Caen (France) Ferry to Railway Station

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RonSnape01

Caen (France) Ferry to Railway Station

Post by RonSnape01 »

I am having difficulty finding a cycle route from Ouistreham (the port
for Caen in Normandy) to Caen Railway station, for the Semaine Fédérale
this year (Valognes). Any suggestions?

Do buses or taxis in France normally carry bicycles?
pq

Re: Caen (France) Ferry to Railway Station

Post by pq »

You just ride alongside the canal from the port into the town.
One link to your website is enough. G
mjr

Post by mjr »

pq wrote: 17 May 2021, 12:05pm You just ride alongside the canal from the port into the town.
Yes, shown on https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/4 ... 6&layers=Y as the V43. A cycleway appears to cross the port exit at traffic lights and turning left onto it would point you towards Caen, taking you 16km including passing Pegasus Bridge.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I tried this in reverse in 2019. Went totally the wrong way leaving the station!

In hindsight I think starting at the port would be very easy. Stations often have multiple exits, and there are plenty of roads out of town to choose from - it's a bit like walking up mountains; the hard part is spotting which of the many paths off the summit is the right one!

The canal- side was very peaceful, and Pegasus bridge is a nice monument, not trop touristique ;-)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I went https://psamathe.net/ouistreham-to-falaise/#route_map - that is from ferry port to Falaise but passes pretty close to the station. Also, that is an actual GPS recorded track not a creation from route planners.

Ian
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The only time I got lost in my 2019 bike tour of France was trying to follow the route through Caen! I think I ended up at the station when I didn't really mean to - so maybe worth making sure you have a mapping app on your phone in case the same happens to you. But that aside, the Ouistreham—Caen route is incredibly easy, flat, and mostly traffic-free.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The port and then Caen are well connected by GR 36 which is a long-distance walking route of the Grande Randonnée network in France. Be careful, mind, 'cos if you don't notice Caen, it goes all the way to The Pyrenees!!
GR 36 in lilac, immediately west of canal
GR 36 in lilac, immediately west of canal
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I took it from Caen in 2019. It was difficult to find because they were doing major redevelopment and road building near it's start and maps didn't always make sense. We're only talking about inconvenience rather than Kms out of my way.

Hopefully that is finished now and it should be easier.

It's worth having a look on Google maps satellite view to get an overall picture.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

RonSnape01 wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:03am I am having difficulty finding a cycle route from Ouistreham (the port
for Caen in Normandy) to Caen Railway station, for the Semaine Fédérale
this year (Valognes). Any suggestions?

Do buses or taxis in France normally carry bicycles?
Easy 15km ride along the west bank of the canal will take you all the way from the port into the centre of Caen. Train station is just south of the centre. Good smooth surface on the cycle track along the side of the canal. I always enjoy the ride.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you have access to Google maps - search a route from Ouistreham to Caen Station, using the bike symbol. It shows the route. At the end you go onto roads with a dogs leg to get over the railway tracks. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ouist ... 763185!3e1

As I said before you can use satellite to see more detail and even street view to 'ride' the road bit of the route. I see that there is a narrow cycle path on the road and you go through a multi road junction near the station with lots of bike symbols on the road. Should be fun.

Beware the trams. I think it was the construction of these that had me all over the place when I was there in 2019.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Is the Semaine definitely on this year.?
At the moment with France on the amber list I'm not sure that early August will be practicable.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Could we have a new thread for this? Anyway, apparently they're still being optimistic:
News of 05/10/2021: Following the announcements of the President of the Republic on Thursday, April 29, 2021, the members of COSFIC are more and more confident about the holding of the Federal Week of Valognes in 2021. We will have to adapt to the directives that will be issued and we will implement the various requests. These guidelines are not yet known, but we know that we can count on you to respect them.

Your main question concerns the "Pass-sanitary", for the moment we do not know if it will be required but we are already planning the installation of a device allowing to carry out PCR tests in number during the federal week. .
https://www.valognes-sf2021.com/
jimt

Post by jimt »

On exit from ferry port just keep canal on your immediate left and follow towpath (GR36) to marina in centre of Caen , from there its about 3/4 mile to station, see attached map. Station is near green cross.
Attachments
Caen Centre.jpg
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wonder if RonSnape01 (the OP) has seen any of this?