Peak District (Youlgreave) what decent bike routes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pal

Re: Peak District (Youlgreave) what decent bike routes?

Post by pal »

As others have said, you really can’t go too wrong round that bit of the world - esp with an e-bike to take the sting out of the hills! But in case you still need ideas, there are some good suggestions for medium-length rides on the Peak Park website, several of which could be tweaked to include Youlgreave. https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visitin ... orerslider

If you do end up on the Tissington/High Peak trails (and the time is right...), then it’s worth keeping going for a couple more miles north, after the cycle hub at Parsley Hay, to Hurdlow: the Royal Oak is an excellent pub, imo, and very cycle friendly.
nesty

Post by nesty »

OK many thanks for that, I am always more interested if a pub involved enroute! :lol:
sjs

Post by sjs »

nesty wrote: 9 May 2021, 8:07pm OK many thanks for that, I am always more interested if a pub involved enroute! :lol:
In that case the Old Gate at Brassington, close to the High Peak Trail, is well worth a visit.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

PH wrote: 8 May 2021, 8:04pm .....
Chatsworth grounds, preferably early morning before it's busy, you might include a ride up to Grindleford Station cafe.
All the tracks are OK on most bikes, there's plenty of them! You might want to check if the tunnels on the Monsal trail are open, there was an issue with falling rocks.
I stayed at the campsite in Youlgreave a couple of weeks ago, Agree that it's a great base for cycling. Can confirm that the tunnels on the Monsal trail were all open, but Chatsworth was closed to cyclists - maybe it will change on May 17th (when pubs etc open properly) but you need to check it.
Chris F, Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Again off the top of the Tissington trail, The Quiet Woman at Earl Sterndale is reputed to be very good and with the bonus of an interesting pub sign. The Old Forge at Monyash is an excellent cafe on the village green - eating in Tideswell otoh can be quite pricey as both cost and menu is aimed at London folk.

Carsington resr is pretty good for riding and amenities to the south and the Tor Cafe at the A6 lights at Cromford, south of Matlock Bath is great value for money.

How long did you say you are up for? After living on the edge of the Peaks for 40 years i can still find new roads, tracks, attractions, cafes so anything less than a lifetime is never going to be long enough.

Oh and Matlock Bath - avoid at weekends if you can, its full of motor scooters and very busy. :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nesty

Post by nesty »

Many thanks for that info all.
I will try to check out those pubs!
I do plan Matlock Bath, but for the in week.
I am only up for a week. In truth I'll probably will return at some point again, this is a scratch the surface visit.
Naturally less rain the better, as that may hamper some getting to places, all in all looking forward to it and should arrive Saturday!
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

foxyrider wrote: 9 May 2021, 8:39pm Again off the top of the Tissington trail, The Quiet Woman at Earl Sterndale is reputed to be very good and with the bonus of an interesting pub sign.
The Quiet Woman used to be a very odd pub, not been for five years or so though. But it is on the doorstep of the amazing Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill, resting place of England's last sleeping dragon.
ChromeHill_0059_4000 x 6000_export.jpg
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

speedsixdave wrote: 9 May 2021, 9:14pm
foxyrider wrote: 9 May 2021, 8:39pm Again off the top of the Tissington trail, The Quiet Woman at Earl Sterndale is reputed to be very good and with the bonus of an interesting pub sign.
The Quiet Woman used to be a very odd pub, not been for five years or so though. But it is on the doorstep of the amazing Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill, resting place of England's last sleeping dragon.
ChromeHill_0059_4000 x 6000_export.jpg
Wonderful photo.

The minor road between Chrome Hill and Parkside is well worth riding and has the bonus of finishing just a mile or so from the excellent cafe at Flash Bar.

Tough terrain from Youlgreave though.
20200514_185025.jpg
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Thanks RoubaixTuesday. You have to get up very early on a winter morning to catch the dragon napping, but I've been a bit obsessed since I first saw it a good few years ago!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
drossall

Post by drossall »

speedsixdave wrote: 8 May 2021, 10:27pmFinally another unique experience is to ride the old collapsed Mam Tor road up from Castleton. About 20 years ago it was definitely rideable - just - but I've only walked it since.
I've probably mentioned here previously that, when I started cycling as a teenager, that road was in the process of falling off the hill for the last time, but still open. Actually I think it was closed temporarily on the occasion I'm thinking of - they were trying to shore it up with railways sleepers and things. We rode down and my mate nearly took his chainset off when we bumped down over one of the steps that had appeared in the road. He got blown over a sleeper by the high winds, as well. Years later, my kids were going to the area from Hertfordshire on geography field trips, to see what nature had done to the road that I remembered riding.

One or 2 B roads across the Peaks can get busy with quarry lorries. They are the main roads in the area.

Did someone mention the railway tunnels that have been opened up for cyclists, around Miller's Dale, leading on to the Monsal Head viaduct?

Tissington village is worth exploring. Plenty of cafes. On a camp several years back, we rode the trail and one of our Scouts showed us the olde worlde sweet shop in the back streets of the village. Or follow the trail all the way down into Ashbourne and explore that town.
nesty

Post by nesty »

Hi Drossall

Many thanks for that Tissington village sounds good.
Whereabouts you in Herts then, I am down the south near Watford.
drossall

Post by drossall »

North Herts, couple of miles from Bedfordshire.
nesty

Post by nesty »

drossall wrote: 10 May 2021, 7:18pm North Herts, couple of miles from Bedfordshire.
Nice, think some decent rides around there?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes very much so. North-west to the Bedfordshire plain or north-east into Cambridgeshire. South-west into the Chilterns. East is quiet, rolling roads towards Essex. All good riding.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Longnor is worth a visit. There’s a nice cobbled market place with a good cafe (Cobbles) and outside seating. It can be reached from the south by following one of the minor roads from Hartington. Beware though that there’s a very steep hill (20%) at Crowdicote, on your way back to Youlgrave. Longnor can also be approached from the north but involves climbing another steep hill from Glutton Bridge.

Youlgrave is also well placed for the Tissington and High Peak trails, and a bit further away, the Monsal Trail and the Manifold Trail. All old railway lines.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com