tour from Elgin, Grantown on Spey to Dunfermline then back via the east coast NC

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beeb

tour from Elgin, Grantown on Spey to Dunfermline then back via the east coast NC

Post by beeb »

Planning a cycle tour from Elgin to Grantown on Spey, then Aviemore south to Pitlochry, Perth, Dunfermline, likely in June or early July

We have done this bit before on a longer tour to the south of France, however we are then going to pick up the NCN1 to follow the east coast back to Elgin.

Where we can we will use reasonable price campsites, however many are not looking like they will open, or have minimum stays or 3 or seven nights and some are only going to open to self contained units, so I am after advice for anyone who may have travelled these routes and discovered decent overnight stops for a wild camp.

We would need some access to water, have filters etc

any advice and suggestions for good spots gratefully received

safe cycling

thanks

beeb
keithg

Re: tour from Elgin, Grantown on Spey to Dunfermline then back via the east coast NC

Post by keithg »

Really from Grantown to Pitlochry and probably south to Dunkeld, you’d have no bother finding spots beside the rivers that NCN7 follows.
Make sure you have some food, then find a spot by the Spey, Garry, Tummel or Tay. They all have plenty of quiet spots away from houses which you should be able to find without too much trouble, don’t light an open fire and leave no trace. It’s worth being discreet and out of plain view, there’s a stooshie locally about “dirty campers” but if you arrive late and leave early, you’re unlikely to be spotted and legally responsible wild camping is fine.
beeb

Re: tour from Elgin, Grantown on Spey to Dunfermline then back via the east coast NC

Post by beeb »

Yes, thanks. We know the stretch down to Dunfermline very well and are comfortable with that. It is heading up the east coast especially round Stonehaven. They have camping, but at £25 for a quick overnight, I don't think so. They have only space for 3 tents as well. Any local knowledge?
L+1

Post by L+1 »

I’m not sure if you are already based in Scotland - but a word of warning about travel into Moray.
Currently Covid 19 cases are rising through Moray and particularly in Elgin. Very much against the national picture. The source or route of transmission within the community is not yet identified but the vaccination programme is being accelerated to younger adults than the rest of Scotland, to try to curb spread.

It’s likely that Moray won’t proceed to Scottish level 2 on May 17th(?). There are concerns about spread to neighbouring parts of Aberdeenshire and Highland regions.
Hopefully things will have stabilised by July but travel in June might still be restricted.
I’m sorry I can’t give any specific recommendations about camping around Stonehaven. I would think that outwith the town the surrounds are sufficiently rural that you would be fine for one night, so long as you were out of sight of anyone’s home.
No cycling on the AWPR of course. And traffic coming on and off onto the minor roads is often still travelling very fast.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

You could stay in a Travelodge or Premier in Aberdeen for £25-£30 per night if you book now. They allow bikes in rooms. It might be a pleasant change if you are unlucky with the weather.
beeb

Post by beeb »

we are based just outside Elgin and fully aware of the covid situation.

We are hopeful that the measures now being taken will begin to take effect.

We are sufficently flexible to wait for good weather, can't really stand hotels tbh.

Current plan is something like Elgin- Turiff- Banchory- Montrose- Scone- Dunkeld( very short day)- Newtonmore(hopefully speybridge campsite if it opens in June)-Grantown on Spey- Elgin

Thanks for suggestions
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

beeb wrote: 9 May 2021, 12:12pm we are based just outside Elgin and fully aware of the covid situation.

We are hopeful that the measures now being taken will begin to take effect.

We are sufficently flexible to wait for good weather, can't really stand hotels tbh.

Current plan is something like Elgin- Turiff- Banchory- Montrose- Scone- Dunkeld( very short day)- Newtonmore(hopefully speybridge campsite if it opens in June)-Grantown on Spey- Elgin

Thanks for suggestions
Still not good for Moray.
What are your plans now?

I'm in Inverurie and plan a trip to Ullapool via Portsoy, Inverness and Achnasheen.
Hope I can cross Moray via Findhorn.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
beeb

Post by beeb »

think Moray level dropping quickly, so probably down to level 2 by next week