Claud Butler Dalesman - hand built in England? Does that just mean assembled in England?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thistle

Claud Butler Dalesman - hand built in England? Does that just mean assembled in England?

Post by Thistle »

Trying to figure out if this is a British made bike, or just assembled in the UK. Reynolds 531st. I haven't seen this exact logo on a google search so have no idea what decade it's from, but I'm guessing it's a later model. Any input is appreciated!

markjohnobrien

Re: Claud Butler Dalesman - hand built in England? Does that just mean assembled in England?

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thistle wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 7:48am Trying to figure out if this is a British made bike, or just assembled in the UK. Reynolds 531st. I haven't seen this exact logo on a google search so have no idea what decade it's from, but I'm guessing it's a later model. Any input is appreciated!

Sorry, I cannot tell from the picture whether it was a newer or later model.

However, I’m sure that older 531 frames were built in Britain as they had framebuilders but the later 631 models were all made abroad.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Re: Claud Butler Dalesman - hand built in England? Does that just mean assembled in England?

Post by markjohnobrien »

http://www.nkilgariff.com/ClaudButler.htm

Gives catalogue information.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

markjohnobrien wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 8:02am http://www.nkilgariff.com/ClaudButler.htm

Gives catalogue information.
Thank you! Unfortunately I can't find any info regarding this particular frame in that link. So 531st frames were only made in the UK?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Looking at the style of the Claud Butler frame decals I think that is a frame made after Falcon took over CB. However I'm pretty certain that the frame would be UK built. I can no longer remember if Falcon continued production of CBs at the Penge factory for a while. I think that your bike probably dates from the late 80s
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I understand that by the mid 90’s, production went abroad as the earlier 531 frames were made in Britain.

Unfortunately, you need to find a catalogue to pin down the date of your bike.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thank you both! I don't actually own the bike, but am trying to decide if it's worth a punt :wink:
colin54

Post by colin54 »

This one in the 1998 catalogue looks very similar but not quite the same as the bike in the ebay ad (I had a look), 8 speed RX100 at the back, Ultegra bar end shifters but different front hub (STX) in the ad - but of course components could well have been replaced over the years. Nice bikes, the Dalesman was Claud Butler's most expensive tourer at one time, it was their Dawes Super Galaxy equivalent. Be aware if you weren't, that the bike may not have a lot more room between the chainstays for a much wider tyre than the original 28mm width fitted for this era of bike.
From studying the catalogues; the previous couple of years were using Campagnolo components, further back 7 speed Shimano, so either '98 or onwards is my best guess.
As for where this era CB was made I have no idea, but note at the back of the catalogue a PO box in Brigg is given as the address & owned by Falcon who were based there .
The first link is to the 1998 page with the Dalesman & the second link is to all the Claud Butler catalogues on the Retrobike forum.
'Peachy' over at the Retrobike forum is the CB expert, I think he may run the Kilgarrif site linked to up-thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 5.jpg.html
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... Catalogue/
Nu-Fogey
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thank you so much Colin - that's very helpful info!!!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The original Claud Butler ceased trading in the late fifties.
I presume he sold off the name since when it has been attached to various company's products.
The "Dalesman" looks to be a nice frame but I've seen the name attached to other offerings which I don't feel reflect the quality of the handbuilt originals.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I owned a 1996 Dalesman, it’s in the catalogue referred to above, in blue and unusually came with a Campag Mirage groupset. I really liked it, but wrote the frame off in a crash around 2006.

I think the Claud Butler name was acquired by the Falcon Cycles group, but they still attached it to quality bikes up to around 2000, when it became more of a budget brand. So I would say a 1998 Dalesman is certainly worth a punt, depending on the condition. Mine was replaced with a Ridgeback Panorama and then a Dawes Super Galaxy, but I still have fond memories of the Dalesman.

I remember talking to an older guy whilst out on a ride, who saw my bike and told me about his Claud Butler from the 1950’s.
Last edited by TrevA on 2 May 2021, 8:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
gaz

Post by gaz »

Stick on head badge, stick on logo on the seat tube and the fonts look the same as my Legend.
Mine's a '98 based on Shimano date codes.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

thank you both for the info! I'm still deciding between a Dalesman, Galaxy, Randonneur, etc. Hoping to find one from the 1990s.

So this Dalesman was made in the UK, not just assembled in the UK?
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I decided against the Dalesman.

I'm going to try out a nice late 1990's Super Galaxy on Monday, fingers crossed that it will be coming home with me :wink:
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Good luck - late model 708 Raleigh Randonneurs, silver soldered frame, are very nice if you don’t get the Dawes and built by top, top, class framebuilders.