Luxe Hex peak V4A

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hoppy58

Luxe Hex peak V4A

Post by hoppy58 »

I recently bought a luxe hexpeak v4a hiking shelter from backpackinglight.com. and this is a mini review, so far!

You can buy it as an outer only, or outer and solo inner, or with a double inner. Lots of options there then. It’s a single pole pyramid, utilising a hiking pole or a specific telescopic luxe pole.

I found bikepackinglight.com really helpful and they provided me with excellent service.

Quality seems very good for the price, not up there with the top brands but very tidily made and materials seem good.

Erecting the tent takes a few attempts to get a nice pitch, but once you get the hang of it, the outer goes up in minutes. Getting the 4 main corners square and the pole at the right height is key. The inner is a bit more fiddly and I found myself changing the tie outs to shock-cording and it sets up nicely now. I also changed the guy-cording from 2mm to 3mm, which grip the line locks much better. (All of these changes are well documented on the internet eg on trek-lite.com)

Weight wise the basic set up, outer, luxe solo inner and the pole, is about 1750g, cost about £220.00...but you can use a lanshan inner instead of the standard luxe inner and save 300g.

I’ve tried it out in the garden in wind and rain and it’s very, very solid. You are advised to seam seal it, though I haven’t done this yet. Some people say it doesn’t need it, whilst others recommend just sealing the top, where the seams are at most strain.

I bought a standard lanshan 1 ground sheet from Ali express (£15), which I use in the front part of the tent. Internal space is good and I found the inner very spacious, but I’m only 5’8”! Loads of headroom and space to spread out, especially if you drop the inner, by unclipping the top hook. Good ventilation top and bottom (including 2-way door zips).

It packs down very small and will easily fit in panniers or bar rolls etc.

This probably isn’t for you if you want a no-fuss, conventional tent, but if you are a tent-tinkerer, up for a challenge, then I think this is very versatile and gives loads of pitching options, solo, outer only, double and it is very, very sturdy.

I can’t wait to test it in the wild in the coming months.
Attachments
03CDBD2A-54BB-4BB9-910C-5D6A4E4B4BF4.jpeg
F2E6520E-363A-4C96-AA3F-97D2A59D06F7.jpeg
FB966A60-0363-4B94-8971-00DBE5C6E7A5.jpeg