UK Traffic light travel scheme in Europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
francovendee

Re: UK Traffic light travel scheme in Europe

Post by francovendee »

PaulaT wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:16am Anyone who believes the India variant isn't in the EU is living in cloud cuckoo land. With the the exception of Denmark, genomic sequencing over there is pretty low-level so they don't really know what variants are circulating. Even so it's been detected in Germany and Denmark. It'll also be spreading silently at a low level in other EU countries. Given their inadequate vaccination levels and that they're opening up against a background of still quite high covid levels, it's odds on that there'll be another wave over there.
Correct, it's already in mainland Europe and and Portugal now on the green list will not help matters.
We saw how quickly the Kent/UK variant established itself here. The last figure I saw it represented 76% of all new cases in France.
Vaccination is way behind the excellent figures for the UK but now vaccines are now more available it is rapidly getting better.

You can't keep new variants out but you can take measures to slow their speed of distribution.

Unless a stop on mass travel between countries and until the world has been vaccinated, this and other future variants will spread.
I know this is impossible but something I'd welcome. :(
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 18 May 2021, 7:51amUnless a stop on mass travel between countries and until the world has been vaccinated, this and other future variants will spread.
I know this is impossible but something I'd welcome.
Independent SAGE: "Six point plan for dealing with the B.1.617.2 variant":
https://www.independentsage.org/six-poi ... 2-variant/

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

This is from the German government site (I am posting the German version because the English version of the text is less complete):
Vereinigtes Königreich Großbritannien und Nordirland inkl. der Isle of Man sowie aller Kanalinseln und aller britischen Überseegebiete gilt nun als Risikogebiet.

Hinweis: Die Einstufung erfolgt trotz einer 7-Tagesinzidenz von unter 50/100.000 Einwohner/innen aufgrund des zumindest eingeschränkten Vorkommens der Varianten B.1.617.2 im Vereinigten Königreich. Die Variante B.1.617.2 (zuerst in Indien nachgewiesen) wurde von der WHO mittlerweile als besorgniserregend eingestuft („Variant of Concern“) Bei der Einstufung von Risikogebieten werden regelmäßig, neben den Inzidenzwerten, auch qualitative Kriterien berücksichtigt.

What it means is that even though the infection rate is low, the incidence of the Indian variant makes the UK a risk area. For this reason, vaccination apparently does not absolve you from the obligation to quarantine, but for the UK this is not quite clear from the document.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

willem jongman wrote: 18 May 2021, 8:44am What it means is that even though the infection rate is low, the incidence of the Indian variant makes the UK a risk area. For this reason, vaccination apparently does not absolve you from the obligation to quarantine, but for the UK this is not quite clear from the document.
I'm not sure that that is correct, but would like someone who is better at German than me to check. From the Robert-Koch Institute page, there are 3 categories listed Virusvarianten-Gebiete (Virus Variant), Hochinzidenzgebiete (High Incidence) and Risikogebiete (Risk). The UK is listed in the 3rd.

Then the following: Impf- und Genesenennachweise können einen negativen Testnachweis ersetzen und von der Einreisequarantäne befreien. Dies gilt jeweils nicht bei Voraufenthalt in einem Virusvariantengebiet.

Which I read as something along the lines of Vaccination (Impf-) and proof of recovery negate the need for negative tests and travel quarantine. This does not apply if you've been in a Virusvarianten-Gebiete area.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

You understood it very well. The lack of clarity is about the status of the UK. It is now an at risk country, but the important thing is that this is because of the spread of the Indian variant. Does this already make the UK a Virusvarianten Gebiet? If it is, there would be no exception from the quarantine rule, not even for those vaccinated. I tried hard to find further detail, but could not find it.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

willem jongman wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:00pm You understood it very well. The lack of clarity is about the status of the UK. It is now an at risk country, but the important thing is that this is because of the spread of the Indian variant. Does this already make the UK a Virusvarianten Gebiet? If it is, there would be no exception from the quarantine rule, not even for those vaccinated. I tried hard to find further detail, but could not find it.
In the full document on the Robert Koch Institute website, the UK is definitely in the Risk category (added last week) but not in the Virusvarienten category. https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/N ... e_neu.html
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Sure, I read that. The problem is that the reason for this risk classification is in the existence of virus mutations. My German is perfectly fine, but the text is unclear to me about the implications.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2021, 8:29am
francovendee wrote: 18 May 2021, 7:51amUnless a stop on mass travel between countries and until the world has been vaccinated, this and other future variants will spread.
I know this is impossible but something I'd welcome.
Independent SAGE: "Six point plan for dealing with the B.1.617.2 variant":
https://www.independentsage.org/six-poi ... 2-variant/

Jonathan
Independent Sage have a track record of being very wrong. They jumped up and down claiming that the lockdown measures introduced over the New Year would be insufficient to deal with the Kent variant. They were proven wrong. They then claimed that re-opening schools would cause a huge spike in infections. They were proven wrong.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you got a source for each of those, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

st599_uk wrote: 18 May 2021, 2:54pm
willem jongman wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:00pm You understood it very well. The lack of clarity is about the status of the UK. It is now an at risk country, but the important thing is that this is because of the spread of the Indian variant. Does this already make the UK a Virusvarianten Gebiet? If it is, there would be no exception from the quarantine rule, not even for those vaccinated. I tried hard to find further detail, but could not find it.
In the full document on the Robert Koch Institute website, the UK is definitely in the Risk category (added last week) but not in the Virusvarienten category. https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/N ... e_neu.html
UK Added to Virusvarianten Gebiet from tomorrow. Makes this academic, unfortunately.
A novice learning...
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Indeed.