Cathedrals Cycle Route challenge

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Cathedrals Cycle Route challenge

Post by Jdsk »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 10:52pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 5:44pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 5:35pmThe RC Cathedrals are all brick because of their relative modernity.
Liverpool Metropolitan is an admirable Modernist attempt.

"We've got one to spare"Image
Known locally as Paddy's (Paddies?) Wigwam...
Yes. That's widely used in press commentary etc.. but have you ever heard anyone local use it in common parlance?

And of course it's a misnomer... it resembles a tepee, not a wigwam.

Jonathan

Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Norwich is, of course, Anglican.

https://www.cathedral.org.uk/
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 3:40pm Norwich is, of course, Anglican.

Norwich's stone Catholic Cathedral is on the hill the other side of the city centre to the famously tall-spired Anglian Cathedral, at the eastern tip of the "Golden Triangle" student quarter (junction of B1108 and A147). www.sjbcathedral.org.uk https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/97370578#layers=Y

The central synagogue stands across the road north of it, while a URC chapel is next to it on the south side. The central mosque looks at it across Chapelfield Gardens. It's almost like the non-Anglican venues have clustered together, although the Quakers are in the oldest part of the city, Elm Hill.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 4:21pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 3:40pm Norwich is, of course, Anglican.

Norwich's stone Catholic Cathedral is on the hill the other side of the city centre to the famously tall-spired Anglian Cathedral, at the eastern tip of the "Golden Triangle" student quarter (junction of B1108 and A147). www.sjbcathedral.org.uk https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/97370578#layers=Y

The central synagogue stands across the road north of it, while a URC chapel is next to it on the south side. The central mosque looks at it across Chapelfield Gardens. It's almost like the non-Anglican venues have clustered together, although the Quakers are in the oldest part of the city, Elm Hill.
I should have said the Norwich in the challenge.

Perhaps most, but not all RC Cathedrals are brick. Newcastle’s is also stone
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 23 Jun 2021, 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think Arundel is also stone. With a few concrete ones, I suspect only half the Catholic cathedrals are brick.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Norwich's stone Catholic Cathedral is on the hill the other side of the city centre
My wife's grandfather used to take the pigeons eggs from the bell tower. I was an altar boy there for a few years. There used to be a convent: 'Little Sisters of the Poor', opposite until the useless Norwich council razed it for the ring road.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mattheus wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 4:19pm
NUKe wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 3:36pm I notice the list is Anglican cathedrals and misses the 21 Catholic ones
Well it is our state religion. :P

(it also omits synagogues, revered football grounds, and oh, Wales+Scotland!

This is how themes work, you have to narrow down the itinerary in some way.

Maybe the 21 Catholic ones would be a good alternative? I have no idea where most of them are!
I really should have added a smiley after the comment, it was tongue in cheek.
:lol:
NUKe

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 12:08pm
wirral_cyclist wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 10:52pm
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 5:44pm
Liverpool Metropolitan is an admirable Modernist attempt.

Known locally as Paddy's (Paddies?) Wigwam...
Yes. That's widely used in press commentary etc.. but have you ever heard anyone local use it in common parlance?

And of course it's a misnomer... it resembles a tepee, not a wigwam.

Jonathan

Yes it is used, usually shortened as in "up by the 'wigwam" or "up by paddies" the other cathedral being "the big/old one" so directions can be "up between the wigwam and the big/old one".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Going to study the possible cycling route.
Say 2100miles at say 70miles a day will take 30days without taking a day off or seeing the sights.

The planning of using a vehicle to get through the longer distances will take me a while to work out the plusses and minuses.

One plus is that it'll take me two days to get Truro to Exeter, then two days to Wells and Bristol, let alone from Blackburn to Carlisle, and then a day to Newcastle. Lots of cycling without a cathedral in sight ........ so transport sounds good.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Did my first three on Thu - Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham. Could have made it four with my home cathedral in Derby, but I'll save that for another day. Made the mistake of booking the train home, for a bargain £4.55, there wasn't such a cheap ticket the other way, but I should have paid the extra couple of quid, got the train to Brum and ridden home so I wasn't clock watching. I would have preferred another hour in Coventry, the only one of the three I hadn't been to before, though it's only down the road so maybe another time.
The plan for next week is - Newcastle, Durham, Ripon, York, Sheffield, over three days.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent work! :D

How are you getting to Newcastle?
Train?

Roughly .........
Newcastle/Durham = 17miles
Durham/York = 77miles
York/Ripon = 28miles

Then you have Bradford and Wakefield to do before Sheffield .......... or that's the way I see it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:25am Excellent work! :D

Train?

Roughly .........
Durham/York = 77miles
York/Ripon = 28miles

Then you have Bradford and Wakefield to do before Sheffield .......... or that's the way I see it.
I would do Durham/Ripon/York.
John
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Mick F wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:25am Excellent work! :D

Train?

Roughly .........
Durham/York = 77miles
York/Ripon = 28miles

The RC Cathedral is directly opposite the station in Newcastle, the other one is smaller and a bit more hidden behind some bars. The area around the station is interesting with the world's first electrically lit street, the Lit and Phil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_ ... _upon_Tyne), the NE Miners Institute (https://mininginstitute.org.uk/) all worth a look.
The Central Station is no longer in the city centre - that's migrated North. You should be able to see a large Monument to Earl Grey in the distance, that area's worth a look too.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:43am I would do Durham/Ripon/York.
Ok, seems OK.
Why?

Then do Bradford/Wakefield/Sheffield?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bradford Cathedral illustrates a point I've tried to make. It's a historic site of worship but the exterior now is largely the result of Bradford's huge importance in Victorian times and the first half of the 20C. It only became a cathedral in 1919. From a cycling POV, there can be few less pleasant routes in this country than approaching central Bradford down Leeds Old Road, then leaving up Wakefield Road.