Cathedrals Cycle Route challenge

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonineaston

Re: Cathedrals Cycle Route challenge

Post by simonineaston »

I'm thinking that the aquisition of the Pevnsers in which the 42 Anglican cathedrals appear will take longer than the ride itself!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Reminds me of that put down of Heseltine as the kind of man who had to buy his own furniture.

: - )

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 10:28pm .......... I think Mick F's ahead of us with his church visits already!!
:lol: :lol:

226 parish churches in Cornwall as the diocese of Truro. Also the diocese has two of them in England! :shock: :shock:
Done those two too making 228.
St Giles on the Heath (St Giles), and Virginstow (St Bridget)

There are five on The Isles of Scilly, but to take a bike there, let alone going to each of the islands is very much cost-prohibitive. Sadly.
St Mary's (St Mary), St Agnes (St Agnes), Bryher (All Saints), St Martin's (St Martin's) and Tesco (St Nicholas).

Total number done 228, but five more to do if I win the lottery. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Well I've made a start, eight visited in June - Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham, Sheffield, York, Ripon, Durham, Newcastle. 430 miles ridden and two trains, They've all been incredible buildings, some of which I'd like to go back to and spend longer. I don't see how you can do this as anything other than a box ticking project, some don't open till 10.00 and last admission is sometimes 16.00, so even doing two in a day and riding between them would be challenging if you intended a good look around each. Also the collecting of stamps isn't straightforward, I only have three in my I-Spy book, Birmingham was closed when I got there, Newcastle is shut for renovation, Ripon was open with a choir practice taking place but no one else around, I didn't queue to get into York which I've been to several times before, and the stamp at Sheffield was in the gift shop that closes at 2.30! With those that were open the most consistent thing is the blank look when you explain what you're doing, no one seems to know anything about it! The exception was Leicester, where I had a very warm welcome, they even lit a candle for me, a specific Cathedrals Challenge one, it occurred to me later that I may have been mistaken for the official relay that's going around.
Not that it matters. I like a theme to my riding and this one is as good as any, some of the rides have been excellent, by the nature of the locations there's a fair bit of urban riding, some a little tedious, but some as interesting as the destinations. Anyway, I shall continue till they're all done or I'm bored with it. This month I'm hoping to string together another five over a couple of days, Gloucester, Hereford, Worcester, Lichfield, Chester and maybe Manchester to Wakefield if I have another spare day.

ImageUntitled-1 by Paul, on Flickr
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've made a start too - I've bought the passport. Nearest stamp is the handy cathedral in town :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
RickH

Post by RickH »

My partner in crime on the tandem, Clare, & I joined the official relay ride from Chester Cathedral to Liverpool Cathedral on a route largely devised by a lady from one of the Wirral-based Cycling UK groups.

It was a very pleasant 23 miles largely along the top of the central ridge of the Wirral to catch a ferry across the Mersey from Birkenhead to Pierhead, where we were met by folk from Merseyside CTC for guided tour of around 2 & a half miłes round some of the sights (the more direct route would have been around 1.5) before finishing off at the Anglican Cathedral.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

RickH wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 9:04pm
by a lady from one of the Wirral-based Cycling UK groups.
None other than Dr Janet Atherton OBE
Chair of Trustees at CUK
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

... wrote: I'm thinking that the aquisition of the Pevnsers in which the 42 Anglican cathedrals appear will take longer than the ride itself!!
The descriptions given by Historic England, for example (1), look like extracts from Pevsner.

(1) https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ry/1129227
PH

Post by PH »

simonineaston wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 8:29pm I've made a start too - I've bought the passport. Nearest stamp is the handy cathedral in town :lol:
Too late for you, but for anyone else, you can save the postage and buy one at any of the cathedrals.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Good tip! I should of thought of that myself, given that I'm down near my home town cathedral most Fridays, although dear old god might be less than impressed that I'm en route to the site of colossal ritual bachanalial debauchery, in the form of a small pizza and a couple of halves at the Stag & Hounds. Yikes!!
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A man has crossed the finish line after completing his two-wheeled bid to raise money for a drug rehab centre by cycling to all the UK's cathedrals.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-61632984