Kindle and Maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
millimole

Re: Kindle and Maps

Post by millimole »

simonineaston wrote: London A-Z, the point being it was, back then, black & white. It worked fine.
I think an A-Z style map might work on an ereader such as a Kindle, but we've generally got used to electronic maps that scroll infinitely and have lots of detail.
An eInk map in the manner you describe would ideally have linked pages at each edge of the screen and only the essential detail in pure black&white rather than greyscale.

It could work, and I'm surprised if such a map doesn't exist on some platform or another.

(Kindles are not the only eInk devices)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
simonineaston

Re: Kindle and Maps

Post by simonineaston »

When I last experimented with maps on e-books, my idea was to have available an image of centre-ville of towns on my itinerary - a fairly modest aim, I thought. I got screenshots off of the IGN web pages. However, in practice, what with most towns I went through being small, and once I'd got to know the general orientation of French rural towns, with regard to their churches, roads / signs and that nice shiny helper, the Sun, I actually found that I didn't really need the street plan very often.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)