Vrienden op de Fiets in the UK

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Vrienden op de Fiets in the UK

Post by Steve X »

We have used the Vrienden op de Fiets on a trip to the Netherlands and have visited a couple in the UK. We thought they were great and are thinking when we move house of becoming a host.

Its a shame that there are not more in the UK, and I find it rather odd that cyclists who I know that have cycled toured for many years have never heard of them.

For people who have never heard of them, here is the website https://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en

Its 10€ to join, and €22.50 per night, for Bed, Shower and a Breakfast of Kings.

You can sometimes book in advance, but generally they like you to book a day or two in advance, as they are not a business, so they want, and offer flexibility. There are so many in the Netherlands, that if you ring one and they are out that night, there is nearly always another nearby.

They are a bit like Warmshowers, but all the hosts in the book are active, as opposed to Warmshowers, were some have packed in.

Anyway, it would be nice I we had more in the UK, Pandemic allowing.
Cheers Steve
st599_uk

Re: Vrienden op de Fiets in the UK

Post by st599_uk »

I believe the Cycle Touring Festival have just started a similar scheme in the UK.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

st599_uk wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 4:25pm I believe the Cycle Touring Festival have just started a similar scheme in the UK.
"Cycle Touring Friends":
https://cycletouringfestival.co.uk/friends/

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I have used Vrienden in the past, pleased to see it is still going, great for touring!
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thank you for the replies, sorry I am slow to reply, I was expecting an email to say the Moderators had approved the posting, but not to worry.

On the Festival of Cycling website I found this interesting.

Doesn’t this already exist?
There used to be a network like this in the UK, but it no longer exists. There is Warm Showers, a hosting network which spans the globe, but the purpose of the CTF network is to offer a more personalised, UK-focussed service. Several other countries have their own networks of cycle tourists, where members receive a directory of other members who are willing to host them, so we are taking inspiration from them.

I am rather new to the world of cycle touring, but does anyone remember this Network that is mentioned?