King Alfred's Way - route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

King Alfred's Way - route

Post by mnichols »

Just read a teaser about this on a Cycling UK Facebook Post. Does anyone have anymore information?

The post says "Coming in the summer of 2020 is our newest route from our off-road team, it's a 220 mile circular loop around historic Wessex, through Salisbury, Winchester and Stonehenge"

This would be on my doorstep, so keen to know more
gaz

Re: King Alfred's Way

Post by gaz »

Zulu Eleven of this parish is probably the person to ask.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mnichols wrote:Just read a teaser about this on a Cycling UK Facebook Post. Does anyone have anymore information?

The post says "Coming in the summer of 2020 is our newest route from our off-road team, it's a 220 mile circular loop around historic Wessex, through Salisbury, Winchester and Stonehenge"

Goes via several bakeries checking how burnt the cakes are.
John
rjb

Post by rjb »

You won't find any burnt cakes or scones in Athelney as the roads under water. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

mnichols wrote:Just read a teaser about this on a Cycling UK Facebook Post. Does anyone have anymore information?

Ahoy-hoy

What can I tell you?

I'm obviously cautious about how much of the detail we reveal publicly at the moment... we will be taking this to formal consultation with local access fora etc. very soon, but yes, I can confirm that we are working on a multi-day route in the South of England that will be doable either in one go or as a series of shorter trips (and that ties in well with public transport opportunities too)

What I can promise you is that this takes in some of the most spectacular landscapes, spanning more than five thousand years of history, and will hopefully link together with a number of other opportunities and long-distance trails in order to promote enjoyment of the countryside and rural tourism.

Does that sound like the type of thing you were looking for?

If would you be interested in test riding some of the sections? I'd be happy to work with you on the possibility.
Si

Post by Si »

When we say "off-road" are we talking more mtb/gravel than traffic free cycle path? Am very much looking forward to seeing more about this! Keep meaning to do the ridgeway but would rather do a big circular thing round Wessex. If you need late spring test riders, let me know!

five thousand years of history,
<pedant>: that'd be two thousand years of history, the rest is pre-history. :twisted: </pedant>
rjb

Post by rjb »

Don't know if this is the route but it appears to miss out a large chunk of Alfred's History. No Somerset where the Ilse of Athelney is located and the place where he burnt the cakes, or nearby where the priceless Alfred jewel was found. :(

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/e1 ... 27b2722057

A lost opportunity to explore a very cycle friendly area. :(
Last edited by rjb on 2 Jan 2020, 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:

Goes via several bakeries checking how burnt the cakes are.

good news for us Danes/Vikings from DaneLaw to go on a circular rampage tour
Last edited by mercalia on 2 Jan 2020, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Zulu Eleven wrote:

Ahoy-hoy

What can I tell you?

I'm obviously cautious about how much of the detail we reveal publicly at the moment... we will be taking this to formal consultation with local access fora etc. very soon, but yes, I can confirm that we are working on a multi-day route in the South of England that will be doable either in one go or as a series of shorter trips (and that ties in well with public transport opportunities too)

What I can promise you is that this takes in some of the most spectacular landscapes, spanning more than five thousand years of history, and will hopefully link together with a number of other opportunities and long-distance trails in order to promote enjoyment of the countryside and rural tourism.

If would you be interested in test riding some of the sections? I'd be happy to work with you on the possibility.

will it be for ordinary non racing bikes or just mt bikes?
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

If it helps we’re being absolutely clear that the ‘off-road’ aspect of our work and focus of these routes is, like the Great North Trail, aimed at rough-stuff & MTB, both in the connections with rural tourism & reconnects people with nature of landscape. So predominantly this is on unsurfaced routes. As a general rule there’s nothing on this route that would be unachievable on a gravel or cross bike, though seasonal differences may well make an MTB the most viable option in places.
Last edited by Zulu Eleven on 18 Jan 2020, 8:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

rjb wrote:Don't know if this is the route but it appears to miss out a large chunk of Alfred's History. No Somerset where the Ilse of Athelney is located and the place where he burnt the cakes, or nearby where the priceless Alfred jewel was found. :(

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/e1 ... 27b2722057

A lost opportunity to explore a very cycle friendly area. :(

One step at a time
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Zulu Eleven wrote:

Ahoy-hoy

What can I tell you?

I'm a gravel rider rather mtb, but keen to know more. I live in the heart of Alfred Country.

So as a keen touring cyclist I'm keen to know more and help if I can.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

mjr

Post by mjr »

Zulu Eleven wrote:As a general rule there’s nothing on this route that would be be achievable on a gravel or cross bike, [...]

Given the latest update, should this have said "unachievable"? And never mind these modern gravel and cross things ;) - are they rideable on touring bikes and roadsters?

I see the Icknield Way and Peddars Way are labelled as potential future routes but I think they both already have accompanying cycle trails, at least the bits in East Anglia.

I'm a bit worried that CUK resources are going on gravel routes which would be more beneficial completing tarmac cycle-touring routes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

Zulu Eleven wrote:A few more details for you all:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/kingalfredswa ... Wh_f3cmQNQ

If you've not seen it take a look at the Chalke Way by John Stuart Clark, he'd already connected and documented the Peddars,Icknield & Ridgeway to give a coast to coast cycle route from Weymouth to Holme-next-the-Sea.

viewtopic.php?t=56439