Tarka Trail - can you cycle on all of it?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Grumpyoldbiker

Tarka Trail - can you cycle on all of it?

Post by Grumpyoldbiker »

Hi

I'm going to Lynmouth later this month, and I will probably take my mountain bike with me.

I am looking at doing a few day and half day tours.

I have the Exmoor OS Explorer and I note that some parts of the Tarka Trail are just footpaths, whereas all the information online seems to suggest you can cycle it all?

Can anybody confirm what the status of the Tarka Trail is around Lynmouth?

Sorry if this information is already on here somewhere I have searched a bit through the forums but couldn't find an answer to this.

Thanks

Peter
rjb

Re: Tarka Trail - can you cycle on all of it?

Post by rjb »

I would start here. https://www.tarkatrail.org.uk/ :wink:
You will need some tiny gears BTW.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our daughter lives in Bideford, and I've often considered cycling the Tarka Line from where it starts and getting off in Bideford.
The Tarka carries on to Barnstaple, so I could do that and get the train back from there via Exeter and Plymouth.

I could cycle to the start in Meeth.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85176 ... 384!8i8192

It's the old railway station.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85176 ... 384!8i8192

As for the OP question, I have no idea, but the Tarka line is a cycle track all the way to Barnstaple following all of the old rail-bed.
The southern bit near Meeth is on paths, not rail-bed.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Biddeford Barnstable
Biddeford Barnstable
Hi,
I've done Meeth to Barnstable several times, I think always on my touring bike.
I think they've improved it a bit from Meeth on wards.

I did Biddeford Barnstable on my road bike 23 mil tires, With luggage.

You certainly don't need a mountain bike.
But if you're coming out of Lynmouth, Which I've been up and down on my touring bike, you're going to need a 20 inch gear probably.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
From Lynmouth Ilfracombe Woolacombe Barnstable.
Pleasant ride, but it's mostly lanes without a lot of things to look at.
Offset this by just getting an ice cream every time you come in to a coastal part.
The worst bit of that is Woolacombe where are you go through the car park which is very long bumpy potholes and rocks with lots of gravel.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

The Tarka Trail cycle path is from Braunton to Barnstaple and then on to Meeth via Instow, Bideford (East the Water)Torrington and East Yarde on the old track bed. There is also the old railway section from the top of Ilfracombe to Willingcott above Woolacombe with lanes connecting and alternative routes along Marine Drive from Woolacombe to Putsborough. There’s a steady gradient up from Bideford to East Yarde. It’s tarmac, some really nice, some awful (at Landcross) and then crushed stone from above Torrington to where it branches off to Petrockstowe. I prefer the Torrington/Petrockstowe bit as it’s more scenic and I’ve spent 14 years commuting on the estuary bit. It is quiet in winter, but can be manic on a sunny weekend, be patient slow down and use a bell.
The Tarka Trail long distance path is a different beast, all sorts of lanes, hills, bridlepaths and footpaths. I’m not really sure why it has the same name but I’m yet to read the book.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 May 2021, 8:26pm Hi,
From Lynmouth Ilfracombe Woolacombe Barnstable.

Pleasant ride, but it's mostly lanes without a lot of things to look at.

Offset this by just getting an ice cream every time you come in to a coastal part.
Sounds perfect, but........
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

griggsy wrote: 1 May 2021, 10:49pm The Tarka Trail cycle path is from Braunton to Barnstaple and then on to Meeth via Instow, Bideford (East the Water)Torrington and East Yarde on the old track bed. There is also the old railway section from the top of Ilfracombe to Willingcott above Woolacombe with lanes connecting and alternative routes along Marine Drive from Woolacombe to Putsborough. There’s a steady gradient up from Bideford to East Yarde. It’s tarmac, some really nice, some awful (at Landcross) and then crushed stone from above Torrington to where it branches off to Petrockstowe. I prefer the Torrington/Petrockstowe bit as it’s more scenic and I’ve spent 14 years commuting on the estuary bit. It is quiet in winter, but can be manic on a sunny weekend, be patient slow down and use a bell.
The Tarka Trail long distance path is a different beast, all sorts of lanes, hills, bridlepaths and footpaths. I’m not really sure why it has the same name but I’m yet to read the book.
Seems to me, to be the usual mess designed by various people not joined up! Sustrans I guess? Rubbish as is usual.
I think it far easier and more enjoyable regarding the views, to cycle by road!
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

leftpoole wrote: 24 May 2021, 10:16am
Seems to me, to be the usual mess designed by various people not joined up! Sustrans I guess? Rubbish as is usual.
I think it far easier and more enjoyable regarding the views, to cycle by road!
A bit unfair. SUSTRANS didn’t really come of age until 1995. The Traka trail was established in 1987. The fact that sustrans put it on their network is because it is a recognised route, Devon County Council, National Trust and various local organisations developed the rest of the trail as a walking trail with certain sections cyclable. From what I understand, there was never an intention for it all to be a cycle path.

Anyone trying to develop a route and change the designation of paths used will face a lot of planning issues. The walking routes use footpaths. Bikes can’t use them. To change the designation would cost money and would, no doubt, raise the ire of that lovely group known as the Ramblers Association (and dog walkers/locals who don’t want bikes ‘speeding’ along the path).

Where no rights of way exist, permission has to be sought from landowners. This can be very troublesome. Often stretches of the old railway line (which make up much of the Tarka Trail for cyclists) have been sold with old trackside property and now constitute part of their land, gardens and even driveways. Seeking permission will again be protracted and expensive. Thus decisions are made to put something in place, sometimes as an interim but often as a best fit.

Stick to the roads if you prefer, I often do, but don’t knock those who have worked hard to create something that thousands actually do enjoy every year.
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

Whilst there are always bits that need improving, either from a design or maintenance point of view I don’t think it’s a mess at all. Its very scenic (I think) almost continuously joined up, pretty safe for kids and novices, goes past cafes, pubs and bike shops and takes you out into some really nice countryside. It would be great if it could continue on the trackbed north of Braunton but most of that land is in private ownership now.
It gets used well for commuting as well as leisure, it’s biggest problem is how busy it can get sometimes but that’s a positive I would say. I’ve been on a few similar trails around the country and I think it compares pretty well overall.
My dream railbed cycle path would be from Barnstaple to Dulverton, the North Devon end is under tarmac and houses but you can still see bits of the line as you go across the bottom of Exmoor.