Tyres for touring cycle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Tyres for touring cycle

Post by bobzeller »

I would very much appreciate some advise. For three or four years, I have been using Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres (700x23) on my touring bike. I really like them because of the puncture resistance. I might be having to deal with a touch more rolling resistance, but not having to repair punctures more than sets that off.

However, I was recently told that they are being phased out by the manufacturer. Does anyone know if that is indeed the case? And, if so, are there any recommendations for other brands. I tour mostly on paved roads with just the occassional stretches of non-paved sections.

I would be grateful for any advice given.

Cheers

Bob
Jdsk

Re: Tyres for touring cycle

Post by Jdsk »

Can't see anything suggesting that on the Schwalbe site:
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/durano-plus

We use Schwalbe Marathon Plus on our tourers, mostly because of the puncture resistance:
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/marathon-plus

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are a very popular tyres for touring and general use. I've been using them for a few years now. They roll well, are lightweight, long lasting and for me, very puncture proof.

Only problem is that as they are folding, the sidewalks are thin. Not suitable if riding anywhere near rocks, etc.

Availability in UK is limited in your size, but available from Germany - see this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145692
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Likewise Marathon Plus.

Used Marathon GreenGuard for a couple of years (until they wore out). Some were saying about the Plus being worse rolling resistance and heavier but after being very used to the GreenGuards, I couldn't tell any difference when I switched to Marathon Plus.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I was unable to get Marathon in sufficient time last year when I needed new tyres so I downgraded to Schwalbe Delta and have been very pleased.
John
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Thanks to all for the advice. Lots of good suggestions. I'll do some more homework.

Cheers

Bob
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

How much clearance do you have? Is this for a (semi) road bike? How much luggage do you take? I would always opt for the widest tyre possible, but you may be limited in what you can do.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

simonhill wrote: 7 May 2021, 4:45pm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are a very popular tyres for touring and general use. I've been using them for a few years now. They roll well, are lightweight, long lasting and for me, very puncture proof.

Only problem is that as they are folding, the sidewalks are thin. Not suitable if riding anywhere near rocks, etc.

Availability in UK is limited in your size, but available from Germany - see this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145692

+1; I love Supremes for all of the above reasons and they are very comfortable.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

i don't think the Marathons would fit. Even the treadless Duranos have just enough clearance. I do like Marathons and have used them on my shopping bike for years. My touring bike is a road bike that was made for me in 1978 and designed for 700 x 23 tyres, a very common size at the time. Anything larger won't fit. When touring (always using hotels and B&Bs), I use Arkel T28 panniers on the rear and a bar bag. The combination of tyres, bike and touring luggage works really well. I am not off road too much so being treadless isn't a problem. The only problem might be the lack of availability of Schwalbe Durano Pluses and that was why I was asking for suggestions. But if I am the only one who has heard that the Duranos are being discontinued, then the problem might be incorrect information. Nothing else.

Many thanks again for everyones replies.

Bob
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

I use Marathon Greenguard on my touring bike, find them pretty much the same as M+. Given dire state of our roads I wouldn't want to ride on anything much lighter.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

I started riding on Continental Gatorksins when I lived and cycled in Asia because they were the only tyres that seemed to be able to deal with the debris. It wasn't glass so much, but tiny pieces of wire that were left by dangerously worn HGV tyres. Wide as you like (700x32c) sitting on some MTB rims for extra indestructability.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

In that size and forvthat purpose I would choose the Panaracer Pasela. I use the 32 mm Protite (with antipuncture layer) on my townbike in a student city with a fair bit of debris and in manybyears I have not had a single puncture. The are flexible and fast. For extra protection, speed and comfort you may want to investigate the new (and sadly expensive) Aerothan inner tyres. I am not sure if they exist in a size this narrow.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

bobzeller wrote: 7 May 2021, 4:30pm I would very much appreciate some advise. For three or four years, I have been using Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres (700x23) on my touring bike. I really like them because of the puncture resistance. I might be having to deal with a touch more rolling resistance, but not having to repair punctures more than sets that off.

However, I was recently told that they are being phased out by the manufacturer. Does anyone know if that is indeed the case? And, if so, are there any recommendations for other brands. I tour mostly on paved roads with just the occassional stretches of non-paved sections.

I would be grateful for any advice given.

Cheers

Bob
I’ve got a brand new, still in box, Durano Plus tyre, 700 x 23, if you are interested, pm me.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 7 May 2021, 4:45pm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are a very popular tyres for touring and general use. I've been using them for a few years now. They roll well, are lightweight, long lasting and for me, very puncture proof.

Good point about the sidewalls - thanks for raising - I did a ride a while ago across salter fell on some pretty new vittoria tyres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eShvtqAYrhw

on a bike and then later had to ride from the north west to crewe to get a train back to london.

When I got back I found a cut in the sidewall that the tube was popping through.

Which explains the odd feeling I had had on the front tyre as I rode the 60 miles or so for the train. Count myself lucky that the thing didn't blow on the way to the train - I can only think that a sharp bit of rock on the fell cut it.

Those vittorias are comfortable and I think they owe a fair bit of this to that flexible sidewall.

edit - on reading further on in the thread I see that the OP doesn't really ride off-road - but will let my post stand.
Sweep
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Am I the only one who is wondering about 23’s being narrow for touring?