Kindle and Maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iandusud

Kindle and Maps

Post by iandusud »

My wife and I are putting our kit together for a camping weekend as a test run before a longer touring holiday in the summer. The last time we did cycle camping was 30 years ago on solos, this time it will be on the tandem. My wife is asking how many books she can take. Last time we took two paperbacks, one each and swapped. However she likes to have two books on the go at a time so I was wondering about a Kindle which then got me thinking if there is any way to have maps on a Kindle. I don't want a device which needs regular charging otherwise I'd get a small tablet. Any experience please?
Jdsk

Re: Kindle and Maps

Post by Jdsk »

I make Kindle books for our trips: local flora and fauna, geography and history, where to visit with access details etc. I do include maps, but it isn't easy to get the quality that we're used to on 'phones and tablets, let alone on dead trees.

I suggest making some as an experiment and seeing how they work for you. Happy to share workflow here if that would be helpful.

Jonathan

PS: Travel documents, tickets, insurance etc also go on the Kindle, and on the iPhones, and on the cloud.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 3:16pm I make Kindle books for our trips: local flora and fauna, geography and history, where to visit with access details etc. I do include maps, but it isn't easy to get the quality that we're used to on 'phones and tablets, let alone on dead trees.

I suggest making some as an experiment and seeing how they work for you. Happy to share workflow here if that would be helpful.

Jonathan

PS: Travel documents, tickets, insurance etc also go on the Kindle, and on the iPhones, and on the cloud.
Hi Jonathan, yes please share. I'm by no means a technophobe but I've never been anywhere near a Kindle so have no idea how to make a Kindle book.

Cheers, Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hi Ian

Here's a convenient first experiment. Have a go and tell us if/ where you get stuck. But it will need access to a Kindle!

1 Choose a PDF.

2 Send it to Kindle using convert as the Subject line, as described here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

3 Synch the Kindle.

4 Inspect the Kindle book that has appeared.

Then we'll build up from there.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 27 Apr 2021, 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I think Kindles are great but, more recently, have been using the Kindle app on iPhone and iPad.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I autosynch the Kindle account across several devices, including my iPhone and several of the Macs.

But when touring or walking I use the actual Kindle for reading... big screen, good in most lighting, enormous time before needing to recharge, not very expensive to replace.

Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Excuse my ignorance but are there different types of Kindle and if so what should I be looking at?

Thanks, Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, there are.

Here's the range:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Ki ... generation

I'm currently using a Paperwhite, no extra memory, and no advertising, and I'd buy the same again. You'd need a vast library of books to need more memory... but I don't use it for audio and that might be different. You pay extra for not having the advertising... easily worth it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07747FR44

As above the same content can be read on other devices. (And it knows which page you're on on the other device, which was delightful when it first appeared. )

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 27 Apr 2021, 4:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Totally recommend a Kindle Paperwhite. Good long battery-charge intervals - I seem to get 10 days minimum out of a single charge, reading every day. The method of screen illumination is very satisfactory for use both in a dark tent or B&B without distrubing the significant other who may want some much-needed slumber. Commentators inc myself note that the e-ink screen is restful on the peepers and doesn't b****r up the cercadian rhythms in the way that brighter, colour devices can. Obviously there is no practical limit to the number of books you take, which can include reference like dictionaries, tour guides.
Additionally, if you get real keen, you can create your own e-books, where content is your choice, so potential useful for route guidence, itinerary etc..
Downside is that in my view, they don't render maps in any useful way - I made a tour guide one year that included screenshots of town-centre street maps, but they weren't of any practical use, I'm afraid - far better off with smart phone now.
Wouldn't want to travel without mine. I know it's probably superfluous to want to go about with a whole library of books with you, but it's a luxury I quickly got used to - some folks relish choosing a special book before they go which is fine, but it's also great to simply have all the books you might want to read with you!
Last edited by simonineaston on 27 Apr 2021, 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 3:56pm I autosynch the Kindle account across several devices, including my iPhone and several of the Macs.

But when touring or walking I use the actual Kindle for reading... big screen, good in most lighting, enormous time before needing to recharge, not very expensive to replace.

Jonathan
I agree with your comments on the Kindle (physical item) but I was unlucky with the guarantee: it stopped working a few months after expiry which was a pain. Hence my use of the app on other devices to add resilience.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Set me thinking though: it was bad luck to break but, I liked it so much, I’ll keep an eye out for a reduced Kindle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

There are factory refurbished options.

But isn't that cross-platform ability great?

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I agree: it’s wonderful to be able to use on PC; iPhone; iPad and the physical device itself.

Yes, I’ve been looking for a refurbished device and as it has a guarantee...
millimole

Post by millimole »

Beware the Kindle Fire series
These are perfectly capable tablet computers, but they are not true ereaders. They have colour screens - so good for maps - but this is at the expense of weight and battery life.
They make good book readers as long as you accept the limitations.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

millimole wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:21pm Beware the Kindle Fire series
These are perfectly capable tablet computers, but they are not true ereaders. They have colour screens - so good for maps - but this is at the expense of weight and battery life.
They make good book readers as long as you accept the limitations.
Thanks.