Kindle and Maps

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andrew_s

Re: Kindle and Maps

Post by andrew_s »

iandusud wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:40pm How does the cheaper Kindle compare with the Paperwhite? Any serious disadvantages? The cheaper one is available now, the Paperwhite is 2-3 months delay.
The cheaper Kindle isn't waterproof, and the display resolution is lower.
Non-waterproof means don't drop it in a puddle, not that a few raindrops are a problem.
The display resolution is fine for text, but any images won't look as good (not that they are ever terribly good with the limited greyscale).

There's also no extra-cost option for loads-a-memory (only needed for comics full of images, or for audiobooks) or for data transfer via the phone network.

I find that "weeks of battery life" equates to 4 or 5 regular paperback length books, and that duration depends more on how fast I read.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

andrew_s wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 1:14am
iandusud wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:40pm How does the cheaper Kindle compare with the Paperwhite? Any serious disadvantages? The cheaper one is available now, the Paperwhite is 2-3 months delay.
The cheaper Kindle isn't waterproof, and the display resolution is lower.
Non-waterproof means don't drop it in a puddle, not that a few raindrops are a problem.
The display resolution is fine for text, but any images won't look as good (not that they are ever terribly good with the limited greyscale).

There's also no extra-cost option for loads-a-memory (only needed for comics full of images, or for audiobooks) or for data transfer via the phone network.

I find that "weeks of battery life" equates to 4 or 5 regular paperback length books, and that duration depends more on how fast I read.
Thanks for the helpful reply. So would you say that if it's just for reading that it would be a good option?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I’ve just bought a paperwhite off Amazon and it’s on special offer for both 8g and 32g versions and interest free credit for five months.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for reminding me of how good the Kindle can be.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It will be interesting to compare with my much older, and basic model, that broke.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I bought the Mark 1 version which also gave you free basic internet access!! It was brilliant as it lasted many weeks. The downside of course was that the screen was not lit so like a book you could only read it in daylight or with a light.

It lasted for ages but eventually wore out!! Now replaced with a paperwhite. No internet and shorter battery life but can be read in the dark. I agree that the library feature is rather long winded as I have probably 40 pages of books!!

It certainly beats carrying Wolf Hall around France for a week!!

I use a Wahoo or OSMAND on my smartphone for maps and of course the photos are rubbish unlike on a smartphone or tablet so really only works for text in my view.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks to everyone on this thread for reminding me of how good the Kindle can be.
Last tip is to link to the Project Gutenberg page wherein can be found a treasure-trove of free copyright-free books.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

iandusud wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 8:08am Thanks for the helpful reply. So would you say that if it's just for reading that it would be a good option?
It's fine for reading what would be general paperback fiction. As I said, it's images & diagrams that will be noticeably worse, and, I suppose, possibly the very smallest fonts.
I actually use a Paperwhite, bought at a time when the basic Kindle didn't have a front light, which I regard as being important.

One other difference that I forgot is that the basic kindle has a slightly recessed screen, whilst the front paperwhite is completely flush.

I always use a standard kindle flip case, mostly for screen protection, but the on/off function is also handy. Fancy 3rd party cases can add substantial extra size, enough to make the kindle non-pocketable.

One point to note is "special offers". If you pay £10 less, the kindle screen shows what are basically adverts when it's not in use, and Amazon being what it is, these will be tailored to your normal reading, advertising your reading habits to all and sundry. I gather that it is possible to pay the £10 at a later date and get the special offers screen turned off if you find it annoying.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

brianleach wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 11:36amNow replaced with a paperwhite. No internet and shorter battery life but can be read in the dark. I agree that the library feature is rather long winded as I have probably 40 pages of books!!
Not just in the dark, but anywhere that's not very well lit, such as most pubs. An un-illuminated e-ink screen in dim lighting is difficult. You often don't need a lot of light, just enough to bring the contrast up to what real paper would give.

40 pages isn't very many, mine's on 187, and it would be quite a lot more if things like the Complete Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle came as multiple entries rather than one. It's a good thing you don't have to swipe through the lot :)
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:29pm
Last tip is to link to the Project Gutenberg page wherein can be found a treasure-trove of free copyright-free books.
Oooh: thanks, very, very, interesting and useful.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

andrew_s wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 1:18am
iandusud wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 8:08am Thanks for the helpful reply. So would you say that if it's just for reading that it would be a good option?
It's fine for reading what would be general paperback fiction. As I said, it's images & diagrams that will be noticeably worse, and, I suppose, possibly the very smallest fonts.
I actually use a Paperwhite, bought at a time when the basic Kindle didn't have a front light, which I regard as being important.

One other difference that I forgot is that the basic kindle has a slightly recessed screen, whilst the front paperwhite is completely flush.

I always use a standard kindle flip case, mostly for screen protection, but the on/off function is also handy. Fancy 3rd party cases can add substantial extra size, enough to make the kindle non-pocketable.

One point to note is "special offers". If you pay £10 less, the kindle screen shows what are basically adverts when it's not in use, and Amazon being what it is, these will be tailored to your normal reading, advertising your reading habits to all and sundry. I gather that it is possible to pay the £10 at a later date and get the special offers screen turned off if you find it annoying.
You are correct about special offers but the discount on Amazon at present is more than the £10 needed to remove the adverts (if you do wish). Doesn’t bother me on the front screen.

However, if adverts popped up while reading that would drive me crazy and vitiate the whole point of reading which is a relaxing, immersive, focused, time. Thankfully, the adverts don’t do that and don’t copy web sites with their annoying pop ups.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

As Open Street Map is stored as data layers and you can adjust the stylesheet that renders the map to suit, I wonder if someone has made a Kindle-specific stylesheet, or if one could be made.

Perhaps the route books that a site like cycle.travel make could have the option of a Kindle specific output (A5 rather than A4 and using a Kindle stylesheet)

For example, something like http://maps.stamen.com/toner/#12/37.7706/-122.3782
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

st599_uk wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 10:13am As Open Street Map is stored as data layers and you can adjust the stylesheet that renders the map to suit, I wonder if someone has made a Kindle-specific stylesheet, or if one could be made.

Perhaps the route books that a site like cycle.travel make could have the option of a Kindle specific output (A5 rather than A4 and using a Kindle stylesheet)

For example, something like http://maps.stamen.com/toner/#12/37.7706/-122.3782
I was deliberately cautious unthread about my attempts to show maps on Kindles. It would be great if someone could explore better solutions.

Jonathan
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

markjohnobrien wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 6:51amthe discount on Amazon at present is more than the £10 needed to remove the adverts (if you do wish).
The without ads version is also discounted, so the difference is still £10 (as has been the case with all other discounted kindle prices I've looked at)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Back in the late '70s I worked as a motorcycle despatch rider and our reference of choice was the redoubtable Geographer's London A-Z, which anyone over 50 will recall was a printed A5-ish indexed street gazeteer, the point being it was, back then, black & white. It worked fine.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

simonineaston wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:50am Back in the late '70s I worked as a motorcycle despatch rider and our reference of choice was the redoubtable Geographer's London A-Z, which anyone over 50 will recall was a printed A5-ish indexed street gazeteer, the point being it was, back then, black & white. It worked fine.
In the words of Maurice Chevalier, I remember it well. :)