Aerodynamics in Cycle Touring - If You Care

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Aerodynamics in Cycle Touring - If You Care

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 24 May 2021, 5:42pm I didn't know that was how the Sprinters came about. My experience was with GWR but it was a few years ago now.
Sorry if I misled but it's not how all Sprinters came about! Most of the Sprinters were built as they are as 2 or 3 coach units, based on the design of BR Mark 3 carriages (same as the 125 set coaches), but 35 of them got cut up to make 1 coach units, resulting in the narrower doorways at one end. It's some of the GWR ones which have been sent to ScotRail.

I read some of the history because these were frequently inflicted on us in Somerset and it was a bit baffling how anyone thought such a bike-hostile design was a good thing for Bristol: and the answer is they didn't, with these sawn-off trains originally intended for rural branch lines in the midlands and north.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Thanks for the explanation. It's not going to be long till we need a "train facts" board! :lol:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Blondie wrote: 24 May 2021, 6:15pm
Psamathe wrote: 14 May 2021, 1:54pm The baggy clothes (5% slower) is a surprise
Ian
I’ve noticed when switching from winter cold weather kit to shorts and snug t shirt that my average speed climbs between 1-2km/h. This year with cold / hot days alternating in same week I’ve been able to observe the effect whilst my fitness has clearly been the same.

It’s definitely a thing.
When Jan Heine did experiments into the aerodynamics of luggage, he found that a (wide) saddlebag was more draggy than a bar bag (which I think is contradicted in this latest research) and also that flappy clothing was more draggy than even panniers. I think anyone who's cycled with jacket open will believe this.