Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Europe July.????

Post by willem jongman »

Well, most Europeans now think of Johnson's Britain as a bit of a rogue state, whatever the Brits themselves may think. It does not really help your case if potential partners discover that you do not honour international treaties that you signed only months before.
Anyway, and to return to the subject of this thread, travel to the EU will be severely limited because of Covid in the UK. It is up to people in the UK to decide how much Johnson is to be blamed for that, but we will do our best to keep the delta variant out as long as possible.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As Ossie says, no need to head to Europe for a break. Down here in the West Country no sign of the usual hoards of Dutch French and German cars which have been replaced by hoards more British cars motorhomes and caravans. The Euro wishful thinking that us Brits are isolated and on our knees is a joke. As for a flood of academia heading to the EU in order to reboard the Euro gravy train good riddance!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Several posts have been removed.

Please do not turn this thread into another Brexit thread.

Thanks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Vorpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 8:51am Several posts have been removed.

Please do not turn this thread into another Brexit thread.

Thanks.
Yes.

Let's keep it as a vaccine thread, we need more of those (especially the ones digging up the history).
nsew

Post by nsew »

By the way, the Delta variant will be the dominant European and worldwide variant in a few short weeks. For some may I suggest sitting yourself down in the corner of a room and repeatedly slapping your face while repeating “I will not take my stupid little foreign holiday this year”.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:23am Down here in the West Country no sign of the usual hoards of Dutch French and German cars
al_yrpal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:23am The Euro wishful thinking that us Brits are isolated and on our knees is a joke.
This is truly a wonderful juxtaposition
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I miss my daughter and grand children coming to visit. I don't miss the inconsiderate British drivers.
I can guarantee that 99 times out of a 100 if I get a close pass the car will have UK plates.
I've put this down to the traffic and crowded roads encountered in the UK. Just makes people more impatient.

It's in everyone's best interest to stay this year, get everyone vaccinated and low infection rates then it may be safe.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

nsew wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 9:29am [French (moderated)]. By the way, the Delta variant will be the dominant European and worldwide variant in a few short weeks. For some may I suggest sitting yourself down in the corner of a room and repeatedly slapping your face while repeating “I will not take my stupid little foreign holiday this year”.
Please show some respect with your choice of language. This is an English and Dutch thread!

(I suspect you're right about the spread of the Delta variant - the virus has never respected international borders for very long.)
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

We will only travel two weeks after we have had our second dose, and only to countries and regions with low infection rates and good discipline (probably Germany therefore). I really want to see those numbers come down quite a bit further, and low numbers of the delta variant.. Also, no flying, no trains and no hotels. Outdoor activities only. With that set of restrictions, I think travel is no different from staying at home, where in our region we also have very low infection rates and high vaccination uptake.
As for the language, I am happy to continue in German or French.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

mjr wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 5:08pm What you wrote still wouldn't be accurate for the Pfizer vaccine, which was approved in the EU+UK (as it was still during the Brexit transition period) by the EMA on 21 December, just under 3 weeks after the UK's MHRA issued "rapid temporary regulatory approval to address significant public health issues such as a pandemic".
Ah yes my mistake. I really need to stop relying on my memory (and old habit from taking exams at Uni). Now I remember that the EMA had originally planned to not meet until between Xmas and New Year and it was pressure from serveral national governments which forced them to bring that meeting forward (I imagine the air was turned blue during that conversation). It's still a lamentably long gap IMO given we approved it on the 2nd I believe.
mjr wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 5:08pm And can you imagine how low take-up would have been in more sceptical countries if they had used the same type of rapid temporary approval as the UK?
To brutally honest I really don't care. I have no care for the EU or any of its citizens above and beyond how much of a threat they are to me, my loved ones and my country.
Last edited by PaulaT on 16 Jun 2021, 10:14am, edited 1 time in total.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

https://youtu.be/DHchYrrcxQk
https://youtu.be/3qouWMwGVHY
Your own government may be more of a threat. And unlike Paula, I care for my friends in other countries.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

As do I Willem.

In my many journy's through, and work within the EU, I've made many good friends and been shown lots of kindness, so wish them the very best through this difficult time.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

And same from me for all my UK friends.
And just now: birth year 1998 in the Netherlands is scheduled for their first dose. It is my son's birth year. Many cheering young people on Facebook and Twitter.
ossie

Post by ossie »

willem jongman wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:12am https://youtu.be/DHchYrrcxQk
https://youtu.be/3qouWMwGVHY
Your own government may be more of a threat. And unlike Paula, I care for my friends in other countries.
Well I'm super happy that you're so concerned for us Willem and now you're posting some nice videos for our perusal The positives are that we only have to worry about our Government. You on the the other hand need to worry about your own and numerous others. :wink:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

willem jongman wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 7:17am Well, most Europeans now think of Johnson's Britain as a bit of a rogue state, whatever the Brits themselves may think. It does not really help your case if potential partners discover that you do not honour international treaties that you signed only months before.....
I agree and I think it does impact how readily EU countries will accept travel and vaccination certification. I suspect most countries don't want to keep changing their entry rules every week <x> allowed in today and then not from Monday ... So aspects like trust and track record must be included in the decision.

New variant detection and action has delays; country gets variant which starts spreading and it's spread quite a bit before a symptomatic person gets tested and their test is sequenced and the new variant is recognised and it maybe becomes a "variant of interest" whilst it is checked and monitored and it continues to spread whilst it is researched to establish the impact of he variant and all the time continuing to spread ...

And given how to date UK seems to get and spread every variant and how a fair number of Conservative backbenchers keep arguing for laxer controls (domestically and for those essential 2 weeks in the Sun ...).

So with UK's track record I suspect many other countries will regard the UK as high risk of future variant spread.

Ian