Avenue verte

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
coastman

Avenue verte

Post by coastman »

Has anyone got any thoughts on which direction to do the Avenue verte.
Dieppe to Paris or Paris to Dieppe. TIA.
wirral_cyclist

Re: Avenue verte

Post by wirral_cyclist »

No one ever seems to do Paris - Dieppe, it always seems to be Dieppe - Paris, so most of the guides start from the UK end - in the UK(English) info sources at least.
In general reversing a route often doesn't work easily as the initial departure (Dieppe ferry arrival) time at the start won't relate to the finish time for a straight reversal unless the ride is exactly the right timing, and it's fine say going to Paris with lots of trains/planes (BITD at least) than it is rocking up at Dieppe for a ferry, so consequently most 'endings' are usually well before the 'transport time' to allow for losing time on the route, and specifically a nightmare on the final day (DAMHIKT).
It might also be the case that more accommodation exists in the traditional direction than in the reverse too if the likely daily mileage from a fixed start time (ferry) doesn't equate to a fairly random (train/plane) at the other end.
LEJoG was much easier to plan than a JoGLE would be, but on those grounds a LEJoGLE makes more sense :shock:
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

I rode a lot of it on my way home from Germany a few years back, the finish into Dieppe was very pleasant, I plan to go back and ride it again with my daughter.
PH

Post by PH »

I haven't done it, but think wirral_cyclist has it right.
I find heading towards a destination always preferable to heading towards home, even if the logistics are more complicated.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry to disagree, but I found it easier the other way. Prearrange transport to far destination from the comfort of your home. Cycle back at own pace towards ferry port. On arrival book next ferry (usually no problem) then train (or cycle) home from UK port. Having to spend a few hours in Dieppe doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

I've done this a couple of times recently. Flew out to Basel and Bordeaux, cycled back with no idea when I would arrive. No pressure.

Also any packaging needed for flight or train out is sourced at leisure at home.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

There are two options from Gournay-en-Bray - when I did it a couple of years ago I did the eastern loop out and the western loop back. This worked fine except the description in the guidebook was back to front for part of the return half!
Both directions are good, I'd find it hard to choose between them. The best campsites are in the Normandy section - it was trickier to get good ones in Ile-de-France.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin