Cathedrals Cycle Route challenge

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cathedrals Cycle Route challenge

Post by Mick F »

Downloaded a map, and briefly put the locations of the cathedrals.
Only a rough outline, but it shows them reasonably well.
My screen isn't big enough to get it better, and I know that I could have scrolled up a tad to get Truro in properly.
Cathedrals.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Spent an our or three with the computer sketching out a reasonable route and circuit.
I stress this map isn't positionally accurate and the distances aren't spot on, but it gives an idea.
Total circuit is just over 2,000miles.
I would do Truro and back as a separate task from here. 40odd miles each way from home, which would mean getting to Wells would be 115miles, and getting home from Exeter 50miles.
Cathedrals.png
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

That's excellent! Also because it makes a logical up-one-side of the country and down-the-other route. And as I said up thread (I think) every cathedral comes with a nice town, accommodation, cafes and such like - what's not to like!

Personally i would just pick a road route between the cathedrals each day - I doubt that there would be much of a problem finding nice B and other minor roads.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

horizon wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 8:50pm That's excellent!
Thanks! :D

Main issue (for me) is that I'm not getting any younger. 2000mile bike ride seems a bit frightening. Four weeks?
Cost of accommodation comes into this too. Sounds expensive.

I did my 2008 Grand Tour with 1500miles in three weeks, but to be honest it was a bit rushed.
Train to Edinburgh, road out via Pitlochry to Inverness then the West of Scotland and down via Skye and then The Mull and Arran and then SW Scotland, across to Northumberland and North Yorkshire, across to Lancashire and then North and Mid Wales, before popping out into the Westcountry and to home.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 9:40pm
horizon wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 8:50pm That's excellent!
Thanks! :D

Main issue (for me) is that I'm not getting any younger. 2000mile bike ride seems a bit frightening. Four weeks?
Cost of accommodation comes into this too. Sounds expensive.

I did my 2008 Grand Tour with 1500miles in three weeks, but to be honest it was a bit rushed.
Train to Edinburgh, road out via Pitlochry to Inverness then the West of Scotland and down via Skye and then The Mull and Arran and then SW Scotland, across to Northumberland and North Yorkshire, across to Lancashire and then North and Mid Wales, before popping out into the Westcountry and to home.
Of course you could do it, just don't take the Chopper and the trailer. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Been stewing over this subject all yesterday evening, and been chatting to SWBO this morning about it too.
We reckon it'll take five or even six weeks.

Do I want to be away from home that long?
No I don't, and not just because of the expense in accommodation.

Latest idea, is to buy a cheap secondhand vehicle - van perhaps - and drive to (say) the Bristol area to a B+B. Stay the night, then leave the vehicle there and ride to Wells, Bristol, Gloucester, Hereford, then back to collect the van and move on to the next area to repeat.

This will speed up the whole process and keep the daily cycling mileage down and also the accommodation expense.
The vehicle can be sold after completion more than likely for the price I paid for it.

I wouldn't need to carry luggage on the bike or tow a trailer.

Any comments?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We'e used rented vehicles to enable touring, and I'm thinking of it for a big family cycling holiday. It solves a lot of problems. Cars and vans are cheap, unlike minibuses and MPVs. And one way rental doesn't add much and can help sometimes.

Why do you need a van rather than something smaller and cheaper?

And is that plan with a support driver or solo?

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 8:57am :lol: :lol:
Been stewing over this subject all yesterday evening, and been chatting to SWBO this morning about it too.
We reckon it'll take five or even six weeks.

Do I want to be away from home that long?
No I don't, and not just because of the expense in accommodation.

Latest idea, is to buy a cheap secondhand vehicle - van perhaps - and drive to (say) the Bristol area to a B+B. Stay the night, then leave the vehicle there and ride to Wells, Bristol, Gloucester, Hereford, then back to collect the van and move on to the next area to repeat.

This will speed up the whole process and keep the daily cycling mileage down and also the accommodation expense.
The vehicle can be sold after completion more than likely for the price I paid for it.

I wouldn't need to carry luggage on the bike or tow a trailer.

Any comments?
Please do it, write it up and plenty of photographs. I'll be one eager viewer. :)
PH

Post by PH »

I can't make my mind up about this.
On the one hand, I like a tour with a theme and many of these are suitable distances to make interesting routes, though maybe not faithfully following the guides. The kid in me likes the box ticking element, like the I-Spy books I remember well.
On the other hand, the adult in me thinks each and every one of these deserves a good look around, I can imagine my late farther rolling his eyes at the idea of collecting these without having a proper look, he'd have a point. It then gets complicated, parking a loaded touring bike in a city centre, opening times, cost, time... and of course how many Cathedrals you can look round in a week without getting fatigued by them.
I think I might have a go at stringing a few together and seeing how it goes, maybe partly train assisted, or at least that option. That shouldn't be too hard, they're mostly in major cities. There's a few I could get the train to and collect another on the ride home.

Edited for typos :oops:
Last edited by PH on 22 Jun 2021, 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The kid in me likes the box ticking element, like the I-Spy books I remember well.
YHA stamps used to be something of a motivator for me. I'd agree with your comments about cathedrals. Why not visit all the main dealers of some make of car? No reason to linger but while you are in there, you can look out of the big windows and keep an eye on your bike.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 11:30am It then gets complicated, parking a loaded touring bike in a city centre, opening times, cost, time... a
I think some of these problems might be alleviated by the support currently given by the cathedrals to the concept. You could also ask to bring your bike inside, enquire about a "season ticket" to all CofE cathedrals and such like.
and of course how many Cathedrals you can look round in a week without getting fatigued by them.
That's a fair point but in fact they become more interesting (IMV) the more you see in succession and note the differences.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’ve done a number of mini cathedral tours and always found them very rewarding. This scale is something else and I wish Mick good luck. I do hope he gives it a go.
John
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

A long-distance riding vicar suggested a nice themed ride:
Holy Island to Iona

(churches/abbeys/monasteries on both, pretty ancient and interesting)

Happens to be a nice route [may require ferries and/or tide times] ! Something like https://goo.gl/maps/5ou5fWQYPmLNQVnF7 , a bit under 300 miles. With options to add many nice diversions :-)

Anyone got a similar suggestion for something of a few/several days, rather than 2,000 miles?
(MODS: feel free to kill or split off if this gets out of hand).
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I notice the list is Anglican cathedrals and misses the 21 Catholic ones
NUKe