Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Europe July.????

Post by willem jongman »

Travelling via another EU country would be illegal, but the chance to get caught would not be that large. Even so, I would prefer people from countries with a high infection rate to stay away now that our own infection rate is rapidly coming down again after the explosion following my govenment's folly to lift all restrictions prematurely: today 200 per millon, with r=0.7. Anyway, many campsites are fully booked at the moment.
As for the Dutch version of the EU corona app, this is for Dutch citizens/residents. You log into it with the secure digital identification tool that you also use to file your tax report, claim your state pension, apply for a new driving licence and much more. Citizens from other EU countries can use their own country's version of the EU app. I don't know what arrangements have been made with the UK, but I know the EU offered the UK and some other countries that they could join if they wanted, but apparently this was not taken up for a long time. Thus far travel within the EU is more or less unrestricted for fully vaccinated EU citizens, although Germany e.g. demands that I register online before I enter Germany. UK citizens no longer automatically have this right irrespective of the covid digital app. This is not bureaucracy but a consequence of Brexit.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think it is important to distinguish between two different things: the first is what digital document or other document you need to prove your UK vaccination status to the satisfaction of authorities in EU countries, and increasingly also to museums, bar or restaurants. The second is what EU countries permit to or require from travellers from other countries, and from travellers from outside the EU in particular. Is full vaccination enough, or do countries want a PCR test and/or quarantine on top of that, or even a complete ban? With regards to travellers from outside the EU individual EU countries are free to be as retrictive or not as they see fit.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 9:17pm Thus far travel within the EU is more or less unrestricted for fully vaccinated EU citizens, although Germany e.g. demands that I register online before I enter Germany. UK citizens no longer automatically have this right irrespective of the covid digital app. This is not bureaucracy but a consequence of Brexit.
I think this is not true. In normal times, once we get in the Schengen zone, we can travel unrestricted within it for the 90 or whatever days. Brexit makes it harder to get in, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Re: Europe 2021

Post by MrsHJ »

Can we change the thread name to Europe 2021 so that it can keep going or should we have a new thread? It has lots of useful info for those of us planning to be in Europe over the next few months especially on stuff like travel restrictions, getting the french app etc. Those comments don’t fit well within a general touring thread as no one who’s staying in the UK needs to worry about pcr tests etc.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MrsHJ wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 1:49pm Can we change the thread name to Europe 2021 so that it can keep going or should we have a new thread? It has lots of useful info for those of us planning to be in Europe over the next few months especially on stuff like travel restrictions, getting the french app etc. Those comments don’t fit well within a general touring thread as no one who’s staying in the UK needs to worry about pcr tests etc.
I have done so. I am not going to changes all of the posts, though so individual posts will still show up in searches as 'Europe July????".
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The infection rate in the Netherlands continues to go down, now at 120 per million.
Hospital admissions have also started to come down to about 50 a day, with a total of just over 500 in regular hospital care, and about another 200 on Intensive Care Units. Obviously, this is still too high.
Out of a population over 11 years old of 15.5 million some 12.5 million have now been vaccinated, and more than 9 million of them have been fully vaccinated. Second doses for the remainder have been brought forward, to have as many as possible of the over 11 years old fully vaccinated by mid August, before schools reopenen later in August. Surveys indicate that a total of 90% of the population 11 years and older have either been vaccinated already, or want to be vaccinated, so there are still some 1.5 million first doses to go, plus another 5 million second doses. It is those 1.5 million last ones who say they want to get vaccinated but have not yet done so that will represent the biggest challenge.
The Port Authority of Rotterdam has extended its vaccination program for ships' crews, with mobile teams offerring vaccination to all crews that arrive in port.
As for travel into Germany, the Geman Police have intensified their patrolling of the German borders. Free Covid testing for travellers from the Netherlands, or for Dutch residents coming back, is available at multiple locations in the Netherlands.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Vorpal wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 2:47pm
MrsHJ wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 1:49pm Can we change the thread name to Europe 2021 so that it can keep going or should we have a new thread? It has lots of useful info for those of us planning to be in Europe over the next few months especially on stuff like travel restrictions, getting the french app etc. Those comments don’t fit well within a general touring thread as no one who’s staying in the UK needs to worry about pcr tests etc.
I have done so. I am not going to changes all of the posts, though so individual posts will still show up in searches as 'Europe July????".
Thank you.

As an aside which isn’t relevant at the moment as you can’t really travel if you aren’t jabbed my insurance won’t cover anything medical to do with COVID unless I’m fully vaccinated.

]
ossie

Post by ossie »

No issues entering Germany or France for fully vaccinated UK folk it appears. They are both accepting the NHS app (or a printout) as proof of vaccination plus you need to simply fill in an online form.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

ossie wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 6:23pm No issues entering Germany or France for fully vaccinated UK folk it appears. They are both accepting the NHS app (or a printout) as proof of vaccination plus you need to simply fill in an online form.
Provided that your vaccine doses are acceptable, yes.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ossie

Post by ossie »

st599_uk wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 6:47pm
ossie wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 6:23pm No issues entering Germany or France for fully vaccinated UK folk it appears. They are both accepting the NHS app (or a printout) as proof of vaccination plus you need to simply fill in an online form.
Provided that your vaccine doses are acceptable, yes.
Both France and Germany are accepting the vaccines in question.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Don't forget the "if you are found to have been in contact with someone who tested positive..." If so, you self isolate or quarantine, effectively ruining your holiday.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

I think everyone just has to wait a year or two. Sad for us all.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The first Dutch tourists are returning from their holidays. A fair number turn out to have been infected, most of them unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated.
The German police have patrolled their borders quite intensively for the last few days. The percentage of travellers with incomplete or missing documents was very low.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I anticipated these problems from the start. I'm thus happy to stay in Blighty until next year. I sense there is no end in sight, particularly in far flung places beyond Europe that I want to visit. The West needs to accept that we need to work out how the rich Western countries can help the rest of mankind.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

willem jongman wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 6:06am The first Dutch tourists are returning from their holidays. A fair number turn out to have been infected, most of them unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated.
The German police have patrolled their borders quite intensively for the last few days. The percentage of travellers with incomplete or missing documents was very low.
Are they all returning from one country?
We have many Dutch visitors here in France, you'll see Dutch registered cars in most coastal towns.