Peak District (Youlgreave) what decent bike routes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nesty

Peak District (Youlgreave) what decent bike routes?

Post by nesty »

Hi All

I am going for a week break in Youlgreave, Peak District, never been to this area before, so doing some research for some bike trails.

I have a OS Map and gather the high peak trail and the Monsal trail are the 2 main trails near Youlgreave.

I am looking to cycle to Matlock Bath, from Youlgreave, but probably have to be a road trip, as can't see other off road trails.

Any other decent routes anyone can suggest to take on my break?

Thanks
PH

Re: Peak District (Youlgreave) what decent bike routes?

Post by PH »

You are absolutely spoilt for choice, pick any of the minor roads and you'll be rewarded with some magnificent riding.
Couple of must do's for me would be:
The Hope valley, including a go at Winnats Pass if you have the legs for it.
Chatsworth grounds, preferably early morning before it's busy, you might include a ride up to Grindleford Station cafe.
Tideswell, where the church is known as the Cathedral of the Peaks
Hartington and any (Preferably all) the roads up to Earl Sterndale, you could carry on to Buxton
There's also a stone circle, Arbour Low, that's worth a visit for the views, it's a quid in the honesty tin for the farmer rather than the Stonehenge tat.
On a weekend the Via Gellia (A5012) from Newhaven to Cromford is a fantastic downhill valley and Cromford is worth a visit, it's less fun on a weekday due to the quarry lorries.
For Matlock, there's a newish track from Rowsley which is a decent surface and goes alongside some heritage railway. Don't be put off the A6, it isn't a great ride but if you need to get anywhere it's often the easiest and is fine to cycle on.
All the tracks are OK on most bikes, there's plenty of them! You might want to check if the tunnels on the Monsal trail are open, there was an issue with falling rocks.
That ought to be a start, though you could ignore it all and still have some great rides. IMO, it's the best cycling in England, there's nowhere else with this choice and so few people.
nesty

Post by nesty »

Hi PH

Many thanks for this very informative, sounds like some great things in there.
The Winnats Pass, looks interesting, my bike is a e-bike, so it enables me to do things like that (I haven't got the energy for things like that in natural form)! I'll look into that track via Rowsley, information like this really helpful, I saw it on the OS, but couldn't tell if it was a bike or pure walking route. My e-bike is heavy, something, like stiles I can't lift it over, so routes have to be planned.
I have never been to Chatsworth house, so that looks interesting.
OK about the A6, I don't know much about that, I don't like riding on A roads, but if needs must then could be the quickest route back to the accommodation after a day out.
I do think on this trip, I'll only be scratching the surface for another return, as so much to do, but many thanks for the info!
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

An e-bike will make your life easier on the back roads, it can get a bit lumpy in Derbyshire!

Between Rowsley and Chatsworth there is the little village of Beeley. If you turn right at the Devonshire Arms in Beeley there is a fantastic long climb up to the lovely Beeley Moor. Once you're up it's pretty flat and very attractive if you like heather moorland. If you are less thrilled by climbing you could take the shorter but steeper climb up to the moor from Rowsley (up Rowsley Bar), then left at the top and come back down the long descent in Beeley, then up to Chatsworth. It's a brilliant road up or down, I can't recommend it enough.

But as PH says you can't go too far wrong really, especially if you have hill assistance. Bakewell, Ashbourne and Wirksworth are nice towns, Matlock Bath is mad and worth a ride through, Cromford, Hartington, Rowsley, Pilsley and Winster are good villages. Arbor Low unique and worth a look although a small walk across a field to the last bit. Chatsworth Farm Shop in Pilsley great for picnic food but pricey. Tissington Trail is the third major off-tarmac trail which would take you down to Ashbourne.

Finally another unique experience is to ride the old collapsed Mam Tor road up from Castleton. About 20 years ago it was definitely rideable - just - but I've only walked it since. You could do up that and then down the famous Winnats Pass back into Castleton, or vice-versa. Or carry on over Mam Nick and do another brilliant descent down into Edale, then back round the Vale of Edale into the Hope Valley again. Too much choice! As PH says the A6 is rideable and popular with club cyclists, a good artery but not much fun, but I'd stay off the A515 unless you're desperate.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
nesty

Post by nesty »

Hi Speedsix Dave

Many thanks for the information, seems like there is really loads to do! I am hoping the weather holds out ok, naturally prefer no rain! I know some frown upon the e-bikes, but I have to say really got me back into cycling again, (which it's all about), hills I really struggled with and now I can explore places without the fear of exhaustion.

Beeley Moor and that way via chatsworth sounds quite good! I like anything country village with a pub enroute is fine by me!
I googled street view, The Devonshire Arms, Beeley, is the road of the climb Chesterfield road? It looks a nice ride up that hill, with great views, that ticks the boxes!

I did 10 days in Kinder Scout area in 2017, that was nice, but walking quite challenging over 10 days straight (and weather brutal), now I want something more bikey with villages and pubs etc.

It's speaking to people like yourself and PH where you can get all the info and can now mark the places to visit!

Many thanks
sjs

Post by sjs »

Any of the places already mentioned. I've always had a soft spot also for the area south of Youlgreave, and especially the area around the Manifold and Dove rivers If it's lanes and villages you want that area contains Alstonefield, Wetton, Grindon, Butterton and many others, some of which still contain great pubs, as well as the Manifold and Tissington trails. In that area there's also a really nice downhill ridge ride from Morridge down to Waterfall, along the boundary of the National Park. Oh and if you're new to the area Thor's Cave, just off the Manifold Trail, is worth a visit.
nesty

Post by nesty »

Hi Sjs
Many thanks
Yes, I like a bit of quaint village with pub, what I love about my ebike, I can cover good ground and if there is a pub, then a stop for a pint and some food, then so be it!

Googled manifold valley & Thors cave, omg these things are so up my street!

Many Thanks
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

nesty wrote: 8 May 2021, 10:45pm
Beeley Moor and that way via chatsworth sounds quite good! I like anything country village with a pub enroute is fine by me!
I googled street view, The Devonshire Arms, Beeley, is the road of the climb Chesterfield road? It looks a nice ride up that hill, with great views, that ticks the boxes!
Yep, Chesterfield Road from Beeley. Although most of the roads heading east from the A6 are called Chesterfield Road so you have to be careful! Devonshire Arms is/was a good but quite pricey pub but who knows after the pandemic? If you're hungry Caudwell's Mill in Rowsley has a good cafe. I like your riding style, it's all about good roads, pretty villages and relaxed pub stops for me too.

Am rather envious of the e-bike - there are days when you know the better route is 'over those three hills' but you're knackered already so go for the more boring flat noisy route. Success in cycle touring is measured in miles enjoyed, not miles endured.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
nesty

Post by nesty »

ok thanks, that cafe sounds good.

It looks a decent climb up that hill, though have to say that is the beauty of the e-bike, I can do that without paying the price the next day, I used to have a decent Boardman MTB about 10 years ago, but I decided last year before lockdown to get back into riding again, I knew that hill issue had to be addressed & e-bike sorts that and helps me explore more, it certainly helped me through the pandemic.

I am really looking forward to the trip!
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

nesty wrote: 9 May 2021, 11:18am ok thanks, that cafe sounds good.

It looks a decent climb up that hill, though have to say that is the beauty of the e-bike, I can do that without paying the price the next day, I used to have a decent Boardman MTB about 10 years ago, but I decided last year before lockdown to get back into riding again, I knew that hill issue had to be addressed & e-bike sorts that and helps me explore more, it certainly helped me through the pandemic.

The ebike will be perfect for flattening out some of those steep Derbyshire hills, and even on the Tissington Trail there's some very long nagging gradients, although the views are superb.

Lots of quiet green lanes too, definitely recommend getting the OS 1:25000 scale map for the White Peak for route planning and also out and about for showing all the very interesting archaeological and historical sites in the area to explore.

A lovely part of the world, hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith
nesty

Post by nesty »

Traction_man wrote: 9 May 2021, 3:12pm
nesty wrote: 9 May 2021, 11:18am ok thanks, that cafe sounds good.

The ebike will be perfect for flattening out some of those steep Derbyshire hills, and even on the Tissington Trail there's some very long nagging gradients, although the views are superb.

Lots of quiet green lanes too, definitely recommend getting the OS 1:25000 scale map for the White Peak for route planning and also out and about for showing all the very interesting archaeological and historical sites in the area to explore.

A lovely part of the world, hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith
Hi Keith
Many thanks. I have the OS map OL24 The Peak District (white peak Area), is that the one? It does fold out rather large, but as you say quite detailed.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Great yes that's the one, it used to be double sided too I think. I've worn one out copy through use over the years, it eventually fell apart! I like this scale as it shows all the field boundaries and so gives a better sense of the lie of the land. I used to search out the many old lead mines in the area using the large scale OS map. The lead mining museum in Matlock is worth a visit. My favourite ride though is along the Manifold valley.

All the best,

Keith
nesty

Post by nesty »

Traction_man wrote: 9 May 2021, 4:00pm Great yes that's the one, it used to be double sided too I think. I've worn one out copy through use over the years, it eventually fell apart! I like this scale as it shows all the field boundaries and so gives a better sense of the lie of the land. I used to search out the many old lead mines in the area using the large scale OS map. The lead mining museum in Matlock is worth a visit. My favourite ride though is along the Manifold valley.

All the best,

Keith
Thanks yeah double sided, very informative map, just on the bike have to memorize certain points, that I am going into the correct direction, I think I'll be map consulting a bit.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Excellent suggestions above which it's hard to add much to.

Bradford Dale just below Youlgreave is an idyllic spot and has a small dam for swimming, which we enjoyed a couple of weeks ago.

Ideal after a day on the bike!
20210424_132814.jpg
nesty

Post by nesty »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 9 May 2021, 4:25pm Excellent suggestions above which it's hard to add much to.

Bradford Dale just below Youlgreave is an idyllic spot and has a small dam for swimming, which we enjoyed a couple of weeks ago.

Ideal after a day on the bike!

20210424_132814.jpg
Thanks, actually, those brown houses in the background, that's near enough where I am staying!