Tyres for touring cycle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Tyres for touring cycle

Post by willem jongman »

Of course it is, but once this was the fashion. This was in an age when you could still tour on main roads with a smooth surface. But even the 23mm was narrow.
Last edited by willem jongman on 8 May 2021, 12:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:12pm Am I the only one who is wondering about 23’s being narrow for touring?
Yes but if someone wants to tour on 700x23 it’s up to them.

We all know the arguments on why larger tyres are better but the OP is constrained by the bike: nothing bigger can be fitted.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

In case anyone doesn't know.... Schwalbe publish external tyre measurements for extra wide tyres as well as rim/tyre compatibility:
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse
and select "Will the tire fit into my frame?".

Is anything similar published for their other tyres?

Jonathan

Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I remember really narrow tyres and touring on them.
My hand built tourer has 28mm tyres fitted now but I used to tour on 25mm.
Never had an issue.
But I think that the roads are in a worse state now, hence why I use 28s
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Forgot to say I use schwalbe delta cruiser 700x28 now.
Can't fault them.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Is the OP constrained by his bike in terms of width? I can’t see that (might have missed it). I’m not criticising if it is personal choice but thinking a wider tyre would allow for more choice.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Already stated he doesn’t have room: please read the OP’s information in the thread -

“My touring bike is a road bike that was made for me in 1978 and designed for 700 x 23 tyres, a very common size at the time. Anything larger won't fit”

Clear and to the point.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 8 May 2021, 2:41pm Already stated he doesn’t have room: please read the OP’s information in the thread -

“My touring bike is a road bike that was made for me in 1978 and designed for 700 x 23 tyres, a very common size at the time. Anything larger won't fit”

Clear and to the point.
That’s me told. Blimey.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 8 May 2021, 5:08pm
markjohnobrien wrote: 8 May 2021, 2:41pm Already stated he doesn’t have room: please read the OP’s information in the thread -

Clear and to the point.
That’s me told. Blimey.
Sorry, I was only offering information.
Halla

Post by Halla »

There are some Durano Pluses for sale on the SPA website if the OP wants to stock up now.

Not sure how good they are but Continental Gatorskins seem to be a similar type of tyre.

Andy
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:12pm Am I the only one who is wondering about 23’s being narrow for touring?
No you are not!!

I use Gatorskins in sizes 28-32 and have done for many years. I have recently fitted Grand Prix 28mm to a recent as yet unridden build.
Schwalbe Marathon are very tough no matter what size (in my opinion from previous use).
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 8 May 2021, 5:08pm

Clear and to the point.
That’s me told. Blimey.
In which case the bicycle in question is not as we know it-a Touring bike. It is a bicycle which is used by the OP as a bicycle to tour on! A clear difference.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

+1 for the Supremes!

Mike
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I'm not suggesting them as better but just curious how the tyres suggested would compare to the Continental Touring plus tyres with the extra thick puncture protection. Are those just too heavy in comparison? Are the tyres suggested basically lightweight tyres that feature better puncture protection than the norm for performance tyres and the heavier longer lasting tyres aren't desired for touring? I only mention that as some of the tyres suggested are still quite lightweight tyres. Tyres that seem to be designed to offer better puncture protection despite being lightweight. Just wondered if they are the best tyres if you weren't bothered about weight but just wanted the most hard wearing tyre even if heavy.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Really hard wearing tyres like in extremis the Marathon Plus are crude and spoil the feel of a nice lightweight frame. Fortunately even fairly light weight and flexible tyres do not puncture that often and fitting a new tube does not take that much time. In this case the narrow width precludes any off road use, so the only issue is debris on the tarmac. This depends on the country. Swiss roads are clean, and mostly also Dutch ones. Italy is different, but at times so is the UK. I can only report that in many years of urban use I have not yet ever punctured the 32 mm Pasela Protite on my town bike.