Kindle and Maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonineaston

Re: Kindle and Maps

Post by simonineaston »

Oh - and the essential partner for a Kindle (or any other e-book reader) is of course Calibre, top-notch e-book management software, seen here.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

How does the cheaper Kindle compare with the Paperwhite? Any serious disadvantages? The cheaper one is available now, the Paperwhite is 2-3 months delay.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:36pm Oh - and the essential partner for a Kindle (or any other e-book reader) is of course Calibre, top-notch e-book management software, seen here.
I have several eBook programs, but I don't use any of them routinely. I do use Kindle's email convert facility, as upthread.

What do you use it for, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:36pm Oh - and the essential partner for a Kindle (or any other e-book reader) is of course Calibre, top-notch e-book management software, seen here.
Interesting: I’d missed that. Thanks for posting.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I find it easier to store lots of books on my MBP / Calibre, than on my Kindle, due to better handling of metadata, and then add to or remove books from Kindle. Any more than, say, 5 or 6 swipes to get through the Kindle home page/s is getting a bit unwieldy for me, whereas Calibre seems to cope with hundreds of books with aplomb.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 7:05pm
I find it easier to store lots of books on my MBP / Calibre, than on my Kindle, due to better handling of metadata, and then add to or remove books from Kindle. Any more than, say, 5 or 6 swipes to get through the Kindle home page/s is getting a bit unwieldy for me, whereas Calibre seems to cope with hundreds of books with aplomb.
Thanks

Jonathan
mmcnay

Post by mmcnay »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:42pm
I have several eBook programs, but I don't use any of them routinely. I do use Kindle's email convert facility, as upthread.

Thanks

Jonathan
I use Calibre. Excellent and very powerful. It can convert epub to mobi, and pdf to mobi - so you can read stuff outside of the Amazon world, on the Amazon device. I now have a Kobo, which I prefer as the less I have to do with Amazon the more I like it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 3:42pm Hi Ian

Here's a convenient first experiment. Have a go and tell us if/ where you get stuck. But it will need access to a Kindle!

1 Choose a PDF.

2 Send it to Kindle using convert as the Subject line, as described here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

3 Synch the Kindle.

4 Inspect the Kindle book that has appeared.

Then we'll build up from there.
I've just discovered that the Wikipedia Book Creator is down:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/ ... ctionality

But that won't affect the experiment above. It will affect my planned second experiment, and I'd now fall back to Calibre for that...
https://calibre-ebook.com

: - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 3:13pm... if there is any way to have maps on a Kindle.
Jdsk wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 3:16pmI do include maps, but it isn't easy to get the quality that we're used to on 'phones and tablets, let alone on dead trees.
Any more experiences with or thoughts on this, anyone?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

When the Paperwhite emerged on the market I did wonder if it could be a one-stop-shop, what with its e-ink screen, built-in browser and audio handling capability. All it needs, I thought, is a gps chip and That's A Bingo! However, the fact that it fell short of good usability in a number of key areas has contributed to my conclusion that one is best sticking to multiple Top Performers - although the Kindle itself is still my chosen ebook reader. (My chosen Top Performer cycling trip phone is another e-ink-screen-equipped item, Motorola's super-slim&light F3, which like the Paperwhite, benefits from loooong battery life.)
S
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have a paperwhite which I take touring for books and it's excellent. But last (non-cycling) travels I took it and downloaded/purchased a guide book (Lonely Planet) which was fine except for the maps which just didn't render on the screen. So I suspect not good for mapping.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The qualities required of a good on-screen map - large screen-estate, readily dragged image, high resolution and full colour - just aren't in the Paperwhite's capabilities. In a way, what makes it so good at displaying print means it's rubbish at maps!
S
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

iandusud wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:40pm How does the cheaper Kindle compare with the Paperwhite? Any serious disadvantages? The cheaper one is available now, the Paperwhite is 2-3 months delay.
Bump. 😊
millimole

Post by millimole »

iandusud wrote:
iandusud wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:40pm How does the cheaper Kindle compare with the Paperwhite? Any serious disadvantages? The cheaper one is available now, the Paperwhite is 2-3 months delay.
Bump. Image
My wife has a paperwhite and it's a great device - she gets over a week out of it. Battery life is dependent on page turns / screen refresh. It's streets ahead of her original basic one.
If I was bought into the Amazon world its what I'd have (I have a Boox Onyx Poke 2, which is Android based and has about 4-5 days battery the way I use it)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...not found a device yet, that can unfold and get laid out on a table...
S