Tyres for touring cycle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
m-gineering

Re: Tyres for touring cycle

Post by m-gineering »

willem jongman wrote: 12 May 2021, 8:44amIn this case the narrow width precludes any off road use, so the only issue is debris on the tarmac.
You forgot snakebites... Which means you have to pump the tyres really hard, and with a Plus tyre the reduced airvolume makes them even worse.

If you're really into touring and are attached to the frame I would fit taller brakes and 650B rims with 32-ish tyres, but I'm fully aware that some people will be perfectly happy with the wrong tool for the job and make it work for them. ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Marathon Supremes are light, very comfortable, v good in rolling resistance tests, and have excellent puncture protection for their weight: they can transform a bike.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

But minimum size is 32 mm.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yes, he can only fit 23s. The post title should be Touring Tyres for Road Bike.

Nonetheless Supremes do appear to be popular.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I see Panracer Pasela Tour Guard are still available in 700 x 23 (at SJS) aren't these a popular 'go to' touring tyre ?
Nu-Fogey
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The ProTite is the successor to the Tourguard with alledgedly better protection. How much better I don't know. Both were/are fine with me on my town bike. In my experience they are very good tyres for fast and light touring.
borisface

Post by borisface »

Used to be a big fan of schwalbe marathons, but recently, I have had 3 from different batches with beads that have simply peeled away forcing the tyre from the rim and rendering the tyres useless. They have been different sizes and purchased at different times. All have done less than 500 miles, 2 of them less than 50, one of them the tyre simply blew off the rim whilst the bike was in the garage because the bead detached. This is potentially incredibly dangerous (ie. life threatening) as it could have happened whilst I was cycling. I have contacted schwalbe's customer services several times who have not even bothered to respond. If they can't be bothered with customer service, I will simply never buy schwalbe tyres again. And based on my experience, I suggest everybody do the same.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Schwalbe have been very communicative and helpful in the Netherlands.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

borisface wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:48am Used to be a big fan of schwalbe marathons, but recently, I have had 3 from different batches with beads that have simply peeled away forcing the tyre from the rim and rendering the tyres useless. They have been different sizes and purchased at different times. All have done less than 500 miles, 2 of them less than 50, one of them the tyre simply blew off the rim whilst the bike was in the garage because the bead detached. This is potentially incredibly dangerous (ie. life threatening) as it could have happened whilst I was cycling. I have contacted schwalbe's customer services several times who have not even bothered to respond. If they can't be bothered with customer service, I will simply never buy schwalbe tyres again. And based on my experience, I suggest everybody do the same.
I use Schwalbe tyres, on multiple bikes, and have never had a problem.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

markjohnobrien wrote: 14 May 2021, 7:16pm
borisface wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:48am Used to be a big fan of schwalbe marathons, but recently, I have had 3 from different batches with beads that have simply peeled away forcing the tyre from the rim and rendering the tyres useless.
Anything Marathon is a bugger to fit, and you will spend ages trying to sort out the hops and bumps. They don't fall apart though in my experience. This is more a failure I see with poorly adjusted brakeblocks, or a rim with too sharp edges. Did the tyres come with a barcode label on the inside?
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
djb

Post by djb »

bobzeller wrote: 8 May 2021, 7:01am i don't think the Marathons would fit. Even the treadless Duranos have just enough clearance. I do like Marathons and have used them on my shopping bike for years. My touring bike is a road bike that was made for me in 1978 and designed for 700 x 23 tyres, a very common size at the time. Anything larger won't fit. When touring (always using hotels and B&Bs), I use Arkel T28 panniers on the rear and a bar bag. The combination of tyres, bike and touring luggage works really well. I am not off road too much so being treadless isn't a problem. The only problem might be the lack of availability of Schwalbe Durano Pluses and that was why I was asking for suggestions. But if I am the only one who has heard that the Duranos are being discontinued, then the problem might be incorrect information. Nothing else.

Many thanks again for everyones replies.

Bob
morning Bob,
Some views from a Canadian here a bit younger than you, but not by a huge amount.
I get that your bike has its limitations of tire width, but if you ever do consider getting a different bike, as we get older the ride feel and really no speed difference from even slightly wider tires that are still nice riding tires, is very much appreciated, so perhaps one day take this into consideration for a new bike.
I've toured a lot on 28 slicks in the past, but with a lot more baggage than you carry, so it probably evens out to a ride feel experience.
One big difference is the road quality that you folks over in the UK , or riding in France or whatever, experience vs us in Canada--it always struck me the huge improvement in road conditions--really comes down to climate (here its -35c to +35c so hard on roads), so I do realize that you have a different reality from us.

It's interesting how over the decades I've really abandoned the "narrower is faster" thing, and ride and tour on all kinds of bikes with varying widths of tires.
The last bunch of years I've become a real fan of Schwalbe Supremes also, like at least one other person here, and can attest to how nice a ride feel they have due to the flexible sidewall (again, appreciated as I get older and older) yet in my touring experience still have very very good flat protection and wear life.
I have one tire on my heavier touring bike that must be getting close to 10,000kms on it, and as been on my bike through many many countries and all kinds of riding conditions and surfaces, with hardly any flats (a couple of weird ones, but actually none while on a tour).

anyway, just a blurb to perhaps consider wider at some point, it may "feel" slow, especially to a longtime 23 buzz guy, but you'd be surprised by the payoff of comfort--but I realize you would really have to experience it first hand to really believe it.
cheers