Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jack1

Europe 2021

Post by jack1 »

Wondering when we can travel. Will it be July :( ?????
foxyrider

Re: Europe July.????

Post by foxyrider »

jack1 wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:15pm Wondering when we can travel. Will it be July :( ?????
next year
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Travel within the EU will be relaxed sooner rather than later. The problem is what is now called the delta variant of the corona virus. This is far more prevalent in the EU than in the UK, so more and more EU countries are restricting travel from the UK because they want to keep this mutation out for as long as possible, and certainly until after everyone has had a second vaccine dose. Vaccination in the EU is progressing very rapidly, but even so it will be a while until everyone has had their second dose.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Did you mean more prevalent in the UK?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Sorry I was too tired: yes far more prevalent in the UK than in the EU.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

willem jongman wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 8:43am Sorry I was too tired: yes far more prevalent in the UK than in the EU.
At the moment......
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Will be interesting to see if the next update to the NHS App Covid Jab QR code is EU Green Pass compliant or not.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I haven't heard that raised since the discussions with Ireland that I mentioned.

Jonathan

PS:
https://www.digitalhealth.net/2021/06/c ... al-travel/
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 10:17am I haven't heard that raised since the discussions with Ireland that I mentioned.
There's a rumour in the software industry it may be, it would be a bit of a disaster if it isn't as that would add greatly to the hoops that need jumping through.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

News on BBC not good for travel.

"Portugal is set to be moved from UK's green travel lists to amber - meaning that people can only travel there for essential reasons.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps says the move is a "safety first approach" to "give us the best chance of unlocking domestically"

No new countries are being added to the green lists.

Seven more countries are set to be added to the red lists, indicating they should only be visited in extreme circumstances. They are Afghanistan, Bahrain, Costa Rica, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Sudan and Trinidad & Tobago, the BBC understands."

I believe that the lists are updated fortnightly, so that will be getting close to July.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Europe in July, no way, or not worth the bother/potential complications.

Stick to the UK on your bikes - plenty to explore.

My only hope/positive for this hell is that it may benefit a lot of UK destinations - places that won't suffer a lot from the lack of foreign tourists as many of them would head for their guidebook honeypots, but will benefit from UK folk discovering them - I wouldn't be surprised if many places have their best year in decades.
Sweep
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Anybody know the best (and cheapest) way to get a Covid test for travel to Amber countries?
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 4:51pm Anybody know the best (and cheapest) way to get a Covid test for travel to Amber countries?
The requirements for travelling to Amber countries are different for each country and quite a few of them aren't accepting visitors from the UK without good reasons. To return you need to pre-book 2 tests from the short list on the government website and show your booking reference on return. (There's only 2 or 3 labs, but about 20 re-sellers, the cost variation is quite large, but you're looking at about £300 per person)
A novice learning...
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I can only repeat what I have said before: since infections in the EU are going down at breakneck speed it will depend on whether the EU decides that travellers from the UK are safe to recieve. And that does not look very good for now given the proportion of infections with the delta mutation.
In the same way I regret that I cannot visit the UK.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

st599_uk wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 5:00pm

The requirements for travelling to Amber countries are different for each country and quite a few of them aren't accepting visitors from the UK without good reasons. To return you need to pre-book 2 tests from the short list on the government website and show your booking reference on return. (There's only 2 or 3 labs, but about 20 re-sellers, the cost variation is quite large, but you're looking at about £300 per person)
Thank you for your reply.
I am tempted to say " so this Govt, turned it into a cash cow to be mercilessly milked"!
I imagine the quoted figure is for all the tests?
Are all test types acceptable or just specific ones?

Is 'one way' travel an option?
I mean anything could happen!!!