Opening a GPX of CTC page

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Opening a GPX of CTC page

Post by Steve X »

I have found this route https://www.cyclinguk.org/route/ccr-41- ... dral-route and have downloaded the GPX.
Opened Garmin Connect >Training>Courses>Import

and dragged the Download in, and get this message. "An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.". Obviously I am doing something wrong, can anyone suggest what this is.

I was not sure which forum to post this in, but as this maybe our first panniers and tent trip, I put in Touring.
Jdsk

Re: Opening a GPX of CTC page

Post by Jdsk »

Opens OK for me in RouteBuddy.

I suggest starting with whether the download worked...

What device are you working on?

What's the filename and size of the downloaded file?

Jonathan
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thank you.

It is “balanced_order-41-day39-day40-bla-car.gpx”.

and

304 KB
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Identical here... just examining it in Router and can't see a problem. Screen shot below.

What device are you working on?

Jonathan

Screenshot 2021-05-04 at 09.29.56.png
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Mac Book.

Maybe I need to update or something.

TBH, I am a bit disappointed in the CTCs description of the route, it says Terrain

The published CCR route takes mostly paved surfaces suitable for all skill levels and makes use of existing trails where possible.

and suitable for any bike.

But having zoomed in and there is no way a road bike is going over the Gatesgarth Pass unless its on your shoulder.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I suggest trying Router, as above. My guess is that will work fine as it did for me, so you will then know that the problem probably isn't the downloaded file.

What version of macOS and Garmin Connect?

And how are you running Garmin Connect? Is that as an iOS app on an M1 MacBook in Big Sur?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 4 May 2021, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Got to go now, but will try Router and let you know how it goes.

A thing I want to see is the route profile so I can avoid hills.
andy74

Post by andy74 »

I find the easiest wsy to import gpx files into Garmin connect is to use the mobile app. Download the file to a mobile device and then open the file using connect you can then save it. I have just done it on my phone and it worked fine
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

andy74 wrote: 4 May 2021, 10:02am I find the easiest wsy to import gpx files into Garmin connect is to use the mobile app. Download the file to a mobile device and then open the file using connect you can then save it. I have just done it on my phone and it worked fine
Thank you, that worked no problem.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Steve X wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:40am Mac Book.

Maybe I need to update or something.

TBH, I am a bit disappointed in the CTCs description of the route, it says Terrain

The published CCR route takes mostly paved surfaces suitable for all skill levels and makes use of existing trails where possible.

and suitable for any bike.

But having zoomed in and there is no way a road bike is going over the Gatesgarth Pass unless its on your shoulder.
Yes it does seem to be somewhat misdescribed or at least needs flagging up as challenging off road for that ~6 mile section, especially as it is part of a 107 mile route. Putting the unpaved section into cycle.travel suggests gradients in excess of 20% (max 27.9% quoted!).

The A6 out of Kendal isn't that busy (or wasn't last time I went that way). If you head up the A6 to Shap then bear off to Bampton Grange the rout has a significantly lower maximum altitude & gentler gradients, plus it is all on tarmac.It is about the same distance too, within a fraction of a mile.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Steve X wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:40am But having zoomed in and there is no way a road bike is going over the Gatesgarth Pass unless its on your shoulder.
The GPX route doesn't go over Gatescarth Pass proper (to Haweswater), but goes over to Mosedale & Swindale Head, which would be the least rideable option out of the end of Longseddale.

Gatescarth Pass is reasonable gravel land rover track all the way to Haweswater, with the impact of the problems of being slow & bumpy, and steep, depending on tyre size and gearing.

The GPX route is about a mile and a half of pushing between leaving the Gatescarth track in Brownhowe Bottom and Mosedale Cottage. The access to Mosedale Cottage is green land rover track down to Wet Sleddale reservoir (probably rideable on an unladen mountain bike, but not on a laden tourer). The GPX uses a path that would also be mostly walking the bike down for another mile and a half to Swindale Head.