Ferry to Ireland without a valid passport?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Ferry to Ireland without a valid passport?

Post by 1982john »

I've tried to do a bit of research on this but looking to see if anyone else has tried this.

Looking to go on a short cycling trip abroad without spending a small fortune. My passport ran out and I want to put off renewing it for a while. Could I visit Ireland with a birth certificate/driving license?

I know airlines would most likely want a passport but what about ferries?
Jdsk

Re: Ferry to Ireland without a valid passport?

Post by Jdsk »

"Most people need a valid passport to enter the Republic or Northern Ireland but there are some exceptions:
If you're a UK citizen, you can also use official photo identification.
If you're an EU citizen, you can also use a national identity card.
Air and sea carriers require some form of photo identification (usually either a passport or driving licence), so ALWAYS check what form of ID is required with your individual airline, ferry company or travel agent before travelling."

https://www.ireland.com/en/help-and-adv ... passports/

As above, I'd check very carefully and directly with every organisation that could block your passage.

Jonathan

PS: Have you checked the requirements related to the outbreak?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have never taken my passport with me when I have been to Ireland and I have never been asked for one. I did stay in a hotel in Dublin once where they asked for some identity and just showed them my driving licence. That is the only time I have every been asked for any form of identity.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 8:44pm

PS: Have you checked the requirements related to the outbreak?
Still pretty restricted travel over here at the mo across the island plus across the Irish Sea:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/co ... ravel-area

Cheers,

Keith
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Bikepacker: Brexit will have changed that situation. So do enquire.
PH

Post by PH »

willem jongman wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 8:19am Bikepacker: Brexit will have changed that situation. So do enquire.
No, the Common Travel Area agreement means for UK citizens it hasn't changed.
I haven't been to Ireland since the 90's, though it's on my list of places I'd like to go back to, the advise then was to carry photo ID, though I can't remember ever being asked for it. The current advise from Irish Ferries seems to be the same now
https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/freq ... ification/
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The link above was written a while ago quote: "Brexit: If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, "

It certainly looks like you will be OK, but I would still get written confirmation as things and people's attitudes can change.

I like that a bus pass is acceptable.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Although I haven't been to Ireland since the early 2000s I've never been asked for any form of ID in the 4 or 5 visits we made. We did once get asked where we were from as we cycled off the ferry. "England" we replied."Ah sure, have a great time" said the official as he waved us though.
PH

Post by PH »

simonhill wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:39am The link above was written a while ago quote: "Brexit: If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, "
I did give the name of the agreement and it isn't hard to look it up:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... a-guidance
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm not doubting it should be OK, just that the link was written some time ago and current practice could have altered. Why not check.

Remember how many people have complained about easyJet refusing bikes when their web policy clearly said they were allowed. It's a bit late when you are standing on the dock.