Trent and Mersey Canal, Stoke>South

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Trent and Mersey Canal, Stoke>South

Post by PH »

Does anyone know what the surface of this is like? The mapping (Cycletravel) shows it as having an unpaved section for a few miles. Experience shows that can mean anything from a need to take it steady, to a struggle to push. Thinking of doing a train assist ride, so taking the folder would make sense, except it's not the best on rougher surfaces, though there looks to be a pretty straightforward road alternative..
Thanks
Sweep

Re: Trent and Mersey Canal, Stoke>South

Post by Sweep »

how far south of stoke are you going?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

The part I'm interested in at the moment is the section between Stoke and Stone.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I would say it is cycleable - though I did it on a bike with 26 inch wheels a couple of years ago on a night ride from wolverhampton to the north west.

Yes a fair bit that wasn't surfaced/tarmacced but I don't recall anything rough - definitely had no need to push even though I was fully loaded.
Sweep
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

That’s fine if I remember rightly (though my experience is by boat rather than bike) - much of it has been upgraded as part of NCN5. Some of the rural sections south of Stone are a bit rougher.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks both, I've plotted a route along it.
If I switch the PC off and get some work done I'll have time to find out for myself tomorrow...
essexian

Post by essexian »

If you find the path not to your liking by the time you reach the Longton Road, the road route from there to Stone via Barlaston Old Road and Meaford Road is very easy riding.... unless it's raining cats and dogs like last time I did it when I almost drown in the puddles.... little chance of that tomorrow!
videoman

Post by videoman »

Stoke to Stone is fine on any bike as I cycle it regularly but once you past Aston south of Stone can be muddy in wet weather.
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks all. Made it today, a bit later than planned, but hey-ho, that's how plans go!
It was as described absolutely fine, indeed most of the unsurfaced section was better than some of the surfaced, particularly a bumpy early section where the tree roots have won the battle with the tarmac.
It is a lovely stretch of canal. a little unexpected, tree lined and very pretty. Trentham Lock looks impressive, taller than most I've seen, I don't know hoe it ranks against others.
ImageT&M Stoke by Paul, on Flickr

This ride complemented one I did last week, between them I've visited all the places called "On" or "Upon" the Trent!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for reporting back.
appreciated.
yes it does look good - next time I'll do it during the day rather than sidling past Stoke railway station at 3am :)
Sweep