Bikepacking in Cornwall - West Kernow Way

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
cycle tramp

Bikepacking in Cornwall - West Kernow Way

Post by cycle tramp »

https://bikepacking.com/news/cycling-uk ... -cornwall/

Apologies if the link as been listed elsewhere
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Jdsk

Re: Bike parking in Cornwall

Post by Jdsk »

You might like to amend the Subject...

: - )

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bike parking in Cornwall

Post by Mick F »

Jdsk wrote: 3 May 2021, 12:51pm You might like to amend the Subject...
Thanks, just done.
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Re: Bikepacking in Cornwall

Post by horizon »

I'm a bit under-whelmed by this, as with the King Alfred's Way. I don't want to knock what might be a very pleasurable prospect for some but my guess is that it isn't really a 155 mile way. What it might be is a series of shorter rides (one day) doable on MTBs and accessed by car.

The reason I say this is that to do the whole way (and that is a nice idea) requires a multi-day trip, which requires luggage, which for some requires racks, which requires at least half-reasonable surfaces and finally, at the end of each day, requires access to accommodation or (and this might not be officially intended) wild camping.

That isn't to say that it cannot be done (and I'm sure some hardy souls will do it). But I reckon it will be more done as a roof-rack exercise. I think that's a shame as the idea (AIUI) is to leave the car at home and travel to Cornwall by bike (having checked with GWR first :lol:).

My "complaint" therefore is that while from a PR POV it sounds great, in reality we 're back in Range Rover festooned with the kids' MTBs territory. We used to have (and still have apparently) a road network, linking villages and towns. In Cornwall there are bags of minor roads suitable for well-loaded touring bikes. The new route is unlikely to attract those people because of the problems of accommodation and track surface. So what is trumpeted as a long distance route is in fact a chimera: it won't be and cannot be used as a long distance multi-day holiday route.

I'm going to read up some more to see if I'm being unfair but my initial impression of the KAW was exactly that. I had actively been considering doing the KAW with a relative but drew a blank for the reasons above so the issues are very real for me.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

horizon wrote: 3 May 2021, 3:27pm
I'm a bit under-whelmed by this, as with the King Alfred's Way.
Having spent some time with Sustrans building bike paths, I tend to like to see the track surface of which I am about to ride over. Looking at some of King Alfred's Way, that doesn't appear to be possible as some of the route requires you to ride through long grass.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
horizon

Post by horizon »

Yes, I read that some chalk parts of the KAW might be impassable after rain. I think that's OK for a bit of MTB'ing on a day ride - it's fun and challenging. But if you are running late, it's raining, it's getting dark and your accommodation is some miles off it might be different. I'm trying to get a sense of what it is meant to be about and who it is meant to be for; after all there is nothing wrong with crossing mountain ranges but you do need to know what you are letting yourself in for.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

New route in Cornwall

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
simonineaston

Re: New route in Cornwall

Post by simonineaston »

I remember Sustran's West Country Way rather fondly - me & chums followed it back in the late '90s. One fellow turned up fully loaded, complete with about three different types of cheese, three pairs of boots and not one but two, large bottles of shower gel - his bike weighed a ton!
Thus I am tempted by the idea of any traffic-free route that involves Cornwall :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Re: New route in Cornwall

Post by PH »

See also
topics merged by moderator
mjr

Re: Bikepacking in Cornwall - West Kernow Way

Post by mjr »

From link in first post: "Over the next two years Cycling UK intends to launch routes in Norfolk and Kent. The charity is already working with the hospitality and accommodation sectors in these three counties to provide businesses with free equipment and advice as part of its Cycle Friendly Places initiative."

1. Three counties???

2. I wonder if CUK will bother to contact any of the cycling campaigns in those areas who actually ride the trails, or if they will simply believe the "Norfolk Trails" department of the county council who claim flooded, boggy and sandpit trails are good cycling.

3. Unsigned routes are not real routes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... which includes Cornwall, Norfolk and Kent.

Over the next two years Cycling UK intends to launch routes in Norfolk and Kent. The charity is already working with the hospitality and accommodation sectors in these three counties ...
Poor layout, but the meaning seems clear.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

horizon wrote: 3 May 2021, 3:27pm ...... The new route is unlikely to attract those people because of the problems of accommodation and track surface. So what is trumpeted as a long distance route is in fact a chimera: it won't be and cannot be used as a long distance multi-day holiday route.
The exact route is yet to be published, but I think I'd agree here.
What puzzles me though, about this and the other CUK long-distance routes, is any connection with Sustrans - are these being done with Sustrans' help, or without - maybe CUK doesn't 'get on with' Sustrans? It seems odd that the two organisations are separately promoting cycle routes. I'd be interested if someone can point me to any previous discussion on this topic.
Chris F, Cornwall
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

These are off-road "adventure" routes which aren't really Sustrans' remit. The Cathedrals Cycle Route, which is on roads and quiet paths (previously discussed), does appear to have been done in conjunction with Sustrans.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
horizon

Post by horizon »

Coincidentally I did a cathedrals route last summer, taking in Lincoln, Peterborough, Ely and St Albans. I also checked in separately at Salisbury and Exeter and in another tour earlier in the summer, Tours (if you'll excuse the pun) and Rouen.

I'm not that obsessed with them but they do make good route markers. And they do have good roads in between! They are also to be found in the centre of interesting towns, along with nice cafes, souvenir shops, railway stations and accommodation (though I was camping). So, yes, a cathedrals tour is a good one.

That still leaves the question of the sort of route (but you have a choice) and where to stay (and you have a choice).

But ...
Most cyclists will be tempted by the cathedral-to-cathedral day trips, with almost all destinations benefiting from train services allowing point to point journeys.
So even they admit that the idea of a long distance route is a bit of a fantasy but nevertheless. Why it works though is that cathedrals are already part of well established system of travel, accommodation, roads, paths and services. Whether that was by luck or judgement I'm not so sure.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Not luck!

Cathedrals had an enormous influence on travel, economics and cultural transfer.

And we have a thread on routes of pilgrimage.

: - )

Jonathan