would have the OP do a series of tours before the big one, spending 2-3 years deciding the pros and cons of each and every nut and widget. Sure careful thought needs to be given to the bike, but there really are several suppliers in the UK, and others overseas, which will equip an explorer with what he or she needs, leveraging their own considerable experience (OBW, Thorn, Stanforth immediately spring to mind in the UK).

Everything is a bit up in the air. I had the idea two years ago, but because of the difficulty of choosing a bike, I didn't buy a bike and tour. I've wwoofed before, though, in Canada for over a year. I was a goat herder in the Yukon, as part of it. In truth, I no next to nothing about bikes, and looked at the OBW expedition after reading Tom Allen's book. After test riding one briefly (an hour), I thought that it would do.

I don't exactly have a fixed place to stay, or a base from which to tour. So, I was thinking of just buying a bike that would do the job. It is a lot of money, though......... but I know i want a rohloff hub.

I'm unsure how I will do several tours before hand, except around UK, and Scotland, where I live. But if you invest in a bike for £1500, second hand, and the new one costs around £3000, there is a sizeable difference. But the OBW seems to be a really good bike that would last me years.

I'm also impatient, impulsive, and indecisive at the same time.

:D