Navigation

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beeb

Navigation

Post by beeb »

Last year we toured was 2019.
We cycled from Elgin to Newcastle, then from Amsterdam to Narbonne. We got the biebusback to York then cycled back to Elgin.

We did a lot of route planning using cycletravel, which was great. When on the road we used Google map etc.

When covid passes, it will unleash a need for us to tour again. So what do you use to help with navigation?Sent
Thanks in advance, this forum is great, I learn so much
Last edited by beeb on 23 May 2021, 8:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Navigation

Post by Jdsk »

Planning: Everything I can find... maps, books, web forums, blogs, route databases...

Touring: A Garmin Edge 1000 with preloaded routes, and occasionally its built-in routing. Sometimes Apple Maps or Google Maps in towns. My wife likes a paper map that covers the whole tour.

Everyday: Apple Maps or Google Maps on an iPhone.

All of the time: Sun angle, terrain recognition, DR estimates, roadsigns...

Jonathan
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

Windows Phone has been the most perfect navigation device I've ever found.

Military-level accuracy, maps can be seen in bright sunlight and it just sips power. An no extra roaming charged. Its a real pity they stopped making them.

I used to use car-dashboard type Garmins but their battery life was utterly cr@p.
Last edited by jacobean on 23 May 2021, 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

I can recommend maps etc for pre planning then Komoot and Garmin Edge Explore for on the road. Komoot works within Garmin, so you can follow a route if you like. You can use the app on tablet or desktop to plot the route. Then open up on the garmin. If leaving a town with lots of turns you can even use turn by turn speech on the phone! Other apps might work in a similar way to Komoot. Garmin Edge Explore is at the low end of Garmin price range, only £200 approx for map navigation.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I use a combination of MapOut and cycle.travel, sent to my Garmin Edge using the dynamic.watch RouteCourse app (https://dynamicwatch.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... w-it-works)
mjr

Post by mjr »

I tend to plot routes on cycle.travel then download them to AAT on my Android phone but that's as a backup.

On the road, I use cue cards on my handlebar bag, which is part of why I prefer signed routes or at least a stream of village names to follow on signs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

I use a combination of Garmin Connect and Google maps to plan then send a route to my Garmin Edge Explore.
Steve
ossie

Post by ossie »

Cycletravel downloaded to a Garmin etrex, well two actually as I use one as a reserve (Hcx & 20x) - using Lithium batteries.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

jacobean wrote: 23 May 2021, 8:22pm Windows Phone has been the most perfect navigation device I've ever found.

Military-level accuracy, maps can be seen in bright sunlight and it just sips power. An no extra roaming charged. Its a real pity they stopped making them.
I used to use car-dashboard type Garmins but their battery life was utterly cr@p.
I have a spare Windows phone, so what Apps do you use please ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

I use the in-built Here Maps apps.

A complete joy to use.